Feature request: Global brush angle offset for tilt direction

At least on linux pen calibration is to find four variables: x and y offset (a top-left corner of a rectangle on your tablet which will be mapped to the top-left corner of a screen) and rectangle width and height (indicating the bottom-right corner). Nothing in this callibration refers to tilt direction.
As I said, I will check this in original driver on windows 10 in case it’s more complex there.

Just question about ergonomic: do you use any stand for the tablet? And I am right understand that you usually rotate hand from 135 to 180 degree?

I’m not sure I understand.
My tablet is a bit tilted, but that is absolutely not what we were discussing in this thread.
Tilt direction is the clockwise angle around axis perpendicular to the tablet with a 0 at the top. So tilt-direction is 0deg when the pen’s eraser is facing at your monitor, 90deg when its facing your right, 180deg when it’s facing you etc. My very first image is showing how those angles are measured.

If it’s clear and you asked two fully separate questions… my desk is tilted about 10deg and I use some small wooden planks at the end of the tablet to raise it even more to about 20deg. I don’t use pen elevation in any way as I don’t feel comfortable with changing it while drawing. I rotate my hand a little bit and can change the way how I hold my pen - the most comfortable tilt direction angle for me is 135, but I would say I get a range of 90 to 150.

Sorry for the offtop, I just curious how to artist adopts to use tilt direction on the classic tablet. I tried to use it on the intuos but find too difficult to rotate hand 275 to 180 clockwise like I am doing on my cintiq – flat tablet angle make it too stretchy for my hand + monitor scaling feature + thin outline of brushtip makes it really hard for me.

2 Likes

Hello Goodnight!
I like the proposal, usually the calibration of your brushes is usually very polished, but it is true that it does not fully match the inclination of the hand. More than a problem it is a limitation to which I had to get used to.
In my particular case, except for some cases, I usually avoid inclined brushes, because the inclination movement must be exaggerated. Generally, every artist gets used to the offset between the monitor and the tablet, however, if there was a way to make the brushes more precise, Welcome !!!

1 Like

I must say that on pigmento I wanted to place some basic brush options like this too if they were open in python. I only managed to do size, opacity and flow up until now.

3 Likes

After talking with @RamonM I figured out it’s possible to show this proposed behaviour with custom brushes. I made a bundle as a proof of concept:

download the bundle

the bundle consists of two presets that imitate correctly set offset for a right- and left-handed user. I highly recommend to check it out in krita 5.0-prealpha as it’s clearer with the new angle rotation widged in the brush settings.

If you’re willing to check it out, (and you have a tilt device):

1. Download and import the bundle
  2. Pick a correct brush (orange-leftHanded, green-rightHanded) and try to draw with it (arrow should be facing right, just as in the original brush tip).
  3. Go to brush settings (F5) and try rotating the brush with the angle widget.
    Do you think that this angle you set in a widget corresponds better to the output of the brush, than what you have with any other default tilt brush?

Implementing my request would give advantage of one preset creating the same output for right-, left-handed users, those drawing with non-tilt tablet and a mouse, with just ticking a “rotation-tilt direction” dependence (in a workaround I had to create separate presets, they need to use custom curves and mirroring, and don’t work for mouse and non-tilt).

1 Like

cool! i tryed first with 5 prealpha and then with 4.4 theres to much diference. i think your proposal it will be to much help

In face there is no difference to brush itself in 4.4 and 5.0 and the problem was bothering me for a long time, but I think that it just got much more visible with the new widget. I’m very happy you like the proposal :slight_smile:

1 Like

i think its some thing new in the digital painting programs universe

It’s really weird for me to think about it like that, as it’s such a simple concept. I have no idea why it’s not available in any other program or tablet driver.

But overall, you feel that this corrected signal feels more natural and easier to understand and change during painting that the default behavior of all the default tilt brushes? Because at some point I was afraid that I’m the only person who finds the default one problematic :smiley:

The problem does not arise until someone works with it. In general, the inclination is not something very exploited, I use the Ps as a reference and it has the option but as with the rest, you cannot go very deep in the calibration.
Until now for me it was not an element that I considered useful, until I came across your brushes and Ramón’s.
I insist that you guys are developing a much richer proposal in terms of bundles.

1 Like

I will broaden my vision on this topic.
The polishing of the brush calibration is no small thing. It is a refinement to the program that will provide a better user experience.
The brush tilt option is perhaps one of the least used, some of the reasons that promote this is that in general digital painting programs do not have the amount of possibility to calibrate the presets brushes as Krita does, so so much is something little explored in general. The second factor (and I think it is closely related to the previous one) that there are no artists who take it into account, except, Ramón Miranda and wojtryb, who (as I said before) have developed bundles that use a criterion of painting or drawing technique digital, its packs are a selection and calibration of brushes that allow a result of quality and closed, which make the most of the tools provided by Krita. the inclination of the brush according to the hand that the user uses (left or right) makes a lot of difference in the results and comfort when painting.
I think it is important to give importance to something that at first seems small, because it is a refinement of the program, but what happens if, due to these changes, the arrival of new users to Krita turns out to be a huge door? Refining the engines and their options or variables is like buying a high-purity flax oil to paint in oils or using better pigments to create watercolor pads.

1 Like

Thank you all for the discussion. After asking the developers, I created a wish report on bugtracker. You can track it here:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433440

4 Likes