Colour calibration

Hey everyone, I have a problem and I wanted to know if you could help me. My computer and Krita are fully calibrated and my computer has the right colour management, but when I post my artwork on Facebook the colours on my image change. Is there a way to fix this?

Facebook does really extreme things to posted images. You can help by working in sRGB. Which color model do you have Krita set to and are you looking at Krita and Facebook on the same display?

1 Like

Whenever I export from Krita I always make sure the sRGB is activated and I am looking at them both on the same display. On a side note, when I compare the image on my computer to Facebook, it only looks slightly darker, but when I go on someone else’s phone the image looks WAY darker on Facebook than what it does on Facebook on my computer, if that makes sense.

Is that phone colour calibrated? What is its gamut? :wink:
Are you sure that the Facebook server is delivering the same image file to your computer and to that phone?
Is the phone’s browser set to the correct colour profile and does it respect embedded profiles?
It goes on and on.

1 Like

I am not sure whether it is colour calibrated. It’s a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I’m pretty sure it supports the standard sRGB/Rec. 709 gamut, I don’t know if this helps. Unfortunately I am not really “Tech savvy” to this degree and also this is not my phone so I sadly don’t know all the answers to your questions :confused:

Edit: I checked with a friends phone, they went on Facebook on their side and my picture looked darker, just like on the other person’s phone on Facebook yet on my computer the image looks lighter on Facebook. So the problem isn’t with the phones, it seems like Facebook is changing the colour of my image through different devices, is there any way to get around that?

Facebook doesn’t just compress images, it applies a custom profile to further reduce file sizes. Lots of people have tried to decipher the FB profile without success. In 2012 they were using tinysrgb but they seem to have moved onto something completely unique to that platform.

In addition to FB’s color profile, web browsers don’t respect the image’s colour profile so your images on FB will probably look different when viewed on different browsers versus the official FB app on a phone.

1 Like

Thank you so much, this helps. But is there any way to stop Facebook from doing that?

You can’t influence the colour profile as FB strips the image’s profile out but it’s theorized that you can help a little bit by uploading files that are smaller in size so that FB’s compression isn’t so severe. I don’t know if that really works, though.

1 Like

Okay, thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it

Perhaps you could overcompensate and make the image brighter before you upload to FB? Then maybe FB will darken it to the correct levels. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny enough I just thought of that idea a few minutes ago :sweat_smile:
Thanks for the suggestion anyways, appreciate it