Does anyone follow Illustration trends?

Hi again, I was just wondering if anyone pays heed to current trends going on in Illustration or whether you just do your own thing? Personally I’ve pretty much ignored trends when it comes to art but I’m wondering if that is wise or not given it would be nice to make some money at some point.

I was reading this article on Envato blog which made me wonder about this. I don’t really care for most of the trends it talks about except the use of 3D, animation and intricate lettering.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t care about the things in this article. I always look at illustrations and concept designs for some games. And what he said is the work done by graphic designers

1 Like

I do not care about trends, I do my thing, I have to like what I do and if others enjoy it is nice, but in the foreground is always my state of mind and that I feel comfortable with what I paint!

Michelist

3 Likes

No. I decide what looks good in my eyes and appealing to me. Because I’m a hobbyist and what matters to me is im satisfied. I do follow fashion styles - i dont know if they are in trend. and is drawing pretty girls trendy nowadays? I just like drawing / sketching faces of pretty girls.

I do occasionally some layouts, and i mostly just look at some examples off google and decide which I layouts I can use as guide. mostly out of convenience rather than intent to follow a certain trend.

1 Like

I don’t even see how any of this is a current trend. I did see most of this ten years ago already. The only thing I see more often now is 3D art (and anmation to some extend) probably because software for it has become more accessible in recent years.

2 Likes

When I draw, I focus on what I want to draw instead of what it’s trending, however, I can find some of my interests overlapping with a few trends here and there when the planets align (iykyk) but it was nothing but a mere coincidence and even if I share some, for some reason when it trends I just can’t get myself to do it… XD :sob: I’m more focused on what my interests are and what I have fun drawing/doing, I find it exhausting finding out what’s trending only to try it myself but I do respect those who have that mindset, I just can’t do it myself (and have no interest in doing it).
Little side note, the only thing that has caught my eye in the article you linked was number 8, the intricate lettering, I liked the idea but the examples were waaay too detailed, it was difficult to pay attention to so that’s inspired me to try it myself. Thank you haha

I don’t really care for most of the trends it talks about except the use of 3D, animation and intricate lettering.

I also felt identified with that quote, as an animator and 3d artist, I felt nothing when reading the animation and 3d works parts in the article’s. There surely is a lot of wonderful works but as @Takiro said, I don’t see how any of this could be trending. I don’t see what the fuzz is about, I love seeing people enjoying other techniques of art anyway so good for them. :]

1 Like

Thanks for all your input on this, all really great points. I think it is important to be happy and comfortable doing what you want to do with art like you say @Michelist and @kaichi1342 .
I will keep doing my own thing (whatever that is). Have to say I’ve never been that bothered about fashion or design trends anyway and I think if I tried to force myself to “go with the crowd” I would hate it. I often feel like an outsider to all of this commercial trending stuff, I even wonder if I should call myself an Illustrator these days since I’m more interested in working for myself, doing 3D and learning game dev.

@Takiro you are right, most of these trends are recycled from years ago and I agree animation and 3D art is likely trending because of the increased accessibility people have to it these days.

That’s a great point @TheTwo, the article probably does fit more with graphic design than Illustration anyway, and like you I also like to look at concept art for games more than this sort of thing.

@dandelier completely agree and relate to how you feel about trends and yes the animation and 3D in the article isn’t my cup of tea either but it is great seeing more people being inspired to try and learn different things.

1 Like

One time, I’ve made the “sailor moon challenge” (draw Usagi in your own style)
Result is here.

I usually do my own stuff, but as I like to see the same picture drawn with different style/methods (often have good surprise!) here I decided to try it.
It was more like for fun and practice exercise than to follow the trend.

Grum999

2 Likes

But it was a decision of yours, because you wanted to do it with a certain reference, or background, it was not about following a trend or even submitting to one. At least that’s what I read from your text - right?

Michelist

Answer to question: Nope, I hate trends. I do my own thing.

I do like the 3D and have done some myself (furniture mostly and a horse, even started a human head following a tutorial but never finished)

This is HoresE. and friends (unfinished copies)

This one is my favorite… It was a challenge from a friend of mine:

This is the unfinished head. My intention was to use the finished project for drawing since I could change the lighting and position:

2 Likes

Maybe I didn’t understood the question :sweat_smile:

Illustration trends for me is doing like everyone does because it’s the trend :slight_smile:
No?

So by doing a picture “draw as your style” like all other, I’ve followed the trend.
Even if I didn’t draw it just “to follow the trend” I did it in the trend :sweat_smile:

After, I did it one time, so can’t tell I’m following the trend
I’ll follow the trend the day everyone sill start to draw sausages :sweat_smile:

Grum999

3 Likes

That day you will be leading the trend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d say that was more of an art game (although definitely trending). I did it too

But I didn’t do it because it was trendy but because I thought it was a fun game and it was so cool to see all the different versions and crossovers that I wanted to do my own. I always do what I think is fun to do. I declined commissions just for being boring.

2 Likes

For sure :rofl:

Grum999

1 Like

Oh yes I remember, you asked for feedback during WIP and I gave you some tip :sweat_smile:

More an art game, yes, definitively “trending” :slight_smile:

Grum999

I meant, it was not your goal to follow a trend, your goal was to paint that specific piece, for whatever reason, or am I wrong?

Michelist

The goal was not to follow the trend, but finally I’ve followed it :sweat_smile:

Grum999

I think as long as you enjoy doing it, it shouldn’t matter if it’s a trend or not.

When I was younger I had a friend, she was totally into Anime and Manga, was an artist herself but then she stopped drawing it despite still loving it just because it became trendy and mainstream around here. I still think it’s stupid to not do a thing you enjoy just because others suddenly do it too. But she was pretty anti in many ways.

4 Likes

Honestly I can’t imagine stopping just because something I do become trendy. :woozy_face: Thats so much of im not like other people vibe there.

Theres difference between doing your own thing and actively avoiding a trend and if the trend happens to be something you do you drop it so you can say look im not like other people. :sweat_smile: I cant understand that mindset tbh. GL to your friend.

If i start and stop on things out of my own whim.sometimes things i do happen to be in trend lol but if i like them i would still do them after that trend die.

Im curious cat and if i see something interesting and i have time and resources i would try them.

Theres something about doing your own thing and sometimes doing your own thing happen to be insync with what is trending but thats a tangent XD sometimes they meet.

Speaking of that I don’t count socmed games and challenges as trend they are more games something fun the art community can enjoy and challenge each other rather than an actual specific style or philosophy trend. I join them if im feeling like joining them.

Oh 3d. this remind me how when i was as a teen. was dabbling in 3d using pre 2.5 blender. I was into it and I still can say I can make quite nice stuff with and a few models I made is floating around.

Though the current 3d scene had left me [Nodes are sorcery to me] as i started focusing more on 2d and digital painting once I got myself a proper tablet and krita.

I still do 3d when I feel it or there is idea that seems nice to make.

this the last one i made months ago [which started as a joke in a GC and i run with it] .

This one is as background setting at an attempt at parody webtoon;

3 Likes