Does your tablet work with Krita? (A user-driven list of working tablets for all OSs)

This list: The List of Supported Tablets — Krita Manual 5.0.0 documentation simply doesn’t work. It’s outdated, there it not much user contribution, and it’s Windows only… it would be better to make it more user-driven since, obviously, there is no way we could have all the tablets and OSs to make such a list ourselves. But the list is useful for users looking for a new shiny device.

I don’t really have a better idea than a KA post right now.

NOTE

This is NOT a place to get help with your tablet, or even discuss tablet issues; this is just to create a list of tablets working and not working with Krita. If you have an issue with your tablet or want to discuss anything, please make a new thread.

This is also NOT a place to discuss how Krita works on a system (for example Android or MacOS) overall; this is only about tablets. You are free and even encouraged to discuss it in other threads though.

If your tablet is already on the list, you can still comment, saying that you either agree with everything, or what are the difference between what you see/your report and the report that is already on the list.

If you use more than one system, you can submit multiple reports in one (or multiple) comment.

Instruction

Instruction (please read or even copy to your comment)

Information needed (if you don’t know something, just leave it empty or say you don’t know):
- commercial name + product serial name of the tablet;
- system version;
- Krita version;
- (if on Windows) whether you use Windows Ink or Wintab; (if you can, check both! restart your PC between the tests)
- (if on Windows, or if you see that option in settings) whether you use “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings;
- (if on Windows) whether you disabled “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings;
- (if on Linux) - desktop environment used (Gnome, KDE Plasma, etc.)
- (if on Linux) - drivers used
- (if on Linux) - the main test should be done on appimage, but you can tell how it works installed on your system as well
- whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play), or you had to set it up or install something extra etc. (installing a driver on Windows for not 2-in-1 devices is considered “normal” though, but if you need to switch to Windows Ink, you can say that)
- whether your pen buttons work
- whether your pressure works consistently
- whether the position of the pen is correct
- whether you have any other input issues (for example the pen changes to the “hand icon” aka pan tool in some circumstances, or you need to click on something to get the cursor working correctly etc.)

List of tablets

1. Windows

• Wacom :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
    Wacom
    • commercial name - Wacom Intuos Paint CTH-490/K :white_check_mark:

• system version - Windows 10
      • Krita version - many versions up to the latest 5.1.0-prealpha
      • works with Wintab and Windows Ink
      • whether you use “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - No, I do not.
      • whether you disabled “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings - I disable these.
      • whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- On Windows, the first thing I did was open up the setup utility and change a few things so I don’t know if it works from the start.
      • pen buttons work on Windows and can be changed with the Wacom utility.
      • whether your pressure works consistently - Yes. Except for the three times a Windows update broke the driver which has to be reinstalled. Windows has got better at this with Wacom now that they are in some kind of partnership.
      • the position of the pen is correct
      • No input issues
    • commercial name - Wacom Intuos CTL-4100 :white_check_mark:

• Krita version - 4.4.8, 5.0 Beta 1, 5.1.0-prealpha (git b058b37)
      • works with Wintab and Windows Ink - both
      • whether you use “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - No, I do not.
      • whether you disabled “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings - I did disable these.
      • whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- Yes, everything worked right from the moment I downloaded the driver and plugged everything in.
      • Whether pen buttons work - Yes, they work. I change them all the time, never had a problem.
      • whether your pressure works consistently - Not tested. I have to maintain a light grip on pen so I don’t use pressure.
        -t he position of the pen is correct - Yes. The tablet can be configured several different ways - multiple display, restricted to single display, and customized drawing area. I have used all configurations without any problem.
      • No input issues - None
    • XP Pen :white_check_mark:
    XP Pen
    • XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro :white_check_mark:
      • system version - Windows 10 - 21H1
      • Krita version 4.4.8 - 5.0beta1 - 5.1-pre-alpha
      • Windows Ink / Wintab - both works.
      • “Middle and right click workaround” check in Tablet Settings;
      • “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings : desactivated;
      • everything worked after installing a driver on Windows
      • pen buttons work.
      • the pressure works consistently : yes.
      • the position of the pen is correct : yes.
    • Surface Pro :white_check_mark:
    Surface Pro
    • Surface Pro 7 + renaisser raphael 720 stylus. :white_check_mark:
      • system version - Windows 11 - 21H2 (beta)
      • Krita version 4.4.8 - 5.0beta1 - 5.1-pre-alpha
      • Windows Ink.
      • “Middle and right click workaround” check in Tablet Settings;
      • everything worked from the start.
      • pen buttons work.
      • the pressure works consistently : yes.
      • the position of the pen is correct : yes.
  2. Linux

• Wacom :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
    Wacom tablets
    • commercial name - Wacom Intuos Paint CTH-490/K

• system version - Linux Debian 10
      • MATE
      • the standard Linux Wacom drivers
      • tested only with the appimage
      • whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- It worked from the start.
      • whether your pen buttons work -They are mapped to the standard ‘pan’ and ‘right-click’ and I don’t feel the need to take any action to change this.
      • whether your pressure works consistently - Yes.
      • No input issues
    • commercial name - Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 16 - DTHW1310M :white_check_mark:

• system version - Pop OS 21.02
      • Krita version - 4.2
      • Gnome 3
      • the standard Linux Wacom drivers
      • tested only with the .deb
      • whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- It worked from the start.
      • whether your pen buttons work -They are mapped to the standard ‘pan’ and ‘right-click’ and I don’t feel the need to take any action to change this.
      • No input issues
      • I also have no end of trouble getting the thing to understand that I don’t want a trace of touch control. I have a script with every xsetwacom touch off and gesture off that I can think of. It will work fine for fifteen minutes or so, then I get teleported to another workspace and move about browser windows and whatnot.
      • hard to use as a display/screen drawing tablet: windows has to be in sleep mode for it to work, and after an hour or so windows does something. The screen goes black black, the fan spins up to max and you get a cardiac arrest.
    • Huion :warning:
    Huion
    • Huion HS64 / Huion Inspiroy HS64 :warning:
      • System version: Linux Ubuntu 18.10
      • Krita Version: 4.4.5 to 5.0.0 beta 1 with regular updates.
      • “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - I dont use it.
      • Desktop environment used - GNOME 3
      • Drivers used - digimend drivers (from git)
      • Currently using appimage with the versions above; Tested snap version with 4.4.8 .
      • It didn’t work from the start. Had to install digimend drivers from git.
      • pen buttons work with the default (pan and left click). Can be set up with xsetwacom.
      • Whether your tablet buttons work - They work as intended. Needs setting up with xsetwacom.
      • pressure works consistently as intended.
      • there’s a slight shift from the actual cursor (1 or 2 px).
      • No input issues
      • I don’t have a UI to change tablet settings or adjust pressure curve outside of Krita.
    • Lenovo :warning:
    Lenovo tablets and 2-in-1s
    • Yoga c940 (2-in-1) :warning:
      - Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
      - libinput version 1.10.4-1ubuntu0.18.04.2 and libwacom 0.29-1
      - no need to install anything extra, if I remember correctly
      - pressure works, though the curve is a bit hard to use
      - pen button works (though very hard to use, since the pen is tiny)
      - position of the pen is correct (though shaky :stuck_out_tongue: )
      - problems with input: (1) sometimes it creates mouse events due to touch/incorrect palm rejection, which means that a new line from that mouse event place to the next position of the pen; the line is usually 100% size and opacity to nearly 0% size and opacity since usually my brushes have both opacity and size control, and mouse events are always 100% of pressure.
  3. MacOS

4. Android

5. ChromeOS

• Wacom :white_check_mark:
    Wacom
    • commercial name - Wacom Intuos Paint CTH-490/K :white_check_mark:
      - system version - ChromeOS
      - Krita version - 4.4.8
      - whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- It worked from the start
      - whether your pen buttons work - they are mapped to the standard ‘pan’ and ‘right-click’ and I don’t feel the need to take any action to change this.
      - whether your pressure works consistently - Yes.
      - the position of the pen is correct
      - No input issues
2 Likes

@tiar I’ve filled in the ‘template’ instructions, with notes for Windows 10, Linux Debian 10 and ChromeOS.

Do you want the comments split out by OS and then posted as 1. For Windows, 2. For Linux, 4. For ChromeOS ?
Or should I make one combined post for the Wacom Intuos Paint CTH-490/K?

One comment, but split by the systems, preferably. Bonus points if you can copy my template in the list so I can just copy and paste, but it’s not necessary :wink:

For the Wacom Intuos Paint CTH-490/K (about 4 years old)

Windows

• (if on Windows) - works with Wintab and Windows Ink

• (if on Windows, or if you see that option in settings) whether you use “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - No, I do not.

• (if on Windows) whether you disabled “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings - I disable these.

• whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- On Windows, the first thing I did was open up the setup utility and change a few things so I don’t know if it works from the start.

• whether your pen buttons work - they work on Windows and can be changed with the Wacom utility.

• whether your pressure works consistently - Yes. Except for the three times a Windows update broke the driver which has to be reinstalled. Windows has got better at this with Wacom now that they are in some kind of partnership.

• whether the position of the pen is correct - It is correct

• whether you have any other input issues - No input issues

Linux

• system version - Linux Debian 10

• (if on Linux) - MATE

• (if on Linux) - the standard Linux Wacom drivers

• (if on Linux) - tested only with the appimage

ChromeOS

• system version - ChromeOS

• Krita version - 4.4.8

• whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play)- It worked from the start

• whether your pen buttons work - they are mapped to the standard ‘pan’ and ‘right-click’ and I don’t feel the need to take any action to change this.

1 Like

Additional:
Switched to Linux Mint 20.3. Intuos works as expected with the addition of input-wacom kernel driver from the Linux Project.

1 Like

I don’t use this one as a tablet pc any more, I only use it as an input device to my main computer. I don’t recommend it because windows has to be in sleep mode for it to work, and after an hour or so windows does something. The screen goes black black, the fan spins up to max and you get a cardiac arrest.

I also have no end of trouble getting the thing to understand that I don’t want a trace of touch control. I have a script with every xsetwacom touch off and gesture off that I can think of. It will work fine for fifteen minutes or so, then I get teleported to another workspace and move about browser windows and whatnot.

These issues don’t have anything to do with Krita. It’s Pop OS that does weird stuff. It worked fine in Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

1 Like

there are 2 different drivers on xp pen site, i use the new UI driver.

1 Like
  • Huion HS610
  • System version - Arch linux kernel 5.14.3-arch1-1
  • Krita 4.2 install, 4.4.8 install, 5 beta 1 appimage
  • KDE Plasma 5.22.5, Gnome 4, Cinnamon
  • Drivers tested: digimend, digimend-git, Opentabletdriver 5.3.3,

I’ve tested several drivers as this unit does not fully function out-of-box. (configured buttons/wheel/tilt.)

digimend (kernel driver): only first 8 buttons work. tilt/wheel ring+ 5 buttons do not function, nor are they reported by utilities. Pen buttons/pressure work and can be configured with the xsetwacom utility when installed.

digimend-git: first 12 buttons work. wheel ring/tilt/13th button do not function. Pen buttons/pressure work and can be configured with the xsetwacom utility when installed.

opentabletdriver: first 8 buttons work. Wheel ring/tilt/13th button do not function. Pen buttons/pressure work and pen pressure is configured using ‘artist mode’ from the GUI.
(These drivers can also be used for gaming set ups such as OSU, thus the selection requirement for pressure/no pressure.)

opentabletdriver-git: 12 buttons work, wheel/tilt/13th button do not as of yet, but is under active devlopment per github as this is not unique to this brand/model. Pen functions/pressure work.

Opentabletdriver has a cross-platform GUI, and is the best solution of the them all at this point. (GUI+configuration support.)

• 13th button is the wheel center button.

Tilt does not function under any of these drivers as of yet.

As I am a lefty, all 3 drivers can flip orientation.

With all driver solutions, pressure/pen/position were all correct.

The KDE plasma desktop has the best internal tablet support, but does not function correctly at this point for this model.

I have never played with nor attempted to configure with the ‘soft-buttons’ for this tablet.

1 Like
  • Tablet name: Huion HS64 / Huion Inspiroy HS64

• System version: Linux Ubuntu 18.10
      • Krita Version: 4.4.5 to 5.0.0 beta 1 with regular updates.
      • “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - I dont use it.
      • Desktop environment used - GNOME 3
      • Drivers used - digimend drivers (from git)
      • Currently using appimage with the versions above; Tested snap version with 4.4.8 .
  • Whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play), or you had to set it up or install something extra - It didnt work from the start. Had to install digimend drivers from git.

• Whether your pen buttons work - They work with the default (pan and left click). Can be set up with xsetwacom.

• Whether your tablet buttons work - They work as intended. Needs setting up with xsetwacom.

• Whether your pressure works consistently - Work as intended.

• Whether the position of the pen is correct - there’s a slight shift from the actual cursor (1 or 2 px).

• Whether you have any other input issues - No issues with this.

• Other issues - I don’t have a UI to change tablet settings or adjust pressure curve outside of Krita.

1 Like
Windows 10
  • XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro

• Krita 5.0 Beta 1

• Wintab works perfectly, Windows Ink disables the Pen Buttons

• No Middle/Right Click Workaround needed

• “Pen and Touch” are disabled

• Pen Buttons work with the Official Driver, does not work with the optional driver

• Pressure works consistently

• Position of Pen is correct

• No input issues

Android
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

• Krita 5.0 Beta 1 (64 bits Arm CPU APK)

• Pen Button only Pans
    Non-configurable to the Pop-up Pallete
    “Double-click to Erase” does not work

• No Palm Rejection
    While drawing, palm can click and cause Layer Opacity to be 0% or accidently lock layers
    No other issues

• UI
    Cut off on screen
    Manage Resources
    Brush Editor

For the Wacom Intous Pro P22TH-860

Linux
  • tablet name - Wacom Intous Pro P22TH-860
  • System version - Arch Linux kernel 5.14.5-zen1-1-zen
  • Krita Versions - 4.4, krita 5 beta 1, latest git master
  • Desktops - KDE plasma (X11), Gnome (Wayland/X11), Cinnamon (X11)
  • drivers used - input-wacom (The default in the Linux Kernel)
  • Install Type: Steam, Appimage
  • whether everything worked from the start (plug-and-play) - Yes
  • Whether your pen buttons work - Works out of box
  • Whether your tablet buttons work - Before using the tablet buttons in Krita I had to set them to a keyboard button in the desktop tablet settings.
  • whether the position of the pen is correct - Yes

Wacom Cintiq Companion 2
Cintiq 22HDT on a Mac mini
· Arch Linux - kernel 5.14.5-zen1-1-zen
· Krita 4.2 & 5.0 BETA 1 (appimage)
· Awesome Window Manager
· Xorg
· linuxwacom drivers

On the Companion 2, I have disabled the touch option, that not work properly on Linux
All work fine with the Cintiq 22HDT including the touch option

I use custom bash scripts and wmctrl and xsetwacom to switch differents profiles/mapping for differents softwares.

Huion Kamvas 22 plus on Windows

Tablet : Huion Kamvas 22plus GS2202

• System

• Windows 10 Pro 19042.1165 [My Desktop]
    • Krita 5.1.0-prealpha git 36ab08a
    • “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - I’m not using it
    • Both WinTab and Windows Ink : Works on both
    • Driver: Huion v15.3.19.174
    • old intel i5 4570 cpu, 16gb ram
  • Pen and Touch : I didnt change a setting from the default.

• Work from start : Yes

• Pen buttons work : Yes

• Tablet buttons work : N/A

• Consistent pen pressure : Yes

• about 99% - in rare occasions it stop working and then i would need to restart krita or the driver
  • Correct pen position : Yes - no issues [I calibrated it right after installation].

• Other input issues : No

• Other issues : No

Huion Kamvas 13(2020) on Windows

Tablet : Huion Kamvas 13 (2020) GS1331 / connected by USB-C

• System

• Windows 10 Pro 19041.1165 [Work Laptop]
    • Krita 5.1.0-prealpha git 36ab08a
    • “Middle and right click workaround” in Tablet Settings - I’m not using it
    • Both WinTab and Windows Ink : It works on both.
    • Driver: Huion v15.3.19.174
    • intel core i5 8250u, 16gb ram
  • Pen and Touch : I didnt change a setting from the default.

• Work from start : Yes

• Pen buttons work : Yes

• Tablet buttons work : Yes

• Consistent pen pressure : Yes

• about 99% - in rare occasions it stop working and then i would need to restart krita or the driver
  • Correct pen position : Works mostly if tablet is set right handed no flipping to left hand [180]

• Pens occasionally jump to the side where it should be if tablet is not rotated 180 / left hand.
    • Im not left handed but the USB-C port i connect it to is on the other side so sometimes i would flip it 180 so that wire does not go around - thats when i notice this issue.
  • Other input issues : No

• Other issues : No

Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch + CTH460;

• Windows 10;
  • Krita 4.3 at least;
  • likes windows ink better
  • I dont know;
  • Had to install Drivers, Change to windows Ink and Turn of Touch (as it would register another drawing input while drawing with the pen)
  • All button work;
  • Pressure works consistently but pressure clamps to max and min values;
  • Position of the Pen is correct;
  • works very nice, but has a small surface area so it is sensitive the larger your screen is;
  • drivers are no longer updated and might stop working in the future but they still work;
  • when drivers break the need to be reinstalled. This can happen every so often. When drivers are broken doing reload previous settings can help for the session your in but will need to be reinstalled regardless;

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24’’ + DTK2420 (no touch version)

• W10;
  • Krita 5 beta;
  • works with windows ink or without but I prefer without as it allows better pressure registration.
  • I dont know;
  • I bought it without touch;
  • Plug and Play;
  • All default buttons work. Previously the stylus eraser would flicker the tools wrong on my Cintiq and got fixed. But my 3D stylus pen extra button does not work well so I only use the default stylus pen. Express keys are noticeably slow especially the ring to rotate and brush scale the third option I think had a really hard time to work at all. Not even worth using.
  • Pressure works consistently and with excellent precision.
  • Cursor Position is correct.
  • Some natural lag that by itself as it smooths your inputs reducing the need for a stabilizer from any software.
  • drivers work alot better as they don’t break so often and when they do restarting the computer is enough to fix most of the times. Automatic updates is amazing and customisation per software too.

Android: Samsung Tablet S-6 Lite
Krita 4.7, 5.0 beta

Theres a number of changes to make for view/layout,in order to have room to work. There’s a couple of good threads in the forum on that.

Commands needing keyboard shortcuts can’t be activated. with patience and testing one should be able to create custom buttons for most.

Getting the S-Pen to work with pop_ up pallette is non- intuitive (ignore the S-Pen section in Settings).

Over all I am very happy with Krita on this tablet. Even though it is a smaller cousin to the full fledged desktop in terms of ability the gain in portability is sweet.

I’ll edit this post over time to add links and notes.

Hi, just for clarification, this is not the information I need here. Maybe I was imprecise in the main post, I’ll try to edit it to be more precise. What I need to know is whether your pen works on your Android tablet: does it have pressure, does it have tilt (if the model has tilt), etc. I used the word “tablet” because in PC world it exclusively means the drawing pad that you draw on, so if you have tablet issues, it means that your pen doesn’t work correctly (for example only draw with 100% pressure).

I will add your mention of S-Pen not working with S-Pen Settings to the list though since that’s more related.

Huion Q11K V2

• Windows 10
  • Krita Next (09aee17)
  • Wintab, but Windows Ink also works
  • “Middle and right click workaround”: No
  • (if on Windows) whether you disabled “Pen & Touch gestures” in Windows Settings: Not sure what/where this is.
  • Plug n Play: No, works like a mouse (with lag at stroke start/end), requires drivers for pressure, etc, and for the lag to go away.
  • Whether pen buttons work: Yes, though there’s a Huion bug. I contacted them and they could not tell me whether it was a hardware issue or not, but you have to press twice as hard when holding a button down. But I think Krita doesn’t support hold to erase afaik anyways.
  • whether your pressure works consistently: Yes
  • whether the position of the pen is correct: Yes
  • whether you have any other input issues: No
1 Like

We can create a wiki post and have a table in it just like the manual.

2 Likes

All tested within the week on latest stable krita release:
Huion H610 Pro (2148)
Huion H610 Pro V2
Huion Kamvas 20

All functionality works in these tested versions as expected (sensitivity, position, tablet buttons, etc.) Use the official Huion drivers as one should. Tested with WinTab. Pen buttons also work in these versions. They were all used for one or many artworks I made, so all were tested for some duration of time.

When you make a chart or editable wiki page, try to include a column for Wintab vs. Windows Ink as well as most recent confirmed working version, since instability could creep in between old tablets and new versions in the future.

1 Like
  • VEIKK VK1060
  • system version; Linux Mint 20.3
  • Krita version; 5.0.2 (both appimage and installed tested)
  • Desktop environment used: Cinnamon
  • Drivers used: VEIKK vktablet-1.0.3-2-x86_64.deb
  • Tablet worked from the start (no elevated permission required)
  • Pen side buttons (2) configurable and work as expected
  • Pressure works consistently (configurable curve)
  • Pen position is correct
  • Tablet area can be mapped to screen aspect ratio
  • Hotkeys (8) are configurable to Hard Key or Soft Key.

I also tried this VEIKK tablet on an old DELL (Latitude E6400) laptop running Krita 4.2 on Windows 7. It worked without any issues.

1 Like