Genetic Drawing (automatic painting of an image)

This is kind of insane. Corel Painter has that kind of a feature and there’s the sketching Plugins from TopazLabs and Akvis, but Anastasia Opara made this new tool from scratch and just released it as open source. I wonder if I can run it on Windows somehow…

Something like that could boost loads of new users to Krita. I mean… one can dream, right? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is super cool! :grin:

I also saw this, which, if I understood correctly, is also open-source!

I wonder if cool technology like this would be worth implementing into Krita, like how Blender implemented AI denoisers such as Intel’s. As you say, if people see that things like this can be done with Krita, more people would want to try it! Imagining having this in the same way we have G’MIC is a cool thought!

4 Likes

Wow, 296sloc only to code something like this :scream:
Ok, there’s an intensive use of external libraries for fast calculations (OpenCV and NumPy) that reduce the code size, but wow

Code is in python, so I guess it should be not so difficult to adapt it as a Krita plugin.
There’s only one problem: this use OpenCV and NumPy (matplotlib and jupyter notebook are useless) and if they’re not included in Krita default python library (in an appimage), it’s not possible to create a plugin that can be used by everyone (or maybe, but I don’t want provide explanation for installation and support! :sweat_smile:)

After, NumPy is a library that can allows to create efficient python plugins for image processing (otherwise python is so slooooow for computation that it’s difficult to provide image processing plugin purely written in Python) and having it with Krita could be interesting for future Python plugin development :star_struck:
I don’t know OpenCV, but it seems cool for image analysis.

Grum999

1 Like

@Deevad’s Pepper&Carrot are everywhere :slight_smile:

That’s impressive how from a flat colored image, they build volumes and light… :astonished:

I’ve just looked, not listened… but from I what I see:

Install made through pip, OK
Need to create an account to use the framework: not sure that framework’s license is compatible with GPL3 (and if you need to ask user to create an account to use a plugin, that’s not acceptable I think)
After I didn’t dig the subject, just took a quick look…

Grum999

1 Like

That stuff is making me nervous, in good and bad ways :smiley: But I am pretty sure good art will never suffer from these technological advances since in the end, a person has to make the choices.
I can’t code to save my life, otherwise I’d be looking in all those possibilities for Krita.

That’s nice! - So once skynet has eradicated us from the earth, it can retire and take up painting as a hobby… :thinking:

Art is a relative thing.

For example, I’m just not able to understand Picasso or Van Gogh, but I’m in love in front of some street artists work.
So, you can give a brush to an IA, if it’s to paint like Van Gogh does (did?), I’ll be indifferent to result and I won’t be upset about the future :sweat_smile:

Grum999

1 Like