E.J.'s sketchbook

So um yeah… I guess I’m starting another sketchbook thread… here goes;

24 Likes

Speed paints and illustrations the past few months;

10 Likes

this is a drawpile illustration, not krita…

8 Likes

Cool! :slight_smile:

I can definitely see progress in your work since CA - your handling of colour especially seems to have improved a lot. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I started forcing myself to use pre-made limited color palettes so my colors wouldn’t be all over the place… it’s helped a lot.

1 Like

My final entry for the august 22 monthly contest; kiki fan art

7 Likes

Older works;

11 Likes

weekend shenanigans;

13 Likes

I can imagine some of your images as book covers because they give the impression of a story to be told.
Thinks: Tricycle Reader, Antibody Soldier, TBride

1 Like

Thank you… I’ve been focusing a lot on narrative/keyframe illustrations… hence the “storytelling” in my images. Now what the stories are, I really don’t know… but so long as it gives an impression of a story, I’m all in.

The kiki WIP is interesting. I see you started with a Blender reference, then made a line drawing based on it. The next step with the heavy texture (WIP 3) is odd to me, though; I can’t place it. Did that texture factor into the WIP 4, was it for easier visualization in some way, or was it just a change in style?

Lovely work, by the way. Really digging the colors of the lady resting on the piano

It wasn’t a change in style, it’s part of my process. I color my pieces very messy at first, so WIP 3 is my initial coloring phase. I would look at the canvas as zoom out as I could and squint my eyes to see if the colors and values read well. If it does, then I merge all my color edit layers into one, then smudge everything to get WIP 4. WIP 4 then is what I used as my “base painting” to detail my piece.

1 Like

weekend shenanigans;

“Autumn Adventure” for the September Monthly contest

9 Likes

weekend shenanigan; “old game”

8 Likes

weekend shenanigan;

“Snow Wolf”

Image is for the monthly contest. It’s a lion-inspired white dragon living in a snowy environment.

8 Likes

Nice work! - Cool Idea and composition.

I’m glad you’re joining in with this. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

I should probably get started on it myself… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

thanks

my entry for this month’s character design challenge “Fighting Clown”

7 Likes

Sky Pirate’s Den

3 Likes

Nice model! But doesn’t this belong more on Blenderartists than Krita-artists?