Code Of Conduct Proposal

Hey Krita Artists,

Our community has grown slowly over past year here. I love how everybody is helping each other and how everything is debated and deliberated with passion. When we started, we didn’t have any set of rules or terms for using this forum. We adopted what discourse gave and modified it according to our needs as and when we felt the need.

We now have around close to 8000 users, out of which close to 1.5k are active. I think this is the time when we adopt or introduce a code of conduct. By introducing a code of conduct I think we can have a set of rules and etiquette defined for future where the community grows even larger. We do have some guidelines in our FAQs. But it is better to put the guidelines in a dedicated page for references.

I am a member of a local Free Software group, and we have created a code of conduct for that community, which I think is good start for us to adopt with relevant modifications based on our needs.

Here is the proposed code of conduct :

Krita-artists.org - Code of Conduct & Inclusion Policy

Code of Conduct in a nutshell: Be respectful to other members of the forum irrespective of their lifestyle choices. Behave and express opinions in a polite manner accept criticisms and use appropriate language to keep the discourse civil and respectful. You will be warned if you inadvertently break any rules and only repeated offence despite 5 warnings will result in suspension for short period and after exhausting all option a permanent ban will be enforced. The decision will be taken by the group of moderators and admins transparently. We will appreciate if you read this document to better understand the specifics to avoid any future warnings or problems.

We welcome and encourage participation by everyone. There is no discrimination between novices and experts here. This document’s purpose is to lay down the guidelines for your interaction within the Krita Artists community.

No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you, we welcome you and everyone as long as they interact constructively with our community. We respect diversity and promote inclusion. Furthermore, we do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.

This code of conduct applies to all the persons who are signed up on krita-artists.org and the scope of this code of conduct includes this community’s spaces, including public channels, private channels and direct messages, both online and offline. Forum members can be a user of Krita, developer or volunteer in the Krita project or just an enthusiast, this code of conduct equally applies to everyone and governs their behaviour within the krita-artists.org community.

General Expected Behaviour and Actions

1. Be respectful

There will be people with whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that, but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour or personal attacks.

2. Assume good faith

People gathered here on Krita-artists.org have many ways of reaching our common goal of making Krita the best digital painting software for everyone, which may differ from your ways. Assume that other people are working towards this goal

Note that many of our Contributors are not native English speakers or may have different cultural backgrounds. Assume good faith; it is more likely that participants are unaware of their bad behaviour than that they intentionally try to degrade the quality of the discussion

3. Be collaborative

Krita community is large and complex; there is always more to learn. It’s good to ask for help when you need it. Similarly, offers for help should be seen in the context of our shared goal of improving Krita and Free Software projects.

When you make something for the benefit of the project, be willing to explain to others how it works, so that they can build on your work to make it even better.

4. Try to be concise and on-topic

Keep in mind that what you write once will be read by hundreds of persons. Writing a short email, message or post means people can understand the conversation as efficiently as possible. When a long explanation is necessary, consider adding a summary.

Try to bring new arguments to a conversation so that each message or post adds something unique to the thread, keeping in mind that the rest of the thread still contains the other messages with arguments that have already been made.

Try to stay on topic, especially in discussions that are already fairly large.

5. Be open

Krita-artists.org allows for both public and private communication.

Using public posts for Krita related messages is much more likely to result in responses. It also makes sure that any inadvertent mistakes made by people responding will be more easily detected and corrected. This also creates a learning opportunity for everyone.

If you use private messages to discuss Krita related issues due to personal reasons or because you’re discussing sensitive information, respect the other person’s personal space and privacy. Do not demand a response, especially if the other person lets you know that they are not in a position to respond.

If you do not want to receive private messages from others, try to include that information in your profile or selectively mute people who are bothering you. If you receive a private message that you do not want to respond to, consider alerting the forum moderators or admins.

Note that the admins can access every public/private message in the forum.

6. Be patient

Krita is a Free Software project and is maintained by contributors in the community who have different priorities in their own life. If you make a request/suggestion, or ask a question, there is no obligation for anyone to respond or to accept your request/suggestion. If you feel that you’re being not heard, try to find a way forward on your own and/or wait patiently.

7. Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
    • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
    • Don’t post no-content replies.
    • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

8. Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post anything (guides, images, links, videos etc.) which facilitates actions which are illegal. For example link to pirate software, Links to video showing how to remove watermark and use copyrighted artworks etc.

9. Post Only Artwork Done With Krita

Since this is a Krita forum you may not post anything that is not done in Krita or at least used Krita as complementary tool for example while doing a 3D artwork with blender. The majority of the work should be done in Krita. There is an exception for Traditional category, where you can post artwork done only with traditional mediums.

10. In case of problems

While this code of conduct should be adhered to by participants, we recognize that sometimes people may have a bad day, or be unaware of some guidelines in this code of conduct. When that happens, you may reply to them and point out this code of conduct. Such messages may be in public or in private, whatever is most appropriate. However, regardless of whether the message is public or not, it should still adhere to the relevant parts of this code of conduct; in particular, it should not be abusive or disrespectful.

In case the problem persists you may flag the post and a moderator or admin will look into it. To find contact information for these administrators, please see the About page

Toward a Welcoming and Safe Community

At Krita-artists.org we recognize that there are many dimensions of diversity and this may include, but is not limited to the list below.

Click to see the list
  • Physical appearances
  • Background, Family status
  • Caste
  • Religion or lack thereof
  • Food preferences
  • Ethnicity, Indigenousness
  • National origin, Nationality, Immigration status
  • Sex, Sexual orientation
  • Native language, Language
  • Ability, Neuro(a)typicality
  • Health status, Pregnancy status
  • Political affiliation
  • Education, Marital status, Financial status, Employment status, Veteran status
  • Any other dimension of diversity

At Krita-artists.org a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community is one where all volunteers feels valued and respected. We are committed to a non-discriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for participation and collaboration in all of our activities.

Furthermore, we hope to create an environment in which diverse individuals can collaborate and interact in a positive and affirming way.

Examples of behaviour that contributes to creating this sort of environment include:
  • Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the overall community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members

Inclusive Language

Use inclusive language whenever possible. We understand that it is not always possible to use gender-neutral word in some language.

Although not compulsory, we prefer to keep the communication language of the forum as English.

Do not assume the gender of a person you are talking to. Try to be as gender-neutral as possible when you are referring to people. Users can set their preferred pronoun in preference page. Try to use it wherever possible. It is okay to make mistakes but if the other person points it out make sure to correct yourself.

Anti-Harassment Statement

This community will not tolerate harassment of any kind.

Examples of harassment include:
  • Offensive comments related to any dimension(s) of diversity.
  • Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, relationships, drugs, and employment.
  • Deliberate misgendering, using inappropriate pronouns, or use of “dead” or rejected names.
  • Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
  • Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g. textual descriptions like “hug” or “back rub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
  • Threats of violence. Incitement of violence towards any individual or group, including encouraging a person o commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
  • Deliberate intimidation.
  • Stalking or following - online or in the physical world.
  • Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
  • Sustained disruption of discussion.
  • Unwelcome sexual attention.
  • Patterns of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
  • Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
  • Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
  • Publication of non-harassing private communication.
  • Jokes that resemble the above, such as “hipster racism”, still count as harassment even if meant satirically or ironically.

References used for this CoC

This document is a modified version of the document created as a result of collaborative work by the FSCI volunteers based on the following:

If you feel like something needs to be added or changed feel free to propose with a new topic in the #site-feedback category or message the admins

This document is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections in the above. I have modified the document from the original one, but if you think some point is not relevant for us please feel free to correct or suggest something. Please comment if you think this is a good thing to have. Any constructive thought is welcome. My goal is to add this to the about section or relevant section as soon as possible.

13 Likes

So this is how I am getting banned.

1 Like

Hi @raghukamath

Concerning this point, discourse doesn’t provide a way (natively or through a plugin) to force users to read and approve it (a checkbox or a button “I approve”) when creating an account?
And for accounts already created, “freeze” possibility to create new topic/posts until code of conduct has been read and approved?

Otherwise I think people won’t care about it and will never take a look on it…

Concerning this point, I’m afraid that the code of conduct could be to complex for some non native english speakers: it’s really dense because it try to cover all possible cases (good thing) but it could be discouraging for some users not comfortable with english to read it…

I can do translation in French if you want and maybe it could be useful to have some other languages translation?

For this point, what about underaged people?
I mean, all social network have some policies about age (I think at least, users must have usually 12-13 years old)
And I’m not really sure that a so young user would able to understand all code of conduct…

Grum999

1 Like

Why do you think you are getting banned?

Yes discourse doesn’t provide that mechanism, But I think we can link this with the terms and conditions which is required to be accepted. I will take a look at the possibility of including this in some way. For freezing account until you accept, I don’t think discourse has that, it may be that it doesn’t allow you to create account if you don’t choose to accept terms of services. I will do more research about this.

I agree to this point. We can translate it to as many languages as possible and as and when somebody volunteers to translate it. I can do the translation to Hindi.

We have a rule that you need to be above age of 13 to signup here in the terms of service. I agree that young people will find it difficult to understand. Maybe a summary that best explains will help. I am open for ideas for this point.

why is PC taken seriously?

1 Like

Can you elaborate your question please?

like “humankind” instead of “mankind” is incorrect. it came only because PC that says that it embarrass woman.
“human-caused” instead of “man-made” by the same reason.
so too of “people” instead of “guys”.

and so on on all PCs, it’s uncomfortable to use, and it’s just an embarrassment speaking like that.
(and sorry for mentioning political moves. but needed by this topic)

What is PC? Sorry for my ignorance I am a bit outdated in knowledge of abbreviations.

Why is it an embarrassment? It just includes all people. It helps not to let people feel excluded in the conversation. I know saying “guys” “mankind” is common and most often we might have got used to those words right from our childhood but if it keeps away some people, what is the harm in changing the habit a bit?

those words are already for plural, and PC is a waste (and a joke).

What is PC?

Politicly Correct.

(as things that there are very few people that are embarrassed for no reason)

Those words may be plural forms, but they are not gender-neutral, that is the issue. I would like to disagree with your opinion and would suggest you to read a bit more about this topic. Meanwhile, Let us await responses from others.

1 Like

‘Political Correctness’ and ‘Politically Correct’ are disparaging terms intended to mock people or groups who try to use inclusive or non-discriminatory language and treatment of people.

The implication is that people are doing this for ‘political’ reasons rather that any social or moral benefit.

The terms have a long history:
Political correctness - Wikipedia

2 Likes

I’m fine with this, it seems fully compatible with the KDE code of conduct, and more or less how we were moderating to begin with.

1 Like

“Mankind” and “Man-made” are gender-neutral.
Just because it has “man” in it does not mean it refers to the male gender.
This is the only thing I am in disagreement with in this whole proposal.

1 Like

that is exactly what I said.

1 Like

Thanks for going through the text.

It is based upon the guidelines of the United Nations. You can see the exact examples shown here UNITED NATIONS Gender-inclusive language. I feel that it is not gender-neutral.

1 Like

they are PCed too.

language change by culture, and culture by language. so it’s embarrassing that that is the movement of the culture. (that is called PC).

It’s true, by the guidelines it is not gender inclusive.
I think some of us are just afraid of a certain crowd being invited. The kind that likes to witch hunt people for saying/liking the wrong thing. What I just said might be uncomfortable but it is the reality of today.

This proposal is in the right regardless and should go through.
Thank you for the response!