Code Of Conduct Proposal

Hi, @raghukamath!

Please reread the united nations document. It has nothing about referring to a single person as “they”. The only correct use of “they” is referring to the “undefined number of unknown people”.

“Before submitting your document, send it to the focal point for their review; they will return it to you with comments.”

and

Substitute judges must certify that they have familiarized themselves with the record of the proceedings

PS:
Personally, I’m highly against any regulations of the language.

The “politically correct” is something that is relative to each culture and/or social level and/or religion and/or gender and/or (list can be long)…
In synthesis, what is hurting you may not hurt other, what is not hurting you may hurt the other.

That’s a difficult subject :slight_smile:
Goal here is to be as neutral as possible to be sure that nobody is hurted.

It make sense for everybody I think (I hope) to not talk about religion or politic here, so why it will be more difficult about gender? :thinking:

It’s easy to not use he/she/mrs/mr and I already avoid to use them, but I agree there’s some vocabulary that it could be difficult to avoid.
I don’t want to read UN directives and check everything in a dictionary everytime I post something here to ensure that all of what I’m writting in a language that is not my language is inclusive :sweat_smile:

Grum999

1 Like

I have no problem with regulation of language as long as it have a real reason like:

• inappropriate words (leaved to the wild imagination).
  • talking for violence.
  • shamming

and those kind of things.

first- the slash are annoying to read.
second- there are manners, and manners are not PCs (it’s a big difference).

I reread it again, and I don’t find anything amiss here. I do not want to regulate the language here, I just want to make sure that any person who identifies themselves a different gender other than what people assume should not feel left out.

In general, it is good to not assume the gender of the person or group.

2 Likes

Who is saying to use slash?

so can you please change the PCs, and leave here only the what really needed (as manners).
because if PCs are starting, so like quarter of the drawings are inappropriate for some people.

I think that a reference to my usage of and/or…
:slight_smile:

Grum999

So the issue is about pronouns, we can discuss a solution for that. Is there issue with other points?

Well, as I said on IRC, these two points are neither correct from the standard English grammar, nor recommended by the UN document:

• Unless the gender of a singular personal antecedent is otherwise specified, use the gender-neutral singular pronouns “they”, “them”, “their”, and “theirs”.
  • Avoid using “he” as a universal pronoun; likewise, avoid using binary alternatives such as “he/she”, “he or she”, or “(s)he”.

The UN document recommends to rewrite the sentence in impersonal form, which, in some cases will lead to “they” pronoun appear in the sentence. It also directly asks to use he/she. Asking people to break the rules of the language is not a good idea. If people want to use the non-standard “singular they” form, let them use that. But don’t ask for it.

just one gave example for PC.

The UN guideline does talk about being cautious in using the binary alternative, It doesn’t ask to use the binary form directly-

“Pairing” is the use of both feminine and masculine forms (he or she; her or his). It is a strategy that may be used when the author/speaker wants to explicitly make both women and men visible. It is advisable not to overuse this strategy in English, however, as it may be distracting to the reader, in particular in narrative texts. It may also create inconsistencies or render the text less accurate — for example, in legal texts.

The feminine and masculine forms can be alternated throughout the text. This strategy should be used with caution, however, in particular when its use may affect the meaning of the text, cause confusion or be distracting to the reader. It may be more appropriate to alternate masculine and feminine forms by paragraph or section, rather than by sentence or phrase.

Example: “When a staff member accepts an offer of employment, he or she must be able to assume that the offer is duly authorized. To qualify for payment of the mobility incentive, she or he must have five years’ prior continuous service on a fixed-term or continuing appointment.”

Well, it suggests to use that as an alternative and warns not to overuse that. But that is the opposite to the statement “avoid using binary alternatives”.

easier to use “they”, or use “he”, and it will be correct. (on those things “he” can mean men and woman at once)
that (he or she) makes it complicated, the reason it is like that is also PC.

How does “he” mean both men and women. And there are not on only two gender choices, a person may or may not identify with both.

Here even our govt. says to give more than two options.

can also write:
When a staff member accepts an offer of employment, he must be able to assume that the offer is duly authorized. To qualify for payment of the mobility incentive, he must have five years’ prior continuous service on a fixed-term or continuing appointment.”

that is also PC.

Well this is not correct in any form. Even in the UN document it doesn’t say that. :smiley: I should say that you are mistaken about assuming people accept male pronouns for themselves.

1 Like

that because PC is going in to the language.
in original on announcements “he” is acceptable to both.

Well it is the Govt. requirement in my place, I don’t know about being politically correct. But it is what even our courts said. So in a way it is mandatory. Even our passport have that options. Court has said that it is a human right to identify themselves neither male nor female, and it is the duty of Govt. to protect that right.