Amabie - legendary Japanese (partial nudity)

Hi guys,
This is one of my experiments (or attempts) with the theme “Amabie”. A creature of Japanese folklore.I’m sure I need to work more in some areas,
especially looking for references, but, after so long looking at it, I think I managed to get a little satisfied and I believe it is already working.

75 Likes

phuuhh spechless… This is an astonishing and very unique work I’d say.

3 Likes

I’m with Jeremiah, this is stunning.

3 Likes

same this is brilliant

1 Like

Thanks guys! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

This is great work. Could just use a tiny bit of sharpening I guess! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This Looks super Cool!! :star_struck:
I like how ethereal it looks, almost like it’s hair is made from wisps of mist and cloud.

though the beak kinda makes me think of an Oceanic Plague Doctor :sweat_smile:

I applaud you for a Job well done :tada:

. . . I’m just gonna leave you this cake as reward :moon_cake:

1 Like

thanks! this cake arrived at an excellent time, because I had the cup of coffee in hand :smiley:
True, I can also imagine the Plague Dr. and that makes a strong connection with Amabie.
(the idea that Amabie represents in the current pandemic)
I was thinking about making Amabie’s hair based on sea jellyfish. So, I need to work a little more, get more references

1 Like

I also have this feeling. Would you like to suggest an area to be worked on more?
At first I think of ‘hair’. For my idea was to do something close to a sea jellyfish.

Excellent texture work throughout, nice job!

1 Like

At first glance, the whole focus is on the light. If you wanted this, good. :slight_smile: I think I would try to get tiny little reflections in the eyes and make the arms a bit better readable. A tiny edge light would make it easier to understand and to read. But who am I to tell you what to do, first I should to these things better myself. Haha.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your comment. It was intentional to leave the creature in the mist, steam or as something ethereal. BUT that was also a kind of shortcut, a way to solve everything more quickly. From the head, what mattered most was that the beak could be seen clearly. That’s why I didn’t care so much about eyes (as much as I wanted to :D) Now, from your comment, I can see better that the light doesn’t fade gradually in a more natural and studied way.

2 Likes

May I ask how big, pixel x pixel the image was when you painted it?

1 Like

3053 x 4239 (300 ppi)
(I usually start my drawings with conventional sizes like A5, A4 … but some drawings can end up in unconventional formats/size)

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply. I think that would gag my current setup but I am getting a new rig soon and this information will give a starting resolution to experiment with.

1 Like

you are welcome!
My hardware is already outdated (it is a 2013 computer) it is still possible to work smoothly, but at times there is irritating slowness, as I use an HDD. Equipment prices are quite expensive here in Brazil at the moment. So, I don’t even know when I’m going to invest in a new PC or SSD :confused:
Good luck with your new setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using my daughters laptop from 2011 and the screen can’t be put down lol. I sincerely am always grateful for everything. When I did that Leonard charcoal picture at 2000 pixels or so it was painful, like dragging the brush through mud.

2 Likes

AMAZING. i love the tones :0

1 Like

uau, I can imagine. And I also realize that you have a lot of patience, something that every good artist has.

thank you! I think I can say that it is a ‘mono_tone_painting’ :grin:

1 Like