Bucket fill page

hi i’m new here, been watching you guys for a while. well i have an issue with filing a selected area with color, instead of filling that area it fills the in tare page. wasn’t an issue in 4.2.9.

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It shouldn’t be an issue with 4.3.0, which has just an additional option facility in the Tool Options docker for the Fill tool.

Have you accidentally selected Fast Mode in the Tool Options docker?

Can you post a fullscreen .png screenshot showing the Layers docker, the Tool Options docker and the selection before you do the fill action?
Also, which selection tool do you use to make the selection?

I didn’t use fast mode, never used to be honest. I use debian testing 32bit I just upgraded from 4.2.9 to 4.3.0

Are you using the appimage? I thought appimages were only 64-bit…?

With 4.3.0 and a simple rectangular selection, I can fill the entire selection, or parts of the selection depending on the image content inside the selection.

Your image post isn’t a fullscreen screenshot and doesn’t show the selection or give any clue as to what the situation is or what the problem may be.

I use synaptic package manager to install krita.

as soon I want to fill an area like a her face it just fills the entire screen. And I prefer 32bit because it’s easier on memory. My laptop is junk it only has 4gb of ram.

You have fill tool options set to Sample Current layer and no selection made so it will fill the entire empty ‘skin’ layer.
You need to set it to Sample All Layers so it pays attention to your lineart.

Thanks, I didn’t make that change when I updated so that’s odd.

And please continue to support 32bit systems there’s alot of computers that don’t support 64bit operating systems or don’t utilize it currently like my laptop.

This isn’t so much a choice of the Krita developers but of your operating system’s developers. some already made efforts to ditch 32 bit entirely, like Apple for example. Some Linux distributions also don’t have a 32 bit version anymore. At some point you’re either stuck with old versions of your software on an old OS or you have to upgrade your hardware.

Anyway, did you have a look into the colorize mask tool already? it produces much better and cleaner results for your kind of task than the bucket fill tool and lets you flat color a simple line art in a matter of minutes.

https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/tools/colorize_mask.html

1 Like

“Some” is good, almost all major ones dropped it by now, like Ubuntu (soon enough all derivatives too), Fedora, Arch (and derivatives), OpenSuse…
It’s even been suggested to drop IA32 support from the kernel itself, because it’s in rather bad shape now (thanks intel for all the security issues…)

Just out of curiousity, which CPU are we talking about here? Intel Atom aside, the last CPUs that didn’t support 64-bit were Pentium 4 Northwood (even Prescott already had it) and Athlon XP, those are 16+ years old CPUs…

2 Likes

That could be my mistake. I thought I made the proper conversion between the old sampling setting and the new one. You can report it on bugs.kde.org - saying that the old setting isn’t respected in case like yours.

I haven’t, never heard of it.

The thing is in my case 64bit is only good with 8gb or more. It’s pointless on systems with less. Krita can be a ram hug but I like it. I just wish linux would work on 32 bit more instead of ditching it. Debian has no plans on cutting it off so I’m going to keep using it. And my system is a pentium dual core. While my main desktop is a pentium 3 a dual CPU system with 4gb of ram ati radeon hd 3650 and 64gb compact flash card with a compact flash to ide adapter.

I don’t want to discuss the details about the bitnes of OSes being more than the addressable memory and linux kernels being able to address more than 4 GB of RAM with a 32 bit system just fine when you set the right switches.

Just want to add that I find Krita is using a reasonable amount of RAM and when you get into the semi professional space of digital art 16 GB or more uis just nothing. That’s why I have 32 and my professional friends have 64 or more :slight_smile:
With so much in life, what you need is use case dependent. 8 GB wouldn’t be enough to opeb most kra files for me without serious swapping x3.

Edit: sorry for the typos and all. I’m on my mobile.

64gb of ram is insane. I shouldn’t need that much.

Running a 64-bit OS with 4GB RAM is not at all pointless, I did it myself long enough…
Sticking with 32-bit is more downsides that advantages IMHO.

You’re crippling the performance quite a bit for a number of reasons.

• x86-64 offers twice as many registers as IA32, that simply generates more efficient code which alone gains ~10%.
  • any math with 64-bit integer runs much faster since they can be done in one instructions due to 64-bit register width. Though granted, that’s mostly a cryptography thing, but not exclusively
  • finally, a 32-bit distribution like Debian are meant for old hardware, like Athlon XP. Since those CPUs didn’t even have SSE2, the compiler will have to use x87 instructions for floats math, which at least on intel CPUs is signifficantly slower than even scalar SSE2, let alone (auto-)vectorized code. Only applications supporting multiple code paths will be able to benefit from newer instructions. For krita that’s only a small portion of the most heavily used compositing code…

And the “but 32-bit needs less RAM” is really not that dramatic in most applications, with something like Krita only a tiny fraction of the memory stores pointers, and 64-bit still has the benefit that your application doesn’t just crash hard when it reaches 3GB memory usage and thus runs out of memory addresses.

1 Like

You probably don’t need too. But as you get deeper into the rabbit hole of digital art your hardware needs will grow. I upgraded when I wanted to do 8K paintings. An acquaintance of me hwo does 3D art and renderings just told me that “32 cores just don’t cut it” and his 4 graphics cards running in parallel cost more than my entire gear xD .
But we’re getting off topic.

I do 720p sketches I try to stay 1080p or less.

This.
Also the talk about registers reminds me of the days I had to program on micro controllers. It was interesting but I’m glad it was just for a few months. Hated to start every second line with ASM { and learning a slightly new dialect of assembler for every chip on the board x3.