Drawn & Quarantined: paint online from daily prompts

Hi! I’m the developer of drawnandquarantined.com, a site that gives daily prompts, and you have up to an hour to paint them.

It comes with a paintbrush tool and an interesting way of blending colours. There’s a restricted palette, but you can blend up to three colours at a time, which makes for a painterly look while staying within a consistent colour harmony. There’s a “gradual eyedropper” tool, like with Krita, but the chosen colour is always a blend from the palette.

I’d love to hear what you think about it!

1 Like

Are there any system requirements? All I get where I suppose the app should be is “nothing to see here”.

Firefox on Android

Ah, thanks for the feedback! The “nothing to see here” message appears only on days when no one drew anything—but I realize that I can find a more user-friendly way of putting it. I’ll get to work on that.

For system requirements, the site works better on a computer than a phone. With a phone, I’ve made it so that you can view all the previously made pictures, but I haven’t written code that lets users draw with their phone yet.

I painted this yesterday for the prompt “ceramic”.

2 Likes

I tried it a little bit yesterday and it worked fine on the computer.

It didn’t seem to respond much to pen pressure though?

Cool, glad you were able to try it out! It doesn’t respond to pen pressure at all yet, since I couldn’t get the browser to detect my pen. That was on Ubuntu, though, so I may try again on a Mac and see if it works there. If so, I can experiment with pen pressure, and I may add a new pen tool just for that.

In the meantime, the closest thing is that the paintbrush does respond to speed, so faster strokes will be “scratchier” and a bit transparent. (Technically, the transparency doesn’t change, but every individual bristle stroke gets thinner, giving the impression of transparency.)

I’m trying to strike a balance between accessibility and richness of features: I don’t want to overwhelm people who aren’t professional artists, but I also want to make it interesting for people who are used to more advanced software. With that in mind, if I am able to get pen pressure detection working in the browser, do you have a suggestion for what effect that should have? For example, would you intuitively expect it to vary the stroke width?

Yes. Real amateurs probably won’t have a tablet anyway.

I’d like a pencil brush that varies in thickness and opacity and a pen brush that only varies in thickness.

A fill brush that varies in opacity and a little in thickness could be good too. Somewhat simulating a Copic marker.

Late for work now. We gots to go! :slight_smile:

Super, thanks for the suggestions. For now, it would be hard to have a changing opacity using a smooth tool (e.g., Copic marker), but I could make a kind of scumbly pencil tool where “blob” has its own opacity, and a pen tool should also be straightforward. I’ll get to work on it!

Exciting news! Pressure is working well. I haven’t written any new tools, but I rewrote the paintbrush to respond to pressure: it affects each bristle individually, so at lower pressure, only a few bristles (those with low opacity) will be drawn. Also, the pressure corresponds inversely to bristle size, so the harder you press, the thinner they are: this means that the low-pressure strokes are slightly bigger but more transparent, while the high-pressure strokes are scratchier.

I also added a sandbox so that you can play around with the drawing tools: www.drawnandquarantined.com/sandbox.

Here’s a cloud I painted last night with the improved paintbrush:

1 Like

That looks really nice!

I hope I’ll have some time to try it out during the weekend.