Help Krita improve with structured Beta Testing of the new resource system in Krita 5.0

Aaah, found the option! And yeah, the update is buggy — I edited my comment above with my new findings. But the Color Picker Tool is the Color Sampler tool, right? So there are two tests left with question marks where I’m not sure how they differ from the test I now marked as failed.

And I found another bug with selecting a palette, again, I edited it into my reply above.

3 Likes

Gamut Masks — everything’s fine as far as I can tell. Tested with nightly 1c72b2c

Given tests:

• Gamut masks docker (Create new mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Edit selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Duplicate selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Delete selected mask) :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker (Use Save button in the Gamut Masks docker after editing/creating/duplicating the mask) :white_check_mark:

Additional tests:

• Gamut masks docker - Assign a tag to a mask :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Filter by tag :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Remove tag from mask :white_check_mark:
  • Gamut masks docker - Restarting Krita keeps saved changes :white_check_mark:
2 Likes

I decided to sign up for testing the “Brush Tips”. (*5)

Preparation:
Downloaded requested Brush Tip file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” and checked its content with abrMate (*1). Included are the three Brush Tips:

1. 3 cartoon eye by cr_1
  2. 3 cartoon eye by cr_2
  3. 3 cartoon eye by cr_3

Test performed on a PC with Windows 10 Pro and krita-nightly-x64-5.0.0-beta1-7f1fe37732 in a separate user account, always tested on my default canvas template, deleted “resourcecache.sqlite” from the resource folder after each test.

Information from Krita >> Help >> Report Bug

Krita

Version: 5.0.0-beta1 (git 7f1fe37)
Languages: en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, en_US, en, de_DE, de, en_US, en
Hidpi: true

Qt

Version (compiled): 5.12.11
Version (loaded): 5.12.11

OS Information

Build ABI: x86_64-little_endian-llp64
Build CPU: x86_64
CPU: x86_64
Kernel Type: winnt
Kernel Version: 10.0.18363
Pretty Productname: Windows 10 (10.0)
Product Type: windows
Product Version: 10

OpenGL Info

Vendor: “ATI Technologies Inc.”
Renderer: “Radeon RX 580 Series”
Version: “3.0.13596 Compatibility Profile Context 20.10.35.02 27.20.1034.6”
Shading language: “4.60”
Requested format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Current format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::sRGBColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Version: 3.0
Supports deprecated functions true
is OpenGL ES: false

QPA OpenGL Detection Info
supportsDesktopGL: true
supportsAngleD3D11: true
isQtPreferAngle: true

Hardware Information

GPU Acceleration: desktop
Memory: 98227 Mb
Number of Cores: 24
Swap Location: D:/_TEMP

Current Settings

Current Swap Location: D:/_TEMP
Current Swap Location writable: true
Undo Enabled: true
Undo Stack Limit: 200
Use OpenGL: true
Use OpenGL Texture Buffer: true
Disable Vector Optimizations: false
Disable AVX Optimizations: false
Canvas State: OPENGL_SUCCESS
Autosave Interval: 900
Use Backup Files: true
Number of Backups Kept: 1
Backup File Suffix: ~
Backup Location: Same Folder as the File
Backup Location writable: false
Use Win8 Pointer Input: false
Use RightMiddleTabletButton Workaround: false
Levels of Detail Enabled: false
Use Zip64: false

Display Information
Number of screens: 2
Screen: 0
Name: \.\DISPLAY1
Depth: 32
Scale: 1
Resolution in pixels: 1920x1080
Manufacturer:
Model:
Refresh Rate: 60
Screen: 1
Name: \.\DISPLAY2
Depth: 32
Scale: 1
Resolution in pixels: 1920x1080
Manufacturer:
Model:
Refresh Rate: 50

Current Settings

Current Settings

1st test:
Import in Brush Editor (Import in brush editor, then select as a brush tip for the current preset):

Import the file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” via:
a. Settings >> Manage Resources Libraries… >> Import
b. Settings >> Manage Resources… >> Import Resources
c. the button Import in the Brush Editor
(d. use a filemanager to copy it in this folder before starting Krita)

I repeated the following for a, b and c 5 times each, the result was always identical:
After the import in the Brush Editor window only the Brush Tips “3 cartoon eye by cr_2” and “3 cartoon eye by cr_3” are displayed, Brush Tip “3 cartoon eye by cr_1” was missing at all attempts. (*2) :ballot_box_with_check:
The two imported Brush Tips could be selected and you can use them on the scratchpad as well as on the canvas. :white_check_mark:

#######
2nd test:
Brush tips chooser (Loading brush tips from inside a folder inside /brushes/):

For this I copied 3 folders with different brush tips into the folder Brushes,
contained brush tips of the formats: *.abr, *.gbr, *.gih, *.png, *.svg, *.vbr
Except for *.vbr-Brush (:snowflake: Tiar: I don’t think vbr is supported by Krita) Tips all other formats are recognized in subfolders and they are usable on Scratchpad and Canvas, apart from the error concerning ABR files described in test 1 and 3 this is also true for these files (you can not use their first Brush Tip :ballot_box_with_check: ).
I have not been able to get the *.vbr-Brush Tips to show up in Krita either inside subfolders, or directly from the “brushes” directory. I also tried to import them via the resource manager and from the brush editor, but always unsuccessfully, VBR-BRUSH TIPS CANNOT BE IMPORTED (at least they are not displayed). :snowflake:
I have successfully repeated the test with the working Brush Tips 5 times each. With the *.vbr-Brush Tips I gave up after about 10 attempts. (However, I don’t know of any *.vbr brush tips other than the “Chaos&Evolutions brushes”, from 2010, by David Revoy (@deevad) and therefore consider it unsightly but not as catastrophe ATM.) (*3)

#######
3. test:
Brush Tips chooser (Import a .abr library):

In addition to the given ABR file “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr” used in the first test, I tested three ABR files by “Andrei Oprinca” (*4) from my personal use stock, “Flying-Birds-Brushes” with ~200 kB and 11 Brush Tips, “Premium-Animal-Brushes” with ~2 MB and 122 Brush Tips and “Tree-Brushes” with ~56 MB and 51 Brush Tips, to check this I viewed the files in abrMate.
Again, for all three files, the first Brush Tip is not displayed, as in Test 1 with “3 cartoon eye by cr.abr”. But the displayed Brush Tips can also be selected for these 3 files and are displayed correctly in the scratchpad and on the canvas. :white_check_mark:
I repeated this test 5 times with identical results. :white_check_mark:

#######
additional tests:
4th test:
Using the “Stamp” function in the Brush Editor on the canvas, import selected areas as Brush Tip.

For this I selected different areas of the canvas switched to the Brush Editor and imported and saved the respective selection as Brush Tip and successfully tested the generated Brush Tip in the scratchpad and on the canvas, I tested this 3 times with different sized selections and finally once without selection imported the entire canvas as Brush Tip and also tested that successfully in the scratchpad and on the canvas. :white_check_mark:

#######
5th test:
Using the Clipboard function to import clipboard content as a Brush Tip.

I imported and saved three images copied to the clipboard as Brush Tip by pressing the “Clipboard” button in the Brush Editor, all three Brush Tips could be used normally on canvas and scratchpad, I repeated this 3 times, :white_check_mark:
this did not work with texts in the clipboard :wink: ___ :snowflake: (Tiar: I think that’s kind of expected :wink: maybe someone could convert it to the Text Brush Tip… but that’s kinda useless).

#######
Main finding, the first brush tip of ABR files is not displayed and VBR files seemed to be accepted for import but they are not displayed. :frowning:
Everything else tested worked. :slight_smile: (And now I’m working on the bug reports. :frowning: ) :white_check_mark:
I hope the test was up to the mark (Tiar: yes :heart_eyes_cat: ). If I have forgotten something or have to rework, please contact me.

Michelist

Footnotes:

(*1) This software can read and display most of the currently available ABR files, except for specially copy-protected ones, and is able to convert newer ABR files created with Photoshop CS versions into Photoshop 7 format to use them in non-CS format compatible software (most software can work with this format, including Krita). You can also use abrMate to extract the Brush Tips as PNG files with transparency, so it is possible to assign the first Brush Tip to a preset, should you need it.
The homepage is -at the moment- still available, but seems to be no longer maintained, all download links there don’t work anymore, however abrMate can be downloaded from Archive(dot)org, this is the direct download link from Archive(dot)org, but it can be very slow in rare cases, or has to be restarted.

(*2) & (*3) Actually I have not been able to find a previous bug report for either bug and am opening two new bug reports for bugs.kde.org, which perhaps may take a while due to the fact that these are my first bug reports and my health, but I’ve already started writing them.

(*4) Links to the used resources:
Flying birds brushes by Andrei-Oprinca on DeviantArt
https://resources.psdbox.com/downloads/animal-brushes-pack
Tree Brushes Pack - Resources Box
Chaos&Evolutions brushes - David Revoy
& the requested file:
3 Set of Eyes For Character Doodles Brushes - Free Photoshop Brushes at Brusheezy!

(*5) TL,DR
I deliberately did not agree to take this test beforehand because my health has been giving me very serious problems for a few weeks and I did not know if I could do it at all, as I have a severe illness flare-up.
Fortunately I was able to continue working here whenever the body allowed it, unlike the normal forum operation, which I can hardly follow at the moment because I often fall asleep uncontrollably and sleep up to 20 hours on some days. Whereby this is a kind of up and down. As soon as I recover, I hopefully will be active in the forum more often again. Not as sporadically as at the moment. :slight_smile:

#######

EDIT / ADD: The first bug with the ABR files is filed / created and can be found here: 442474 – The first brush tip of ABR-Files isn't loaded

4 Likes

@Sooz @Rebecca @TheTwo @Michelist could I please edit your responses? I really like how @Rebecca did those “ticks” at the ends of the tests, and I would like to add them to other comments; and maybe more emojis, ones that would say “Fixed” (maybe :ballot_box_with_check: ) or “Intentional” (maybe :snowflake:). That would give me an easier time parsing them :slight_smile: Oh and I add some more advice to the main post about it, too. (You can just like this post and I’ll know you agree, so there will be no need for more comments).

4 Likes

All normal in 5.0beta1

2 Likes
  • If the name is the same as the existing resource, the resource folder will not generate or overwrite the old file :red_square:
  • After deleting a resource, creating another resource with the same name is invalid :red_square:
  • In addition, there is no uniform specification for file names in resource folders. Sometimes it is “123.KSE”. Sometimes it is “seexpr_scripts123.kse” :red_square:

When you click “overwrite preset”, this button does not turn gray, and the “reload the preset” button always exists. If you click “reload the preset” at this time, krita crashes :red_square:

3.You cannot change the name, a new file will appear in the resource folder, it will still have the same name as before :red_car:

• Cannot overwrite existing resources when importing :red_square: .
    Sometimes the resource cannot be rendered. :red_square: The resources in the resources folder have not changed :red_square:
  • After deleting a file, importing a file with the same name will have the same problem as above, and the resource will not appear :red_square:
3 Likes

Hello @tiar!
VBR files were among the supported Brush Tips, see also the screenshot. If the VBR Brush Tips should not be supported anymore, then the tooltip should be adjusted when importing Brush Tips. The question now is, do I need to file a bug report for not working VBR brush tips or one because of the then possibly wrong tooltip? :wink:

Michelist

Edit: By the way, I found some VBR brush tips in the original GIMP resources apart from the brush tips from @deevad’s brush pack, but even they do not work.

2 Likes

Would be best if you check if VBR brushes worked in Krita 4. If yes, please make a bug report, if not, then… you can still make a big report, but don’t expect it to be fixed soon :smiley: I hope it is just a different name for abr brushes - maybe you could check that too, with abrmate? But evrn if not, I’ll figure it out, hopefully.

1 Like

Right now, all custom layer styles (added by the user) go into CustomStyles.asl file.
I do want to improve the situation and I made a mockup for that: Layer Styles: new collections manager UI/UX design inside Layer Styles docker but I can’t get it ready before Krita 5.0. So instead I tried my best to match the behaviour from Krita 4.

Were you able to add a layer style to a different ASL file (not CustomStyles.asl) in Krita 4?

What new layer style file, can you please say?

0001 files sound like version files, but they don’t really work with ASL, can you please tell me what were the names of the files in the resource folder and what were the names of the layer styles inside the CustomStyles.asl collection? And if you’ve seen 0001 somewhere else, where?

Could you share a file that is never importable? (Ahh you shared it, silly me :stuck_out_tongue: Banner blindness, for sure… I just ignored this big box completely when reading :D). Note that Krita can only read files you put manually in the resource folder after a restart. If you however imported the ASL file via GUI (for example Import in the Layer Styles dialog or Import Resources in the Resource Manager), then it should appear in Krita instantly.

After checking the zip file, it seems like one of the asl files is 0 bytes, and three of the rest have all 304 bytes, which seems suspiciously low…

Is it related to a gradient? And is the effect more correct before or after?

Some corrections are needed here:
When I click on the layer style in CustomStyles.asl, I cannot create a new layer style
When I click on the layer style in other asl, I can create a new layer style, the asl file is modified, but I need to restart krita, then it will appear
(But I caused krita to crash once, and then CustomStyles.asll could not be read. I have to recreate the layer style from 0… )

I have not tried it

in roaming-krita-layerstyles
such as:
{97d941bf-562e-49ed-930e-7061cb27e457}.0001
{41436d13-64ac-4b52-a774-cd947aac74ac}.0001

As mentioned above, the 0001 file is in the layerstyles folder. Asl file is in the asl folder.
I am not sure about their relationship. Sometimes the asl file is changed, and sometimes a 0001 file is added.
I counted how the 0001 file was generated:

• Create a new layer style with the same name
  • Create a layer style successfully for the first time, and then try to create other layer styles

If a layer style is successfully created, the modification date of CustomStyles.asl should be refreshed
In the CustomStyles.asl collection, their names are just numbers or Chinese that I typed randomly

Yes, I import them via GUI

The gradient does have a problem, it needs to open the interface again to read it.
In my opinion, it is after, because the brightness is closer to the original image

2 Likes

Damn, that means it broke completely :smiley: I swear it worked at some point. It should never create those 0001 files. Only work with .asl files.-

I found a tiny bug regarding brush presets. When overwriting a brush preset, the icon will become slightly blurrier.
The Palette Knife and rotation icon are good examples; here is an non-overwritten sharp icon, and an overwritten blurry icon:

2 Likes

This ‘being blurry’ thing also happend in 4.x krita and before as well when you load the existing icon on the scratchpad.

Yes that’s not a new issue, and you can (mostly?) avoid it by making sure your canvas zoom is 100% when overwriting.
It’s a side-effect of the scratchpad functionality so you can add strokes of the brush you’re saving.

Ah yeah, I have noticed it before when making new presets (especially when making pixel art haha, everything gets super pixelated)
But it happens no matter what zoom I have, even with a very high res canvas and 100%, or even very zoomed out it gets blurry when overwriting.

Maybe not a bug, but when exporting bundles, the Gradients are displayed so thin that it is almost impossible to see them, I think they should cover the whole square in a future update :ballot_box_with_check:

Also when exporting Bundles, I wish the resources could be sorted by name in a future update. Having them sorted by ID (I assume) makes them feel scrambled and makes the exporting process longer as the user can’t shift click a whole row of correctly named brushes/presets/patterns, but have to look trough the whole list :red_square:

Another one I found just now, maybe it is already reported, but if you save a bundle without setting the location, the window will close, but no bundle is created. I wish there were a warning, or the program asks you where to save when clicking “save” when you have forgotten to set a location. :red_square:

1 Like

All of what you write are bugs, thank you very much for writing about them.

1 Like

[ Gamut Masks Docker ]

I’m not sure if this is the right place to report this, but…
I found this when I was studying to use gamut masks. :open_mouth:

When I change the view from thumbnails to details and then back to thumbnails, the thumbnails are stretched horizontally and I have to restart to get them back. :ballot_box_with_check:

・Gamut Masks Docker
Display >
[ Thumbnails ] → [ Details ] → [ Thumbnails ]
or
[ Details ] → [ Thumbnails ]

Krita5.1.0-prealpha-x64_

■ The version that confirmed the problem

• Krita-x64- 5.0.0-beta1
  • Krita-nightly-x64- 5.0.0-beta1-92c6cb650c
  • Krita-nightly-x64- 5.1.0-prealpha-7699e8a1cb

■ No Problem

• Krita-x64- 4.4.8

I don’t think I’ll be changing the display very often, but just a report. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I tested Sessions. (Never used this feature before and I don’t have a multi-monitor setup.) macOS 10.13.6 krita-nightly_b117b85

• Sessions dialog (New)
    -New session item with unique name works. :white_check_mark:
    -New session item with pre-existing name from the list fails. (Works in 4.4.8 but with broken session switch until restart when it gets renamed to file name) :ballot_box_with_check: (Tiar: I mean it still fails, but now it gets an error message).
    -Picking a name that was previously used by another item that got renamed and still exist in the list doesn’t work. :red_square:

• Sessions dialog (Rename)
    -Rename works only once per item. :ballot_box_with_check:
    -Selecting another item after renaming turns Rename… Switch to and Delete… -buttons unclickable/greyd out when the renamed item is re-selected. :ballot_box_with_check:
    -It’s possible to have several items renamed to the same name if created with unique name first. Then if you create another item twice with the same name as the renamed items(that all have the same name) the other items can get renamed. :ballot_box_with_check:

• Sessions dialog (Switch to…)
    -Works unless it’s an renamed item.
    -Switching to a session created with Krita 4.4.8 with documents opened throws an error dialog telling the files does not exist. :red_square: Creating a session with the same documents in Krita 5 works. :white_check_mark:
    -Window disappear after switching from a session with fullscreen mode to one without. With the Sessions… list still open one can go back to a fullscreen session to restore the window, then leave fullscreen mode and then switching session works correctly. :red_square:

• Sessions dialog (Delete…)
    -Works on items that haven’t been renamed. :white_check_mark:
    -Delete after rename works if no other items is selected inbetween. :white_check_mark:
    -Unable to click button when item was renamed and another selected beforehand. :ballot_box_with_check:

• Sessions dialog (Correct/not empty MD5 sum in the database)
    -Renamed items have the MD5 sum of the un-renamed file. :ballot_box_with_check:
    -Other items have correct check sum. :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

So I checked why those brush tips are not imported, and it looks like Krita does accept vbr brush tips, they are treated the same way as gbr brush tips. However that one particular pack cannot be loaded because basically the bytes are really weird, the spacing value is completely incorrect, but then I checked what the “version” is and it’s the version 760627794 (it means the bytes are just nonsense to Krita)… I can’t make GIMP recognize those brush tips either (though I’m not super experienced with Gimp). I think those brush tips are just too ancient format-wise.