Discussion: official website of Krita

Hey everyone, It is okay to have different views and debate heavily on the topic, but I request everybody to keep the discussion to a bit cooler side. We have enough global warming already :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I have been using open source software for over 10 years. competition is critical to the development of free software. I think you are deeply mistaken. perhaps you are confused by the popular synonymy between the concepts of free software, open software and the rights movement. software to any rights to self-expression has only indirect value . his task is to fulfill his function in the most efficient way.

PS when i talk about “pink unicorns” I mean dragging various social concepts into professional spheres

ahaha good. I think our conversation is very friendly. and it’s great that people are trying to convey their views on the development of Krita. I think this shows one huge common point - we are not indifferent to Krita. :heart_eyes: :revolving_hearts:

I wondered how many years I have been using only free software. 16 years. I ask you not to judge strictly. I think it’s good. that our views and cultures do not coincide: the main thing is that we have common concerns: make the world a better place, use free software and promote its ideas

How long you’ve been using free software doesn’t necessarily mean you know what their philosophy is. I’ve celebrated christmas and easter every year of my life, but I’ve never read the bible :wink:

The reason I’m faulting you is because you seem confused about the idea of FOSS like Krita being /free for everyone/. It’s not just for professionals, so it makes sense that not only professionals get to represent Krita and it’s community. It’s called inclusivity. That’s why it’s upsetting when you go out and say people’s art isn’t good enough for Krita. It doesn’t help that you do so by insulting people here and call them names, and then complain that they aren’t acting professional enough. Maybe you think you’re being funny, but that’s not how others interpret your posts. I’ll leave this discussion now by reiterating that you’ll find people a lot less hostile if you don’t talk down to them.

It’s good that you’re interested in Krita’s development! It is true that Krita would benefit from more marketing. But part of what makes Krita a great software is its openness both in terms of source code but also its openness towards all kinds of people, not just professional artists.

3 Likes

I think you did not understand me correctly.
look: splash screens in Krita are beautiful - they use illustrations of Tyson Tan and David Revoy. scary amateur images from the official site are not used there. software freedom is not equal to freedom of expression. it’s not about that at all. you mixed up warm and sour

Btw if anyone wants to discuss what free means and how it all relates to Krita and other software, there will be Libre Graphics Meeting in May/June in Rennes (France). It is a few days long conference about all FOSS art/graphics-related programs and other things (like the first project to provide an open alternative to PANTENE colors). When I was there last year, lectures and resentations were mostly about development (and cool new features), while workshops were more art/graphics-oriented.

Since there are a lot of libre graphics program developers (including Krita developers) and a lot of artists, both random ones (lost souls from the nearby art college) and open source dedicated fans/artists, it is an awesome opportunity to talk with people around about how they see the “libre-ness”, what does it mean to people (except for the fact that the source code is out in the open) and how other programs fulfill this goal (is it only open source or something else? some other ideas?).

Krita’s or KDE contributors can get the reimbursement for the travel costs from KDE (Not sure if there are any rules they need to adhere as well, like if there is a minimum involvement set up which you need to prove or anything, but there is this possibility).

1 Like