Consistency in art

Hello! :wave::sparkles:

My question today isn’t about krita itself, but about ‘how to use krita, to keep your style consistent’?

…I heard that the art industry is both about keeping it consistent and improving, respectively. These two things are quite tricky, but honestly, learning is easier than retaining knowledge and keeping it. It’s really a shame that i discovered it only now.

Throughout the last year or two, i was focusing more on learning (about color, light, effects, some form) - and i got to be honest, my style changed with almost every piece. I know that all my artworks have that little something that unites them, but i’m starting to suspect that the sheer amount of differences can become troublesome? When it comes to style?

Let me show a few examples of how i go about drawing animals/creatures:

Again, these are styles, more than one consistent style. I called it abstract-ish until now, but i realize i should call it ‘confused’ instead :confused:

I look at my drawings and i realize i can’t do something the exact same way. I can’t follow trough with a series of paintings. The furthest i got with a consistent style was 3 pieces, and that was when i drew the drawings in a row, in one document, in one day.

And this issue isn’t only about paintings. Even the easiest cartoons sometimes seem that way. Even if i do some reference proportions, or lines, cutting things and setting a barrier for every little piece. If i change the pose or clothing it just crosses out every bit of planning i might have put into the drawing :no_entry_sign:

It seems like i should work on this. If i can’t remember exactly how i drew a painting, is it still possible to continue a series of paintings?
What should i do to keep a consistent style, or maybe, a few consistent styles?
Is it a problem in me, or is there just a rule i haven’t been following all this time?

If anyone is kind enough to give me (and possibly other people who read this!) some insight into this, some advice, all will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading ~ :star2:

(If the example mash-up isn’t clear, i have this gallery on the side)
(This question isn’t in the ‘Beginner’s Questions’ category because i am not exactly a beginner? I guess the question itself might be a little basic, so if that’s the case, i will try to move this post there)
(I appreciate any and all advice🌈 - feel free to point out whatever doesn’t make sense, too! Anything helps)

1 Like

This is typical dilemma when you are still starting out and learning a lot. I’ve been on many artist forums and there are a always artist like you who worry about the consistency of their style. I too was at this point, its totally normal and okay. Every artist has been there, I assume.

As you wrote in your post your are still learning a lot about art and it’s totally normal that your style changes as you incorporate the things you learned from your previous pieces into the new ones, there is not much you can do about it, it’s normal when you grow as an artist. My current style is nothing like it was ten years ago.

As the progress in learning you make with every piece gets smaller and you try new stuff less often your style will automatically get more consistent. You will find yourself doing things you also like in other peoples art and slowly your style will solidify itself without you even noticing. That said, don’t worry too much about consistency and focus on learning.

Which part of the art industry? There is no monolithic industry in art, there are a lot of very different jobs an artist can do, some of them require very different skills. For example if you work in animation and are not a lead artist, just one of the small gears, you are required to reliably and consistently replicate other peoples styles. No one cares about how your own style looks as long as your have what it takes on a technical level. When you work as a concept artist your job is to illustrate and create ideas. Different styles can even be required here to show the subject in different ways, also you have to be fast and precise. There are probably even more examples I can’t think of right now.

The funny thing is, as soon as you have reached a certain level of skill, you can reliably replicate any of your previous styles you want.

PS: I moved the topic to Lounge because it’s not a support question but more a general question about art.

6 Likes

I agree with @Takiro. Just let your style evolve over time.

I don’t think you even need to seek out a style just keep drawing and you will start to do things in different ways. I think even people who draw in a certain style could decide to change it or learn another style. Like @Takiro said if you are inspired by another artist you can use some of their ideas and incorporate it into what you are learning. This will then affect your style.

Of course we are all referencing reality as well and each of us will reference it differently. Because we will all decide on what to leave and what to take.

I personally don’t consider myself to have a distinctive style I just want to express my ideas and stories in the best way I think possible. Like in the animation industry, how there is a range of different styles.

Also good to note that even if we think we have found our so called “style” it is still good imo to reference and improve. Don’t hold yourself back by focusing on your style alone.

Lastly, are you aiming for a specific area in the industry?
This may inform certain choices. For example, if you want to become a matte painter for live action films you will need to draw realisticly, and you will also need to know basic 3d. Doesn’t mean your shapes and designs can’t be cool and unique though.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.