faces training

Hey there. I’m doing a 100 portrait with the hard round brush challenge created by Lixin Yin. This is done with Krita’s default “b)_Basic-2_Opacity” brush.
I added a rule to myself, it has to be 1 hour. No less. No more. There is a reason for this: when I look back I always think “hopefully I didn’t stop at 30 or even 50 mins” and after 60 minutes my brain and emotions are toasted and I don’t want to get into the realism trap so I stop there.
This is very challenging and rewarding as the first 20 minutes are especially hard for self-confidence. But then brain wonders happen and it starts to look like the reference. Then on the next portrait, you have more self-confidence from the start.
I’ve started to do 1/day. I hope I can complete this within 3 months

Since krita has a recorder now, I couldn’t resist the urge to test it and record my process:

Here are my portraits so far:

58 Likes

Very nice! For now, i’m using only one brush per painting because i’m new to krita.
Nice time frame too. It is necessary to limit this routines.

1 Like

Here are some new faces !
I have a lot of things to settle with the joker (>_>)

9 Likes

new portraits !!!

13 Likes

Starting a series with Maya Larbi, she’s a kid model !

9 Likes

11 Likes

7 Likes

Sara Orrego for the next 4 images !

10 Likes

5 Likes

Are you shooting for time limit. 1.5 hours or So? Looks like fun.

Yes you have my little rules detail in the first post :slight_smile:
Here is an update !
The it portraits were pretty fast though, one of them took 30mins and others were also 50mins max
I’ll try to be more consistent with updates from now on !

8 Likes

started an alien batch !

7 Likes

nothing to do with alien but oh well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

back to aliens :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fantastic! It’s almost unbelievable what level of expression can be achieved with such a basic brush - when it’s in the right hands.

Thanks ! And it’s really addictive (>_<)

4 Likes

Gosh! I love your art. Outstanding and very impressive. What I like most is this strong personal interpretation you manage to express with your style.

Thank you ! :slight_smile: A key step for me was to drop the sketch phase and paint directly. I felt more expressive/painterly this way.

1 Like

4 Likes

4 Likes