Call to action: help do user testing of the Transform Tool in development version of Krita!

Repost of @tiar’s reddit post

Last version of Krita (4.2.8) had some serious issues with the Transform Tool. Most users fortunately didn’t get them, but on some systems they were severe enough to cause instant crashes in various completely normal usage of the tool. Our developer Dmitry recently made some significant changes to the tool: it should fix the issues, but of course one developer cannot test it as thoroughly as it would be tested in normal usage of Krita (that was the reason for 4.2.8 having those issues at all. if they were caught in November, they would be fixed back then as well, not in January).

Because of that, we’d like to invite anyone who has some time to spare and want to help out Krita to test Krita Next version from the website.

Deadline: January 29th (because later we’re gonna make a beta release, hopefully with the transform tool already working correctly).

Short manual for those that don’t know how it works:

Windows

1. Download the .zip version and -debug.zip version from the website under the link “Windows” in the Krita Next area.

2. Unpack the .zip file somewhere.

3. If you wish, you can also unpack the -debug.zip version as explained here.

4. Play with Krita.

5. Report under this post any issues with the Transform Tool that you see: crashes, infinite freezes, disappearing content (please try to remember how did you get the issue, steps how to make it appear again).

Linux

1. Download the appimage (Krita Next -> Linux).

2. Make it executable.

3. Run in console.

4. Play with Krita.

5. Report under this post any issues with the Transform Tool that you see: crashes, infinite freezes, disappearing content, ASSERTs that you see in the console output (please try to remember how did you get the issue, steps how to make it appear again).

MacOS

1. Download the dmg (Krita Next -> Mac).

2. Run in console.

3. Play with Krita.

4. Report under this post any issues with the Transform Tool that you see: crashes, infinite freezes, disappearing content, ASSERTs that you see in the console output (please try to remember how did you get the issue, steps how to make it appear again).

The Warp and Cage transform do not work in the appimage: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416505

Thank you so much :heart: I knew that bug fix was too good to be true and complete :stuck_out_tongue:

Similar to AhabGreybeard in Windows. Btw In 4.2.8 transform tool is ok.

Not sure if these are bugs or expected behaviour. I’m using the windows version.

1. Pressing the “undo” key with the Liquify option undos your previous transformation, but also changes the sub-option you were using back to your previously used one. For example, if I use liquify-scale, then switch to liquify-rotate, make a change and then undo it, my sub-option will revert back to liquify-scale. If I make two changes with liquify-rotate and then press undo twice, the first undo will not revert the tool sub-option, but the second one will.
  2. The transform tool does not remember which transformation option you used last time, and resets back to Free transform each time. This happens when clicking the transform tool in the sidebar, and using the shortcut.

I think your point 2. is standard behaviour and has been for a while. Having said that, the Move tool and Fill tool do remember selected options. There’s no reason why you can’t raise a Wishlist report for it though.

For your point 1. there is no-sub option of scale or rotate on the Liquify transform, those are sub-options of the Free transform, so I’m confused by that. I may have misunderstood what you’re doing.

There are some usability ‘wrinkles’ for the transform tool that have been there for a long time and I’m wondering about the best way to gather them all together in one report.

I’ll rely on tiar’s opinion and advice for that.

Thanks for your response! I thought that point 2 might’ve been a bug because I tested this out with other tools (including brush, move, and fill), and they don’t seem to reset your undo option (and if they do, they make it on a separate undo, not tied to the action done with the tool). If this is expected behaviour though, then nothing else to report on that front.

Regarding point 1, I might’ve used the wrong terminology. When I say sub-option, I’m referring to the buttons on the left side of the image (which is the tool options for the Transform tool). The first three are from the top are move, scale, and rotate.

Regarding point 1. I’m sorry but that was me getting confused, not you :slight_smile:

Regarding point 2. I thought you were refering to the way the Transform tool is always in Free mode when you first select it. From what you say, it gets even more complicated and confusing when you consider multiple Undo actions and the tool’s response.

I’m not sure if many little things should go as many little bug reports or some kind of summary listing single report should be made.