Glitches in snap to assistants

I finally set up a perspective guide but when I draw, I see that there are glitches at the beginning of my strokes.

Here’s a screenshot:

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S7 tablet running Android 12 with Krita 5.0.6 (from the Playstore).

I can get similar effects if I have an Infinite Ruler as well as the VP assistant and I don’t have Snap Single enabled.
I have to make an effort to do it so it may be that your stylus has a lower resolution than my graphics tablet.

You can try enabling Snap Single to see if it helps at all.

I tried that. Didn’t help.

Do you have only the VP assistant in use?

The only other thing I can think of is to change the dpi of your image to be very small or very large, e.g. 5dpi or 1000dpi. That has an effect on how many pixels distance is needed to establish the stroke direction. I can’t remember if it’s very large or very small that causes problems so try them both.

You can do this in Image → Scale Image to New Size then enable ‘Adjust print size separately’ and change the Resolution Pixels per inch value.
You can change it back to whatever value you like later.

2 Likes

Yes.

1000 dpi? That might overload my tablet’s ability. It was having problems when I was working on an image that was 300 dpi. :grimacing:

It was what I was thinking about, that’s how I manage this problem on my side: temporary set a low dpi value when working with assistant.

No
you can have a 25x25px size @6000dpi (useless) you computer will be ok
and a 25000x25000px size @6dpi and your computer will suffer

dpi is only used for printing, what is really important for memory and performance is document size in pixels
The only one “impact” you’ll have on your drawing by changing dpi is for vector text if you have some, for which pixel size is calculated from given font size in pt (point) and resolution (in dpi)
That’s why on my side I change temporarily dpi to 10dpi and switch back to 600dpi when I finished to work with assistants.

I’m not sure, as @tiar is working on assistant, if this problem (the hard coded “4 pixels”) has been taken in account or not :slight_smile:

Grum999

2 Likes

The dpi related assistant thing has not been fixed yet for the 5.1.0-beta2 or the latest 5.2.0-prealpha.
I don’t know if any account has been taken of it in other areas.

I’ve used the Chromebook running version 5.0.6 and a Wacom graphics tablet.
I don’t see that kind of glitch at all if I have only a VP assistant, even if I try very hard to trigger it.
The only way I can trigger it is if I have a VP and a Parallel Ruler assistants and Snap Single is disabled and then I need to make a concious effort to trigger it.

This may be something to do with the Samsung tablet and its stylus :frowning:

1 Like

I think I do have that setup. When Snap Single is selected, I cannot control when and where the lines are made. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Do you get the same problem with a Windows desktop/laptop?
If not, it does sound like a Samsung/stylus problem.

1 Like

I haven’t tried on the computer yet. I’ll try later :+1:t2:

Ok, tried it out on Windows – same glitch! Windows 10, Wacom Intuos 4 tablet/stylus

(Newer marks circled in red)

Does it still glitch when Snap Single is enabled?

Yes, it did a bit.

Do you mean it glitched less?

Have you tried setting the document dpi to a very small value and does that affect anything?

I forgot about that. I’ll check that out later.

Ok, I was just testing out the assistants and Snap Single enabled on a document that is 2560 x 1600 and the assistant wasn’t glitchy this time. However it is hard to control which line gets drawn: a vertical instead of a diagonal, etc, just too frustrating to work with.
This was on Android 12. … I’ll check again on Windows 10 when I get on that computer.

“However it is hard to control which line gets drawn: a vertical instead of a diagonal, etc, just too frustrating to work with.”

I have the exact same Windows setup you have and I found the same thing happened. However I found that if I “rehearsed” the stroke without touching the stylus to the tablet, going in the direction I wanted, as if rehearsing a pencil line before making the mark, and then make the actual stroke, I could increase the accuracy to near 100%. I know it sounds strange but the only thing I could figure is that I was telegraphing the move to the Assistant ahead of the actual stroke. No more surprise vertical lines.

For what it’s worth, another thing I felt helped me was to drop the opacity of the grids, or, if things are really cluttered or high density, toggle View - Show Painting Assistants and turn on the View - Show Assistant Previews option. The Preview lines help give me a better idea of how things will line up.

Probably doesn’t make a lot of sense but it works for me and I’d be lost, perspective-wise, without the Assistant tools

Hope you find a solution. It really is a great set of tools

1 Like

I’ll try that, thanks.

I allowed the assistants lines to be so dark just for this test. :+1:t2:

@CrazyCatBird and @ASK432 if you download Krita Next, Line Tool snaps to assistant too and should be much easier to control. Plese test it if you can and let me know if and how much it solved the problem for you. It seemed pretty convenient for me when I was testing, even though it wasn’t meant to be a solution - it just turned out to be a solution when I started testing.