Forum's FAQ: "Artwork done with Krita"

In the FAQ it is stated that

“The majority of the work should be done in Krita.”

But what is the “majority” to you? I am currently working on a new character reference for one of my Sonic fan characters but I’ve done the sketch and the lineart with proprietary software and want to do the colouring, editing, finishing with Krita.

Could that be the “majority” or is it completeley subjective or does it depend on the process/the artwork? (I don’t know how much time I spend for the process’s part in the proprietary software…)

Of course, as long as I am not sure, I won’t post the image in the forum, just to be safe.

I guess it means 51 percent or more. Anything less would be by definition not be a majority anymore.

But how do I estimate what parts of the process would be at least 51%?

If you sketch one hour in Photoshop and two hours in Krita, so three hours in total, you would have done 66% percent of your work in Krita. That could be one way to estimate it.
However if you paint all the work in Phtoshop for one hour and the only thing you do in Krita is applying one filter for two ours because it takes time to get it right, I’d say the majority is not done in Krita.

I think nobody will complain if your estimate is not 100% correct, the main work should be done in Krita though.

I don’t know how much time I spend for the process’s part in the proprietary software…

Well, even if I don’t really know an estimated time I’ve already spent with the image in CSP, I do think now that it would be wiser not to post it here because I worked sketch for a long time, trying to plan out the new design for the character…

The reason for that rule is to keep this forum related to Krita and not make this place a normal art forum. And one of the primary goals of this place is to highlight the features and abilities of Krita. It is okay if you start the basics and initial concepts with other software, but Krita should be used in some meaningful way. It is really hard to quantify it. But for simplifying it I would give the example like @Takiro gave, If you do all the artwork in other software and just use krita for one thing like flatting or applying some filter etc it is not appropriate to say Krita is used substantially in that artwork and seek for a place for that artwork in this forum. I mean it won’t be meaningful to share that artwork here.

In the end It is also not possible for us to calculate or find out how much work was done in Krita in an artwork so the onus of following this rule honestly lies in the hands of the person submitting the artwork. So we trust the users in good faith that they do not flood this Krita forum with artwork done with other software.

Hope I explained it well.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve understood for what that rule is for.
But for me, it is very hard to estimate some things…
Like: “How long does that step take?” or “How much time have I spent on that artwork since I’ve startet it 4 days ago?”

These things, and many more.
But I think I’ll just go the safe route and only post artworks completely done with Krita, because I very often start with sketching (and maybe lineart) in CSP and continue with everything else in Krita.
(I wouldn’t use CSP if there hasn’t been the discount for my Wacom Intuos Comic - otherwise I would only use Krita, which I actually did for some images)

You can see the time you spend in Krita at least, in File -> Document information.

Thanks, but I haven’t even started with the Krita-part yet and still don’t know how much time I spent with CSP on it…
I don’t think you can see your spent time in CSP, so I just think that I’d rather not post it.

Although not only related to Kirta or painting: If you like to know how much time you spend on different tasks, I advice installing some time tracking or time management software. On Linux I used the Hamster Project for a long time. At Work, where I have to work on Windows, I use the free version of ManicTime.

I use it to check how much time I spend on different tasks or in programs. This can help when you have to quote a client, but more importantly it gives you a feeling for how much time you spend on projects, how efficient you work (how often you trail off to browse krita-artists ;3) and from looking at that you learn to estimate how long you will take on future projects.

1 Like

Don’t focus on time, ask yourself if krita was a fundamental part to achieving your masterpiece, if it was, it should be safe to post.
You can make the sketch by hand, the basic background layout in blender, lineart in mypaint, color in krita and add the special touch with g’mic. Then ask yourself, was krita fundamental? If you think it was, safe to post.
As I have seen, many artists have multiple programs in their workflow, and yet, the final art wouldn’t be as nice without Krita!

3 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t use Blender or MyPaint (I have tried and they weren’t exactly my thing). CSP (= Clip Studio Paint) is not even FLOSS…
And I’m reeeaaally bad at judging such things
But thank you anyway ^^

Doesn’t matter what software you use (I mentioned those just to exemplify), as long KRITA has a fundamental part among those.

Just question yourself: “Could I accomplish this awesome piece of art without Krita?”
If the answer is yes, don’t post.

1 Like

Now I am curious to ask where Krita failed and CSP shined, :upside_down_face:

PS: I am serious and asking about the shortcomings of it compared to CSP in your workflow, :slight_smile:

‘vector line art tools’

1 Like

Is this related? https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/1256
I mean could this improve the current situation if we manage to include such feature in Krita, cause it is quite possible to do it, :smiley:

No, that’s unrelated. It’s more like our calligraphy tool(except not broken) or inkscape’s powerstroke, or blender’s greasepencil. The idea is that people really want to edit the lines afterwards.

@hellozee
I used CSP before I used Krita, like in general, because it was a free software for my Wacom Intuos Comic as a bundled software (that was about 4 to 3 years ago, so when I didn’t know anything about that whole FLOSS topic). I currently try getting to know Krita more - I stopped back then after a short time when I had started digital painting because the software was very confusing and my PC that I had was very weak.

Some time ago (mid 2018), having a better PC and knowing a bit more about digital art, I wanted to try Krita again because I felt it had things that CSP didn’t (e.g. more brushes and options for them, better engine for watercolour-brushes, more filters) and because I wanted (and still want) to have a free alternative to CSP, in case that I would have to buy it again. The only reason I bought it after the 2 years from my bundled code have expired was that I got a discount from the bundle.

I guess I still enjoy drawing in CSP is because I can do sketches and lineart better with it. I can’t explain it. It just… feels better? I don’t know. Maybe one part could be the stabiliziation that I get along with better in CSP than in Krita (in Krita, I always use the Dynamic Brush Tools but sometimes it still feels odd) or that the brush I use for lineart works better in CSP than the recreated one in Krita.
But I really can’t explain the whole of it. I’m sorry.

CSP has vector layers and good tools for them, yes, but I haven’t used that software in a long time, so I didn’t use them for the lineart in my piece. In fact, the vector layers were a reason for that but they aren’t anymore.
(CSP wasn’t my first drawing software. Before I had a drawing tablet, I used MS Paint :arrow_right: Paint.net :arrow_right: FireAlpaca/Medibang)

1 Like