[Display] Selection highlight size setting

In Photoshop, the selection highlight is about three times as large as Krita’s, making it much easier to see. Could a setting be added to configure the size of the selection highlight?

On my 4k screen, Krita’s selection is easily missed, especially on a light grey background.

E: the Image’s compression to 1080p makes it much more visible than it actually is.

3 Likes

I don’t think we should make it an option – we’re currently using 4 pixels, and we can easily make that 8.

2 Likes

Merge request here: Make the ants 8 instead of 4 pixels (!1176) · Merge requests · Graphics / Krita · GitLab

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the swift action, I’ll have a look at it when the new build is up! Have a nice day!

I haven’t merged it, though, because I want the opinion of the other people on the team, until then it won’t be in a build.

I’ll keep an eye on it, thanks!

@halla : Hey, I updated my Krita Plus appimage. The new size for the selection marching ants feels now on my display like caravans of worms. But probably I can get used to it. I’ll tell after using it a couple of days.

1 Like

@halla : I’m sorry but I had to roll back to a previous appimage after 1h to workaround the new marching ants size: I had two cases of small lasso selections (selecting an eye iris to move it around, and selecting a finger to rotate position) where the large dashes of white and black were both on my way visually (mainly not about the lenght, but too much contrast created by the 8 contiguous white pixels moving around).

Is it possible to revert it before beta3? I understand @Hologram 's issue; maybe this new size could depend of detection of high-resolution monitor?

Hmm, I checked Krita (4.4.8) , Photoshop, CSP and for me marching ants seems almost the same in all apps (FullHd res). Probably Photoshop is adjusting to the display resolution.

I agree with @Deevad about visual hindering, and, personally, I would prefer even smaller than we have now in stable version.

Or maybe make it an option after all as value box where users can type in the selection display width. For high dpi monitors the old size was barely visible, but considering the vast difference in monitor sizes (now and in the future) between 1080p and 8k, it’ll surely become an issue again at some point.

The option is a bad idea. It might be better to change the size of the “worms” dynamically depending on the size of selection.

3 Likes

I see that there is a difference in thickness in the comparison screen shot you showed earlier in the first post. It looks like photoshop has 2 px thickness.

Also can you take the screenshot in the same background color in both the program the darker background in the screenshot for Krita also makes it so that krita is less visible.

Yeah sure, this is the pre-merge behaviour:
Krita:

Affinity Photo:

Photoshop:

Higher res images: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Video:

Please have a look at the recording, this makes the comparison especially visible.

2 Likes

There is no doubt @Hologram that the selection is too thin for a 4K monitor. It’s really visible especially when your resolution is downscaled to 1080p screenshot: interpolation makes the 4px marching ants blending together and a greyish soup of pixels. We can see on your example that other software scale up selection decoration depending the dpi of monitor. @raghukamath yes, it makes sens if the thickness can be adjusted for hi-DPI monitor too.

Here is what I experience:

Legacy size (4px):

2021-11-30-legacy-selection_4px_static

Beta 3 size (8px):

2021-11-30_beta3-selection_8px_static

Note: the behavior was reverted on my request on Krita 5.0 branch/Krita Plus (thanks @halla) but will still be part of Krita beta 3 (frozen since today 10amCET time). A dynamic solution taking account screen monitor or selection size (or both) is planed. :+1:

1 Like

On my 4K screen I don’t have any problem

I mean, the 4px ant line is visually Ok for me.
I’m using a 27" monitor.

I can agree that a 15" @ 4K monitor it could be small :sweat_smile:

But in this case, the ant size should be relative to dpi (and not number of pixels on screen…)

Grum999

1 Like

@Grum999 My monitor is 27 inch too :upside_down_face:

Have you tried a more neutral grey? That’s were it starts to disappear on my end. On pure white or a saturated colour it is already much more visible.

:upside_down_face:

Here’s result on a 50% grey:

That’s still Ok for me, but I think I understand what you mean.
For me on neutral grey there’s a slight effect that is more something like an optical illusion.

Don’t know if greater ants would really solve the problem.

Maybe, if ant size could be a parameter in kritarc file it could help to solve the problem:

• Keep small 4px value by default
  • Let users really annoyed by the ant size to change it (no need to add an option in settings dialog for Krita 5…)
  • Might be easier to implement than a system that will try do determinate which size to apply according to screen resolution, Hi-Dpi support enabled or not…

:thinking:

Grum999

The fact that both Photoshop and Affinity Photo use a larger size to compensate for high-dpi tells me that that’s what makes it more visible. Although it looks like their ants are not as elongated, they are rather short dashes, instead of the long dashes in Krita. So the more frequent pixel change from black to white may also be part of the solution.