And again the color

I came to the conclusion that Krita is still not suitable for me for professional work … I was exhausted with experiments with profiles. Not only do the files still look dusty, they now also change saturation every time they are opened. I have tried countless variations of different profiles. There are no special changes. And it would be fine if these changes were not floating. Maybe it only works with Windows? But, apparently, I still have to look for a working pirated version of Photoshop. Because I can’t predict what color result I’ll get in Krita. With the great pleasure that I get in the process of drawing, as a tool, Krita is currently unreliable. Maybe I’m still wrong. I would like to hear advice from an artist who works professionally in the program. And prepares files both for the Internet and for print. I will be grateful.

So, using the same machine and the same file viewer, your Krita artwork changes saturation? That’s awful.

I haven’t experienced that on Windows 10 or Linux Mint. Maybe it’s because you’re working in a different colorspace than I am. Which one do you use?

1 Like

I use the default srgb. But I tried almost all the options for srgb. And it had no effect. Tried both 8 and 16 bits per channel. And floating point… Useless. I’m very upset … And I don’t know what to do.

It can be quite annoying, figuring this stuff out. I wish there was a step-by-step tutorial for setting up Krita to output sRGB images that will display the same in different applications, to the extent possible.

In the meantime, I’m sure there’s a fix for your problem. Could you share screenshots of

• Krita with a document open, with your typical color space settings.
  • The settings you have under Color Management in the configuration - both the “General” and “Display” tabs
  • The export dialog with the settings you use when exporting a jpg or png or whatever it is you usually export from Krita

This is the final use case for profiles and settings. But they didn’t give much

What format are you saving as? JPG, for example, doesn’t support 16-bit and I have had problems exporting higher bit depth images to 8-bit formats in Krita without first converting them to 8-bit.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you have your display set to AdobeRGB, while your OS and viewer applications probably are using sRGB. This would cause a difference in how things look, I think.

2 Likes

jpg. But I’ve tried different options. And direct export from 16 bit depth. and previously converted to 8 bit. There was no effect. The colors are dusty.

This is the latest version of the settings. Before that, both displays were srgb. I did not notice the difference. On mobile devices, the picture looks even worse.

And if the working space is also sRGB, and the color space in export settings likewise, do you still get this problem?

Yes. The same problem

Can you please also add a screenshot of the PNG export dialog so we can look at the options there?

Adobe RGB is a wide gamut while sRGB is a very narrow gamut, and lots of applications don’t understand anything other than sRGB. Usually on “normal”, aka narrow gamut displays (roughly equivalent sRGB), there is not much problem with color management, because even if there are differences between displays, they are usually not that big and they are consistent with any other images, made in Krita or otherwise.

But with wide gamut displays… it’s not that obvious how to set everything up.

In general, if you want the result picture to be in sRGB, there is no point in creating documents in Adobe RGB profile, unless just for debugging purposes.

But, first, it would be best if you just find yourself some picture in sRGB/8bit integer PNG file and make sure that your image in Krita and outside of Krita look the same. It must be PNG file because if you export from .kra to PNG, it’s often converted, but if you just open a PNG file, then it will be the exact same file.

1 Like

You might have already known this, but there is a nice page on colour managed workflow in the documentation - Color Managed Workflow — Krita Manual 5.0.0 documentation

Lastly I wish to ask is your monitor color calibrated?

1 Like

I have read this article before, thanks. I didn’t calibrate the monitor on purpose. But on the same monitor, files after exporting to jpg from Photoshop do not look as dusty as after exporting from Krita. This fact confuses me.

I don’t need png. I need a jpg. Dialog window I published earlier

You are using 16 bit colour profile which I believe jpg format doesn’t support. And also you are using a different colour profile than srgb which most display screen and the normal image viewers support. Use 8bit srgb colour profile and also set the display profile to srgb like shown in the screenshot below

Working in 16 bit and saving a jpg will convert it to 8 bit automatically while saving which may not give good result. If you want to work in 16 bit then convert it to 8 bit manually before saving the jpg.

Also keep consistent colour profiles across the workflow. If you intend to check it on screen then srgb is best, most monitors do not support adobe rgb and only show you on average 80% of colours in that profile unless you have a monitor which supports 100% adobe rgb.

For printing use the colour profile of your printer to soft proofing.

I am just guessing and giving you suggestions based on the screenshots.

1 Like

Thank you! I will use your advice :handshake: