Criticism in general and in Twitch

This is something that has been bothering me to know other peoples ideas over what Criticism is and it’s implications.

To me Criticism implies a review that can result in being bad or good:

• if I give a good review I give a “compliment”.
  • if I give a bad review I tend to point the flaw and how to correct it or a “critique” so to speak of lack of more words in English.

The case that made me think of this:
I made a twitch account about 4 months ago because of a friend mine and I have been to art streams. And on one stream the head and body where bent 90 degree UNDER the clavicle bone, it was not even the neck bending. I pointed out this mistake while in the sketch phase and instantly I got persecuted by the mods of back seating in art and being threaten with time outs and more if I continued to speak. I instantly left the chat unfollowed and such because I don’t agree the least bit.

In my mind if I say “it is good” or I say “it is bad” it is all criticism and it all comes from the same source. And you can’t censor bad reviews if you want good reviews, because if you do you will not improve ever. You can make the rules yes but remaining stagnate is also an option I do not comply with. If i have to ask to critique I should have to ask to give compliments also, and that is never the case. Truth be told artists on Twitch swallow compliments like crazy but can’t handle the slightest hint of bad reviews.

But to each person I speak about this and this case each person gives me a different answer and a different perspective to this issue. What say you?

1 Like

For me, it depends on whether the artist has requested critiques and/or suggestions. If they don’t ask, they may not want feedback (in which case their fans also may become defensive in support of the artist).

2 Likes

The critique might be what the artist did EXACTLY well, or what might not be so good and could be done better. Nice words like “great” or “awesome” are nice and good for anyone, everyone need nice compliments from time to time. But it hurts me more when I get a “great” for a work that isn’t really good and has many issues. Then this “great work” could prevents me from getting better.

By the way i like really if someone says that he didn’t like my work and why, instead of doesn’t say anything cause he thinks i only want nice compliments.

2 Likes

I believe that criticism and critique have different connotations.
For me criticism is purely negative review with or even without valid arguments, while critique is weighted opinion on a subject with positive feedback, with focus on the flaws and a way to fix them

4 Likes

i agree with @Sooz it depends if the person has asked for critics or not. It also depends on how you give it, and the terms you use, it can be taken as an “attack” by some people. criticism “sounds” negative for exemple i think.
note also that i’m not native english speaker and sometimes i’ve difficulties to understand what you mean exactly. So if you’ve made these critics in english, it could have been missunderstood maybe …

2 Likes

I’ve seen it both ways: people getting offended for the simplest negative comments, even if they are respectful and even contain some compliments too, and people harshly and rudely pushing their negative opinion onto others, and claiming that if you don’t like the way they “critique” you, it’s either against free speech or you’re immature and you have to accept it no matter what.

So basically, I would say, just try to not belong in either of those groups. Though the first group (being extra sensitive to critique) can be sometimes understandable or explained, sometimes people go through rough times and might get upset over “nothing” which is why it’s good to always be a bit nicer in your critique than just matter-of-fact.You won’t be able to fix their drawing mistakes in one day anyway, so I don’t think there is a huge difference whether you say “the neck is a bit on the longer side, maybe try to make it shorter” or “the anatomy of the neck is all messed up, it looks like a giraffe, and the bones are incorrect too, find an anatomy book, because nothing what you drew there is correct”. Only pointing out a few issues instead of listing a whole long list of everything can help the painter focus on specific things, too, instead of overwhelming them.

5 Likes

From years ago, i remember someone asking for critiques and even messaging me.
So I did as that pointed out things to improve, how they can achieve that and the things they did well.

That person got angry :sweat_smile:

I don’t openly give critiques unless requested and even that sometimes I just …

1 Like

criticism and critique are used interchangeably by some, not always though. I assume they are the same in your post above.

As others have noted, critique would be (an attempt at) careful examination. Critiques consider the elements of a piece, of which there are many - metaphor, perspective, meaning, allegory, angles, shapes, colors, values, atmosphere, etc. Do the elements succeed together? Are there elements that seem out of place or misused? Saying a piece is “good” or “bad” is not a critique - that is simply the viewer’s reaction - favorable, not favorable, or indifferent. My best advice for giving a critique of art is not to use words like “good”, “bad”, “nice”, “super”, etc.

Giving critiques of others art is always challenging - you want to help the other person out. The issue is that a lot of people who come looking for critiques have judged their art to be great and have set their expectations. No matter how gentle your criticism is, they are on a tower of their own making, and the fall is not pleasant.

6 Likes

But the fall is less at the beginning than after years of illusions :sweat_smile:

3 Likes