An honest question about the sluggish/delayed brush and canvas issue

Basically without making it redundant or anymore repetitive, I’ve been wondering if there has been a better option within the confines of the current (nightly) release ver. 5.2.0-prealpha, besides the obligatory “fiddle with the instant-preview settings and the performance settings” or “use the 8-bit colouration configuration and keep the canvas small” go-tos?

I am aware the delays and graphical hiccups and struggles can be pressed on the ambiguous choice on Apple’s part to let go of OpenGL, but I’m simply wondering if there’s any other renderer that’s easy to install into the system and substitute OpenGL? I haven’t found a definite answer, but I am aware of Google’s own ANGLE software, but wasn’t sure if that was a system wide extension that had to be built or installed, or it’s simply something to tack onto a krita installation as if I were making a fork of it.

I am as well aware that one of the devs in another forum mentioning there had been a bug in the programme when the x86_x64 shenanigans were happening, but it was a forum reply from 2021 or earlier, so I cannot exactly recall or be affirmed that it had been tackled or not.

tl;dr: Would a different renderer help remedy the brush lag issue? And if so, what can I do to tackle this issue once and for all? Love the software btw.

Thanks to anyone willing to help out, and I’m sure this can help not only but the developers as well as everyone else that might be stuck with this issue~! :kissing_heart:

My system specifications:
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
CPU: 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
RAM/MEMR: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
GRPHS: Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

Hi. I believe brush performance will depend mostly on the cpu.

Make sure you have configured Krita to use all available cores. Krita preferences → Performance → Advanced tab → CPU Limit:

Krita preferences → Performance → Advanced tab → Debug logging of OpenGL framerate
If the canvas fps is low (constantly below 60): you could try running the display at half resolution and see if it makes any difference on canvas rendering speed. (You might need to use a third party tool if it’s not available in the display system settings.)

Also maybe check cpu temp and frequencies. Could be a case of dust and old thermal paste. Last time I cleaned the cpu cooler it dropped by 20 or so °c. :sweat_smile: