Feature Request: Outline Selection Tool Feathering

Greetings!

I would like to suggest a feature! I might have overlooked it, but I think adding a feathering slider to the “Outline Selection Tool” would be an amazing addition to your software. This would allow the user to leave a ‘softer’ or ‘more defined’ contour when painting within a selected area.

Thanks for reading my suggestion,
Joonko A

P.S. If I overlooked this feature’s existence, please let me know!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There’s an Anti-aliasing tick-box in the Tool Options docker for all the selection tools (except for the Similar Colour Selection tool).
It’s only there is you have Mode set to Pixel Selection, as opposed to Vector Selection when it’s not there because you can’t feather the edges of a vector shape.
This gives a fixed amount of feathering.
A feathering slider would be nice, for convenience.

You can do Select -> Show Global Selection Mask and then the selection itself (which is implemented as a form of mask) will be shown as a layer.
You can do operations on this layer, such as blur (or even manual painting) and then you have any amount of feathering you like.

2 Likes

Select -> Feather Selection, or just press Shift + F6, :smile:

1 Like

This could be great to have in the Tool Options for discoverability!

1 Like

The tool options itself has discoverability issues, feathering could also be adjusted by Right Click -> Transform -> Feather Selection, when using a selection tool, :slight_smile:

1 Like