Crash on Importing Brushes

I am unable to import .gbr brushes. Not even one brush is importing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling thrice and I also am using the latest 4.4.8 version. Can someone please help me resolve this issue. I had a bug on my computer so i had to reset it and installed a new OS. Since additionally installed programs were deleted, I reinstalled them just this morning and I’m facing this issue since then. But previously too, Krita used to crash, but not as frequent as now. I am using Windows 10 Pro N, 64 bit.

I have krita version 4.4.8 running on Windows 10 Pro. Using Settings → Manage Resources → Import Brushes, I’ve just imported two .gbr brushes from the standard GIMP installation folders with no problems. They were immediately available in the brush editor Brushtip → Predefined listings.

What do you do to import .gbr brushes and what do you see happening?

Please note: uninstalling and reinstalling krita will make no difference to anything.
The entire look/feel/behaviour is determined by the contents of its configuration files and resources folder which are separate from the installed application and are not affected by reinstalation.

If krita is crashing, is there a ‘kritacrash.log’ file in your user AppData/Local folder?
If there is, please make it available using a link to a file sharing service or website.
(It’s a bit too large for convenient reading in a posted reply here.)

While you’re looking in there, can you open ‘krita-sysinfo.log’ and copy-paste its entire contents to a reply here.

Firstly thank you for replying. And yes there is a file named ‘kritacrash.log’ in my local folder.
I am very new here and idk if I am properly linking the document here. I am using Drive cause idk any other sort of linking. So please acknowledge if you see/don’t see the file.

The link for the ‘kritacrash.log’ file :point_down:
kritacrash.log
Or here :point_down: is the link, you can copy paste it :+1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thMBpB_dFHEH86xvxpKYhDEQK9P2O63y/view?usp=sharing

And the contents of ‘krita-sysinfo.log’ are here :point_down:

Krita

Version: 4.4.8
 Languages: en_US, en
 Hidpi: true

Qt

Version (compiled): 5.12.11
  Version (loaded): 5.12.11

OS Information

Build ABI: x86_64-little_endian-llp64
  Build CPU: x86_64
  CPU: x86_64
  Kernel Type: winnt
  Kernel Version: 10.0.19043
  Pretty Productname: Windows 10 (10.0)
  Product Type: windows
  Product Version: 10

OpenGL Info

Vendor:  "Google Inc." 
  Renderer:  "ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)" 
  Version:  "OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.57ea533f79a7)" 
  Shading language:  "OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (ANGLE 2.1.0.57ea533f79a7)" 
  Requested format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile) 
  Current format:    QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile) 
     Version: 3.0
     Supports deprecated functions false 
     is OpenGL ES: true 

QPA OpenGL Detection Info 
  supportsDesktopGL: true 
  supportsAngleD3D11: true 
  isQtPreferAngle: true 

Hardware Information

GPU Acceleration: auto
  Memory: 8050 Mb
  Number of Cores: 4
  Swap Location: C:/Users/Lenovo/AppData/Local/Temp

Current Settings

Current Swap Location: C:/Users/Lenovo/AppData/Local/Temp
  Current Swap Location writable: true
  Undo Enabled: true
  Undo Stack Limit: 30
  Use OpenGL: true
  Use OpenGL Texture Buffer: true
  Use AMD Vectorization Workaround: false
  Canvas State: OPENGL_SUCCESS
  Autosave Interval: 900
  Use Backup Files: true
  Number of Backups Kept: 1
  Backup File Suffix: ~
  Backup Location: Same Folder as the File
  Backup Location writable: false
  Use Win8 Pointer Input: false
  Use RightMiddleTabletButton Workaround: false
  Levels of Detail Enabled: false
  Use Zip64: false

Display Information
Number of screens: 1
	Screen: 0
		Name: \\.\DISPLAY1
		Depth: 32
		Scale: 1
		Resolution in pixels: 1366x768
		Manufacturer: 
		Model: 
		Refresh Rate: 60

The crash log will need a developer or similar software-experienced person to look at it.
The system information seems ‘normal and capable’.

What about:

Apart from problems with importing .gbr brushes, does it behave normally?

About importing the .gbr brushes, I go to Settings → Manage Resources → Import Brushes → Locate the downloaded file folder → change from all file formats to .gbr format → select the brush one by one → and select on import/open (I don’t remember the correct option)

and yes apart from the crashing while importing the ;gbr brushes, it appears normal and behave normally. Even though I haven’t yet started or worked on Krita after downloading as I wanted my personalized downloaded brush, I just tried on kinda scribbling and it appeared good. Nothing was wrong in it. I tried with other brushes too and yes it worked all fine.

It is possible to get brush tips into krita without using the Manage Resources Import facility.
Close krita. Go to your user AppData/Roaming folder and you’ll see a folder called ‘krita’. That is the resources folder for krita.
In the ‘krita’ folder is a folder called ‘brushes’ that is used to contain brush tip files.
Copy your .gbr brush tip files into there and then start krita.
After that, they should be available in the Brush Editor → Brush Tip → Predefined tab, you can search by name using the search box at the bottom of that.

I took this much time to figure out and execute what was written. :sweat_smile: sorry for this much waiting. But I kinda got my solution but it would be more comfortable if I get the problem solved. But for now yes I can manage. Thank you soo muchh!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :+1: :heart:

1 Like

I’ll ping @tiar and @halla because that crash log needs to be examined by someone who knows how to read a crash log.

1 Like

I was about to ask that. If you do this, will they be able to handle the issue? I hope my issue gets resolved. And thank you soo much for your valuable time and help offered.

If anybody can, they can, being Chief Bug Wrangler and Lead Developer respectively.

1 Like

I’ve done some research on Windows N versions on the Internet.
Unfortunately, the N versions of Windows lack not only the media player. Due to its removal, some programs that depend on it do not work or do not work properly. Most hardware and software vendors do not test their programs and drivers on the Windows N versions, which regularly leads to further problems.
It is usually strongly recommended to (re)install the removed software packages with the free media packs available from Microsoft. However, this obviously only fixes most but not all the associated problems.
This is mainly a briefly summarized version of a report from the “c’t” issue 9/2017, page 174. In various online magazines and forums on the subject of Windows, one can find similar reports.

One problem with the media packs is said to be that Microsoft usually releases them weeks or months after the release of a new Windows version, and this also refers to the update jumps of the respective Windows version. So the spring update and the fall update, and not just the jumps from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 to 11… - no, every build step needs a new media pack!
That means every time you want to update an N-version you either have to do without a stable system and the media player, and you have to expect problems because of the not fulfilled dependencies, or you have to wait until the media pack is available to get a more compatible operating system…

Michelist

1 Like

For curiosity’s sake, I looked at the crash log, and it’s a null pointer violation in KoResourceServer<KisBrush, SharedPointerStoragePolicy<KisSharedPtr > >::importResourceFile, meaning some variable in the importResourceFile method should be initialized, but isn’t in this case. This is definitely a bug, though I haven’t looked through the code yet to see what might have failed. Even if the brush being imported has issues, or was created with 5.x features that aren’t available in 4.4.8, it should handle it without crashing.

That being said, since this is in the resource system, which has been heavily rewritten for Krita 5, chances are this issue doesn’t exist in 5.x. Unless the problem is easy to reproduce and fix, and/or is something that gets reported by a lot of people as an issue, I doubt they’ll bother to release a new 4.4.x version to fix it.

Which is to say, if you have a workaround for the issue, I’d probably live with that until Krita 5 is officially released (assuming you don’t want to use beta versions). Also, it would be great if you could test the same brushes and import method in Krita 5 beta to verify that doesn’t have the same issue before it gets released, but that’s up to you.

2 Likes

@Voronwe13 is right, if you can, please check if you can import those brushes using Manage Resources → Import Resources button in Krita 5.0-beta2, if it works, then please just use a workaround before Krita 5.0 comes out officially.

To test Krita 5.0-beta2, please first backup your stuff: Help Krita improve with structured Beta Testing of the new resource system in Krita 5.0 - and after you back up your resource folder, it would be a good idea to remove the brushes you want to import from the resources folder so it’s more like a new experience for Krita. And then you can try to import them again (if the first one didn’t crash) just to see if they maybe crash on that second case when the brushes are already imported :wink:

1 Like

Thank you soo for your valuable reply. And yes I tried the Krita version 5.0 beta-2. It worked perfectly fine. Importing brushes didn’t crash. Thank you for the solution. But I am just curious to know what was causing that bug in the 4.4.8 version? But anyways I thank you sooo much for the problem fix.

Do note that the version is beta version. it may crash elsewhere :slight_smile: so I suggest you to be a bit careful and also report any bugs if you encounter while using the beta so we can make the beta stable enough for final release.

1 Like

Sure and thank you for letting me know. Ill surely explore Krita :+1: :heart: :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.