Crashing! ....

Hey! I’ve been using Krita for a few months now, so I know my way around and how to use the autosave and all that jazz. But in the past few weeks, I’ve been noticing that Krita crashes. A lot. Is this just a me problem? Do I have too many files on my computer? Does this happen to others? And is there any way to fix this, or just hope that autosave has your back? Thanks!

You’ll have to investigate what might be the problem. How you should do that depends on your operating system. Look for a file called kritacrash.log on Windows, krita.log on all operating systems and check whether they contain any hints about what might be wrong. Check wheteher your system’s memory has detoriated with a memory checker. Check whether the images you’re making are so big your system runs out of memory before Krita can start swapping.

Some more information would be useful and also essential.

Which version of krita are you using and where did you get it from?
Have you changed the version of krita over the few months that you’ve been using it?

Which operating system are you using?

What sort of computer do you have?

Did you make any changes to your computer, or to krita, before this crashing started to happen?

Do you have any anti-virus or other ‘security’ type of software installed?

It doesn’t matter how many files you have on your computer, it’s the amount of free hard drive space that matters.

As @halla mentioned above, you also need enough RAM to hold the work you’re doing.
Have you started working with multiple large images or large and long animations?

When it’s running, do Help → Show system information for bug reports, then copy-paste the contents in a reply here.

If you find kritacrash.log and/or krita.log, then please make them available via a file sharing service or pastebin. They can be very long and are not suitable for posting in a reply.
Getting Krita logs — Krita Manual 4.4.0 documentation

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.