Help Krita improve with structured Beta Testing of the new resource system in Krita 5.0

Too cool! Thanks

Tags Tests
Everything worked as expected - except see note on alpha order of tags.

Installed nightly build - Windows 10 - 5.1.0-prealpha (git b058b37)

Test 1: Tag dropdown (Add a new tag)
From Brush Presets Docker, click on dropdown menu, type name of new tag in blue-bounded box, click + sign.
New tag is added. :white_check_mark:
Verified by clicking dropdown menu in Brush Presets Docker and Presets section of Brush Editor.:white_check_mark:

Test 2: Tag dropdown (Rename a default tag)
Selected default “My Favorites” from Brush Presets Docker.
Clicked Tag dropdown menu, selected Rename Tag.
Typed new tag, clicked + sign. :white_check_mark:
Renamed tag now exists at bottom of the list of tags (not in alpha order). :ballot_box_with_check:
*NOTE: After restart, new tags are in 2 alpha orders - 1st all tags beginning with capital letter, 2nd alpha order is tags beginning with lower case letter. :ballot_box_with_check:

Test 3: Tag dropdown (Rename a custom tag)
Selected a custom tag from Brush Presets Docker.
Clicked dropdown menu, clicked on Rename Tag.
Typed new tag name, clicked on + sign. :white_check_mark:
Renamed custom tag now exists in tag list, 4th from the bottom (not in alpha order) :ballot_box_with_check:
*NOTE: After restart, new tags are in 2 alpha orders - 1st all tags beginning with capital letter, 2nd alpha order is tags beginning with lower case letter. :ballot_box_with_check:

Test 4: Tag dropdown (Delete a default tag)
In Brush Presets Docker, selected Sketch tag.
Clicked Tag dropdown menu, clicked on Delete this Tag.
Sketch tag was deleted from tag list. :white_check_mark:

Test 5: Tag dropdown (Delete a custom tag)
Selected a custom tag from tag list, clicked Tag dropdown menu and clicked Delete This Tag.
Tag was deleted from list. :white_check_mark:

Test 6: Tag dropdown (Undelete a default tag)
Undelete Sketch tag (default tag that was deleted) was available as an option in the Tag dropdown menu regardless of tag filter (All, All Untagged or various individual tags selected). :white_check_mark:
Clicked on Undelete Sketch.
Sketch tag was returned to tag list - inserted in alpha order. :white_check_mark:

Test 7: Tag dropdown (Undelete a custom tag)
Undelete My Favos (the name of the custom tag I deleted) was available while the Brush Presets tag list was set to All, All Untagged and when any tag name was selected to filter the presets list.
Clicked Undelete My Favos and the tag was returned to the list - inserted in alpha order. :white_check_mark:

Test 8: Preset context menu (Assign an existing default tag)
From Manage Resources, selected c)Pencil_1_Sketch(mypaint) which had no tags assigned.
Clicked + and clicked on Sketch from tags popup list. :white_check_mark:

Test 9: Preset context menu (Assign a new tag)
From Manage Resources, selected c)Pencil_1_Sketch(mypaint).
Clicked + and typed new tag name in New Tag box at bottom of popup list. Clicked + to add the tag.
Tag was added to the resource. :white_check_mark:

Test 10: Preset context menu (Deassign from another tag)
From Manage Resources, selected a)_Eraser_Circle.
Clicked on x next to Digital tag. Tag was deleted from resource. :white_check_mark:

Test 11: Preset context menu (Deassign from the current tag)
From Brush Presets Docker, filtered to Impression.
Right-clicked on v) Texture Impressionism-Accurate, left-clicked on Remove From This Tag.
Resource was removed from tag Impression. :white_check_mark:

Test 12: Preset context menu (Deassign from the current tag when it’s “All” or “All untagged” - should be impossible)
In Brush Presets Docker, tags set to All.
Remove From Other Tag is available on right click and presents a list of tag(s) from which resource can be removed. :white_check_mark:
Remove From This Tag is not available. :white_check_mark:

Test 13: In Brush Presets Docker, tags set to All Untagged.
Remove From Other Tag does not appear on right click. :white_check_mark:
Remove From This Tag does not appear on right click. :white_check_mark:

Test 14: Tag selected at startup - should reflect the last selected tag when you closed Krita
Yes. Selected Muses in Brush Presets Docker and popup pallete, then quit Krita.
Restarted Krita.
Muses is the selected tag in Brush Presets Docker and popup palette. :white_check_mark:

Test 15: Brush Presets docker (Hover cursor over preset to show tooltip)
Hovered cursor over 10 different presets in Brush Presets Docker. Tooltip showed in each one. :white_check_mark:

Test 16: Tags Translated (On a Polish system with English Krita, it should create English tags)
Not tested.

Test 17: All (“All” tag works)
All tag works in Brush Preset Docker, Brush Editor and Manage Resources. :white_check_mark:

Test 18: All untagged (“All untagged” tag works)
All Untagged tag works in Brush Preset Docker, Brush Editor and Manage Resources. :white_check_mark:

Test 19: Tags (Deactivating bundle should remove associated tags)
From Manage Resources Libraries, selected Muses, clicked Deactivate. Close.
Muses tag is deleted from tags list. :white_check_mark:

Test 20: Reactivated Muses from Manage Resources Libraries and the tag and resources returned (phew!) :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Task Sets Testing

Test 1: Tasks sets docker (Save task set)
From Task Sets Docker, clicked record button.
Recorded 4 tasks.
Recorded Tasks saved and Task Sets Docker cleared by clicking trashcan icon. :white_check_mark:

Test 2: Tasks sets docker - chooser (Import a task set)
Click on the folder icon on Task Sets Docker, all saved task sets appear.

There is a little problem here. The highlight bar is solid - can’t read the name of the task set when the highlight is on it. In the screen cap above, there are 2 task sets but you can only see the one name “2nd”. The one above it is hidden. But it does function as expected other than the opacity of the highlight. :ballot_box_with_check: (should be fixed now: 7b7ec23a048b)

Test 3: Delete a Task Set
Works as expected except for opacity of highlight as noted above. :white_check_mark:
Click on folder at bottom of Task Set Docker.
Highlight task set to be deleted, click on trashcan.
Task is deleted. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

I reported it before Bug 441639

what is this?

2 Likes

I tested gradients with 5.0 beta

1. Press Cancel after editing: normal :white_check_mark:
  2. Edit the gradient–
    If I click “Yes”, a file xx.0001 will appear in the resource folder. Is this redundant? :snowflake:
    If the editor is “stop gradients”, the gradient inside the small icon will not be updated in real time. It needs to be switched to another gradient and converted back. But when you create a new gradient, it will be updated in real time. :ballot_box_with_check:

If you edit “segmented gradients”, you will have the same problem as above, in addition, the preview image in Gradient chooser is not correct. :ballot_box_with_check:

If you change the name of the gradient while editing, it creates a copy and then both gradients change to the new name together :red_square:

1. Add a new gradient–
    The preview image of “segmented gradients” is not normal :red_square:
    If the new gradient is of the same type as the existing gradient and has the same name, you will be asked whether to overwrite it: the Chinese name will be overwritten, but the name will be garbled; :red_square: the English name and numbers will be normal. :white_check_mark:

When overriding “segmented gradients”, it is always invalid :red_square:
If you delete a gradient and create a new gradient with the same name, you will be prompted whether to overwrite it, but no new gradient will be created after you click “Yes”. :red_square:

4.Import gradient from gradient dialog–
Import gradient from gradient dialog–when importing gradient with Chinese name, it becomes garbled. :red_square:
The thumbnails of the foreground and background colors show the colors at the time of export. :red_square:

1. After deleting the gradient, the contents of the resource folder do not disappear, and it prompts to overwrite when creating a new gradient with the same name. Then the problem mentioned in 3 will arise. After deleting directly from the resource folder, there is no such problem. (:snowflake: :question:)
  2. Foreground to back: normal :white_check_mark:

7, 8. These two gradients do work, but when I click “Confirm” and open the filter again, they have changed to custom colors. I need to change the color scale to foreground/background again :snowflake:

1. Normal :white_check_mark:
  2. It doesn’t, it automatically changes to the first one

Other s–
I noticed that there are also “Compact Gradient Editors” and “Generic Gradient Editor”
The “Compact Gradient Editors” in “Multigrid” do not recognize the foreground and background colors. :red_square: :snowflake:

The “segmented gradients” created and edited in “Generic Gradient Editor” can display thumbnails normally :white_check_mark: . Creating gradients with a file of the same name will not do anything. :red_square:
When you open the “Generic Gradient Editor”, the gradients you meet cannot be overwritten. You have to switch to another gradient and then you can overwrite it. :red_square:

(I also encountered a problem when creating “stop gradients”, but I couldn’t reproduce it later. I only remember that it had about 15 gradients, with foreground and background colors, several of the same color, and then when I clicked “Sort stops by hue” several times, the transparency of the last gradient changed :warning:)

Question.
Should some functions of “Generic Gradient Editor” be added to the Gradient chooser? For example, “Convert gradient button”. :question:
When using the “Gradient Map filter”, the foreground/background color above becomes gray. This is not very intuitive, need to change it in some places? :question: :snowflake:

4 Likes

PALETTES

Tested with the nightly 1c72b2c.

Given tests:

• Palette docker (Add a color) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker (Modify this spot) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker (Edit this palette) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker (Delete color) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker (Changing the palette) :white_check_mark:
  • Color Picker (Pick color from canvas into the palette) :question:
    • Not sure what’s meant with this — when I ctrl+click a colour from the canvas, the colour in the palette that’s closest to that colour gets highlighted. But this doesn’t add a new colour to the palette.
  • Palette docker - palettes (Add a new palette - in resources) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - palettes (Add a new palette - in a document) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - palettes (Export current palette to file) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - palettes (Import a new palette from file) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - palettes (Remove current palette) :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker (Edit palette to have less columns) :warning: Weirdness when colors present
    • Create a new palette, which has 16 colums by default
    • Add 8 colors to the first row
    • Reduce the column count to be less than 8, for example 6
    • The last two colours that don’t fit in the row are all the way at the bottom of the palette. I’d expect the two colours to be in row 2.
    • Bring column count back up to 16
    • The last two colours are still all the way at the bottom. I’d expect everything to be back as it was before resizing.
  • Color Sampler (Update view in Palette docker when the user uses color sampler to add swatches) :red_square: Palette docker doesn’t update
    • If the docker and the palette is visible while you sample colours, the palette doesn’t update. (Or sometimes updates, but incomplete or “a step behind”)
    • Switching to another palette and back then shows the correct palette with all the colours added with the sampler
  • Palette docker (Color Sampler + Palette docker) :question:
    • Not sure how this is different from the test above
  • Palette docker (Create a new palette) :white_check_mark:
  • Saving :white_check_mark:
  • Color Sampler (Use “save to palette” on a custom palette, close and reopen Krita) :white_check_mark:

Additional tests:

• Palette docker - assign tag to palette :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - filter by tag :white_check_mark:
  • Palette docker - edit this palette - add group :red_square: Krita hangs
    • Click on “Edit this palette”
    • Click “Add Group” and confirm with “OK”
    • Click “Add Group” again and confirm with “OK”
    • Confirm the edit palette dialog with OK
    • Krita hangs in an endless busy loop, printing “updating the palette model inside the palette editor object” in the console
  • Palette docker - select a palette :red_square: Can’t select first palette
    • Open an image with the palette docker open, initially there should be no palette selected
    • Try to select the first palette in the palette dropdown — can’t be selected because it’s already highlighted and clicking on it is a no-op.
    • Clicking on a different palette and then on the first one works

Gamut masks to follow tomorrow. :smiley:

3 Likes

If you use the Color Picker tool, in Tool Options there is an option “Add color to the palette”, that’s what this test it about :slight_smile:

This is also about the same thing. There is actually some known bug there but fixing it is not trivial…

Going down, I’ve noticed that all tests you were confused about were about that feature, so, yeah.

Damn I KNEW there was an infinite loop there :smiley: I think I can guess which code is it. Not sure how to make it not buggy though.

Thank you for testing!

1 Like

Right now when you edit a gradient fill layer or a gradient map filter layer/mask you can use the foreground/background colors, but when you confirm the changes, the gradient is saved with those converted to normal colors, otherwise those layers would change colors every time you change the fg/bg colors (if I understand correctly what you meant here).

This is related to the previous comment. The generic gradient editor is used right now in the gradient map filter and gradient fill layer. So, since those store the gradient on their own, when it is reloaded in the editor it doesn’t correspond with a gradient in the resources (even it can look as one of those), so no resource is selected and therefore there is none that can be overwritten.
Well, this was my logic when I implemented the generic editor and put it in the filter and the fill layer. But I don’t have experience with the resource system so I am not sure if there’s a better way to do this.

My idea is to try replacing the drop gradient chooser in the toolbar with the generic gradient editor, but it requires a bit of extra work.

If that happens when you select a filter mask/layer then it is because you can only paint there with grey tones (since you edit the mask).

2 Likes

Layer styles——5.0beta
First, I would like to know. Is the customstyles in asl a “group” and the 0001 files in layerstyles are specific styles? It seems that I can only work in this one group now and cannot create more groups? :question:

NEW——
If you select an existing style and make changes on it, then you cannot create a new layer style. There are no new files in the resource folder either :question:
If there is already a resource with the same name, there is no indication. There will be a new file in the resource folder, but it is not read :red_square:
Every time I start krita I can only create a new style, exactly a new style in the box. Creating other ones has 0001 files in the resource folder, but they are not read. :red_square:
I can’t create a new style in the imported asl file :red_square:

Import、Export——
I made several layer styles with krita, exported them and then imported them, but most of the files are not read, they appear in the resource folder. :red_square:

I did an upload of the files, where “324-副本” is definitely importable, and “324” was successfully imported once. I could not find a rule for them. :red_square:

Collections/storages combobox:There may also be a problem with it. It’s not that it can’t create a new style, but it’s not displayed? :red_square:
(In addition, I want to add that it lacks a button for deleting… but that’s a digression)

Notes: I also downloaded some layer styles of photoshop for testing: there is a big gap between the effect and the picture given when opening the psd and applying the layer style. But when you reopen the layer style interface, it will change (But still different) :question:
漂亮的霓虹灯层风格|免费照片店风格在刷! (brusheezy.com)

1 Like

Aaah, found the option! And yeah, the update is buggy — I edited my comment above with my new findings. But the Color Picker Tool is the Color Sampler tool, right? So there are two tests left with question marks where I’m not sure how they differ from the test I now marked as failed.

And I found another bug with selecting a palette, again, I edited it into my reply above.

3 Likes

Gamut Masks — everything’s fine as far as I can tell. Tested with nightly 1c72b2c

Given tests:

• Gamut masks docker (Create new mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Edit selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Duplicate selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Delete selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Use Save button in the Gamut Masks docker after editing/creating/duplicating the mask) :white_check_mark:

Additional tests:

• Gamut masks docker - Assign a tag to a mask :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Filter by tag :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Remove tag from mask :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Restarting Krita keeps saved changes :white_check_mark:
2 Likes

I decided to sign up for testing the “Brush Tips”. (*5)

Preparation:
Downloaded requested Brush Tip file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” and checked its content with abrMate (*1). Included are the three Brush Tips:

1. 3 cartoon eye by cr_1
  2. 3 cartoon eye by cr_2
  3. 3 cartoon eye by cr_3

Test performed on a PC with Windows 10 Pro and krita-nightly-x64-5.0.0-beta1-7f1fe37732 in a separate user account, always tested on my default canvas template, deleted “resourcecache.sqlite” from the resource folder after each test.

Information from Krita >> Help >> Report Bug

Krita

Version: 5.0.0-beta1 (git 7f1fe37)
Languages: en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, de_DE, de, en_US, en
Hidpi: true

Qt

Version (compiled): 5.12.11
Version (loaded): 5.12.11

OS Information

Build ABI: x86_64-little_endian-llp64
Build CPU: x86_64
CPU: x86_64
Kernel Type: winnt
Kernel Version: 10.0.18363
Pretty Productname: Windows 10 (10.0)
Product Type: windows
Product Version: 10

OpenGL Info

Vendor: “ATI Technologies Inc.”
Renderer: “Radeon RX 580 Series”
Version: “3.0.13596 Compatibility Profile Context 20.10.35.02 27.20.1034.6”
Shading language: “4.60”
Requested format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Current format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::sRGBColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Version: 3.0
Supports deprecated functions true
is OpenGL ES: false

QPA OpenGL Detection Info
supportsDesktopGL: true
supportsAngleD3D11: true
isQtPreferAngle: true

Hardware Information

GPU Acceleration: desktop
Memory: 98227 Mb
Number of Cores: 24
Swap Location: D:/_TEMP

Current Settings

Current Swap Location: D:/_TEMP
Current Swap Location writable: true
Undo Enabled: true
Undo Stack Limit: 200
Use OpenGL: true
Use OpenGL Texture Buffer: true
Disable Vector Optimizations: false
Disable AVX Optimizations: false
Canvas State: OPENGL_SUCCESS
Autosave Interval: 900
Use Backup Files: true
Number of Backups Kept: 1
Backup File Suffix: ~
Backup Location: Same Folder as the File
Backup Location writable: false
Use Win8 Pointer Input: false
Use RightMiddleTabletButton Workaround: false
Levels of Detail Enabled: false
Use Zip64: false

Display Information
Number of screens: 2
Screen: 0
Name: \.\DISPLAY1
Depth: 32
Scale: 1
Resolution in pixels: 1920x1080
Manufacturer:
Model:
Refresh Rate: 60
Screen: 1
Name: \.\DISPLAY2
Depth: 32
Scale: 1
Resolution in pixels: 1920x1080
Manufacturer:
Model:
Refresh Rate: 50

Current Settings

Current Settings

1st test:
Import in Brush Editor (Import in brush editor, then select as a brush tip for the current preset):

Import the file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” via:
a. Settings >> Manage Resources Libraries… >> Import
b. Settings >> Manage Resources… >> Import Resources
c. the button Import in the Brush Editor
(d. use a filemanager to copy it in this folder before starting Krita)

I repeated the following for a, b and c 5 times each, the result was always identical:
After the import in the Brush Editor window only the Brush Tips “3 cartoon eye by cr_2” and “3 cartoon eye by cr_3” are displayed, Brush Tip “3 cartoon eye by cr_1” was missing at all attempts. (*2) :ballot_box_with_check:
The two imported Brush Tips could be selected and you can use them on the scratchpad as well as on the canvas. :white_check_mark:

#######
2nd test:
Brush tips chooser (Loading brush tips from inside a folder inside /brushes/):

For this I copied 3 folders with different brush tips into the folder Brushes,
contained brush tips of the formats: *.abr, *.gbr, *.gih, *.png, *.svg, *.vbr
Except for *.vbr-Brush (:snowflake: Tiar: I don’t think vbr is supported by Krita) Tips all other formats are recognized in subfolders and they are usable on Scratchpad and Canvas, apart from the error concerning ABR files described in test 1 and 3 this is also true for these files (you can not use their first Brush Tip :ballot_box_with_check: ).
I have not been able to get the *.vbr-Brush Tips to show up in Krita either inside subfolders, or directly from the “brushes” directory. I also tried to import them via the resource manager and from the brush editor, but always unsuccessfully, VBR-BRUSH TIPS CANNOT BE IMPORTED (at least they are not displayed). :snowflake:
I have successfully repeated the test with the working Brush Tips 5 times each. With the *.vbr-Brush Tips I gave up after about 10 attempts. (However, I don’t know of any *.vbr brush tips other than the “Chaos&Evolutions brushes”, from 2010, by David Revoy (@deevad) and therefore consider it unsightly but not as catastrophe ATM.) (*3)

#######
3. test:
Brush Tips chooser (Import a .abr library):

In addition to the given ABR file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” used in the first test, I tested three ABR files by “Andrei Oprinca” (*4) from my personal use stock, “Flying-Birds-Brushes” with ~200 kB and 11 Brush Tips, “Premium-Animal-Brushes” with ~2 MB and 122 Brush Tips and “Tree-Brushes” with ~56 MB and 51 Brush Tips, to check this I viewed the files in abrMate.
Again, for all three files, the first Brush Tip is not displayed, as in Test 1 with “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr”. But the displayed Brush Tips can also be selected for these 3 files and are displayed correctly in the scratchpad and on the canvas. :white_check_mark:
I repeated this test 5 times with identical results. :white_check_mark:

#######
additional tests:
4th test:
Using the “Stamp” function in the Brush Editor on the canvas, import selected areas as Brush Tip.

For this I selected different areas of the canvas switched to the Brush Editor and imported and saved the respective selection as Brush Tip and successfully tested the generated Brush Tip in the scratchpad and on the canvas, I tested this 3 times with different sized selections and finally once without selection imported the entire canvas as Brush Tip and also tested that successfully in the scratchpad and on the canvas. :white_check_mark:

#######
5th test:
Using the Clipboard function to import clipboard content as a Brush Tip.

I imported and saved three images copied to the clipboard as Brush Tip by pressing the “Clipboard” button in the Brush Editor, all three Brush Tips could be used normally on canvas and scratchpad, I repeated this 3 times, :white_check_mark:
this did not work with texts in the clipboard :wink: ___ :snowflake: (Tiar: I think that’s kind of expected :wink: maybe someone could convert it to the Text Brush Tip… but that’s kinda useless).

#######
Main finding, the first brush tip of ABR files is not displayed and VBR files seemed to be accepted for import but they are not displayed. :frowning:
Everything else tested worked. :slight_smile: (And now I’m working on the bug reports. :frowning: ) :white_check_mark:
I hope the test was up to the mark (Tiar: yes :heart_eyes_cat: ). If I have forgotten something or have to rework, please contact me.

Michelist

Footnotes:

(*1) This software can read and display most of the currently available ABR files, except for specially copy-protected ones, and is able to convert newer ABR files created with Photoshop CS versions into Photoshop 7 format to use them in non-CS format compatible software (most software can work with this format, including Krita). You can also use abrMate to extract the Brush Tips as PNG files with transparency, so it is possible to assign the first Brush Tip to a preset, should you need it.
The homepage is -at the moment- still available, but seems to be no longer maintained, all download links there don’t work anymore, however abrMate can be downloaded from Archive(dot)org, this is the direct download link from Archive(dot)org, but it can be very slow in rare cases, or has to be restarted.

(*2) & (*3) Actually I have not been able to find a previous bug report for either bug and am opening two new bug reports for bugs.kde.org, which perhaps may take a while due to the fact that these are my first bug reports and my health, but I’ve already started writing them.

(*4) Links to the used resources:
Flying birds brushes by Andrei-Oprinca on DeviantArt
https://resources.psdbox.com/downloads/animal-brushes-pack
Tree Brushes Pack - Resources Box
Chaos&Evolutions brushes - David Revoy
& the requested file:
3 Set of Eyes For Character Doodles Brushes - Free Photoshop Brushes at Brusheezy!

(*5) TL,DR
I deliberately did not agree to take this test beforehand because my health has been giving me very serious problems for a few weeks and I did not know if I could do it at all, as I have a severe illness flare-up.
Fortunately I was able to continue working here whenever the body allowed it, unlike the normal forum operation, which I can hardly follow at the moment because I often fall asleep uncontrollably and sleep up to 20 hours on some days. Whereby this is a kind of up and down. As soon as I recover, I hopefully will be active in the forum more often again. Not as sporadically as at the moment. :slight_smile:

#######

EDIT / ADD: The first bug with the ABR files is filed / created and can be found here: 442474 – The first brush tip of ABR-Files isn't loaded

4 Likes

@Sooz @Rebecca @TheTwo @Michelist could I please edit your responses? I really like how @Rebecca did those “ticks” at the ends of the tests, and I would like to add them to other comments; and maybe more emojis, ones that would say “Fixed” (maybe :ballot_box_with_check: ) or “Intentional” (maybe :snowflake:). That would give me an easier time parsing them :slight_smile: Oh and I add some more advice to the main post about it, too. (You can just like this post and I’ll know you agree, so there will be no need for more comments).

4 Likes

All normal in 5.0beta1

2 Likes
  • If the name is the same as the existing resource, the resource folder will not generate or overwrite the old file :red_square:
  • After deleting a resource, creating another resource with the same name is invalid :red_square:
  • In addition, there is no uniform specification for file names in resource folders. Sometimes it is “123.KSE”. Sometimes it is “seexpr_scripts123.kse” :red_square:

When you click “overwrite preset”, this button does not turn gray, and the “reload the preset” button always exists. If you click “reload the preset” at this time, krita crashes :red_square:

3.You cannot change the name, a new file will appear in the resource folder, it will still have the same name as before :red_car:

• Cannot overwrite existing resources when importing :red_square: .
    Sometimes the resource cannot be rendered. :red_square: The resources in the resources folder have not changed :red_square:
  • After deleting a file, importing a file with the same name will have the same problem as above, and the resource will not appear :red_square:
3 Likes

Hello @tiar!
VBR files were among the supported Brush Tips, see also the screenshot. If the VBR Brush Tips should not be supported anymore, then the tooltip should be adjusted when importing Brush Tips. The question now is, do I need to file a bug report for not working VBR brush tips or one because of the then possibly wrong tooltip? :wink:

Michelist

Edit: By the way, I found some VBR brush tips in the original GIMP resources apart from the brush tips from @deevad’s brush pack, but even they do not work.

2 Likes

Would be best if you check if VBR brushes worked in Krita 4. If yes, please make a bug report, if not, then… you can still make a big report, but don’t expect it to be fixed soon :smiley: I hope it is just a different name for abr brushes - maybe you could check that too, with abrmate? But evrn if not, I’ll figure it out, hopefully.

1 Like

Right now, all custom layer styles (added by the user) go into CustomStyles.asl file.
I do want to improve the situation and I made a mockup for that: Layer Styles: new collections manager UI/UX design inside Layer Styles docker but I can’t get it ready before Krita 5.0. So instead I tried my best to match the behaviour from Krita 4.

Were you able to add a layer style to a different ASL file (not CustomStyles.asl) in Krita 4?

What new layer style file, can you please say?

0001 files sound like version files, but they don’t really work with ASL, can you please tell me what were the names of the files in the resource folder and what were the names of the layer styles inside the CustomStyles.asl collection? And if you’ve seen 0001 somewhere else, where?

Could you share a file that is never importable? (Ahh you shared it, silly me :stuck_out_tongue: Banner blindness, for sure… I just ignored this big box completely when reading :D). Note that Krita can only read files you put manually in the resource folder after a restart. If you however imported the ASL file via GUI (for example Import in the Layer Styles dialog or Import Resources in the Resource Manager), then it should appear in Krita instantly.

After checking the zip file, it seems like one of the asl files is 0 bytes, and three of the rest have all 304 bytes, which seems suspiciously low…

Is it related to a gradient? And is the effect more correct before or after?

Some corrections are needed here:
When I click on the layer style in CustomStyles.asl, I cannot create a new layer style
When I click on the layer style in other asl, I can create a new layer style, the asl file is modified, but I need to restart krita, then it will appear
(But I caused krita to crash once, and then CustomStyles.asll could not be read. I have to recreate the layer style from 0… )

I have not tried it

in roaming-krita-layerstyles
such as:
{97d941bf-562e-49ed-930e-7061cb27e457}.0001
{41436d13-64ac-4b52-a774-cd947aac74ac}.0001

As mentioned above, the 0001 file is in the layerstyles folder. Asl file is in the asl folder.
I am not sure about their relationship. Sometimes the asl file is changed, and sometimes a 0001 file is added.
I counted how the 0001 file was generated:

• Create a new layer style with the same name
  • Create a layer style successfully for the first time, and then try to create other layer styles

If a layer style is successfully created, the modification date of CustomStyles.asl should be refreshed
In the CustomStyles.asl collection, their names are just numbers or Chinese that I typed randomly

Yes, I import them via GUI

The gradient does have a problem, it needs to open the interface again to read it.
In my opinion, it is after, because the brightness is closer to the original image

2 Likes

Damn, that means it broke completely :smiley: I swear it worked at some point. It should never create those 0001 files. Only work with .asl files.-