Hero's dressing room

i liked the pose in Kynlo sketch 1222 so much, decided to try out some basic values with a large brush - that took me down a rabbit hole to start adding color - and it ended here with not enough time to polish it completely, but enough to call it done

38 Likes

Very nice! The lighting came out perfect!
What kind of a brush do you mainly use to color?

1 Like

Wonderful, after seeing the sketch yday to see this now. Lights reflections adds realistic touch. Wish i could try such art too.

Very beautiful!

Nice job !

Thanks @KIRE!

i have a basic square brush with 75% density that i used for most of this. To start i adjusted the flow to make the brush very opaque and then set it back to normal. Here’s a link to the few brushes that i created that i use almost exclusively - the square one is kynlo plain brush https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJuPwW4SJOMfmf5537romAQVYI0o8UPf/view?usp=drive_open

Some things of note - i paint in 16bit linear space and to get color & value variations, i create a multiply layer over my base colors and using a high value/low chroma color, add variations to the mid-tone and shadow - then it’s just color picking.

I did try out the Blender Blur brush to soften some edges as i was time constrained - i wasn’t very hopeful since i feel those blur brush make everything look like cotton candy, but i actually was happily surprised (not that i used it in too many places)

3 Likes

Dang! Your coloring process sounds pretty complex… And the blur effect came out really well!

Thanks everyone!

@artkrita - you must absolutely try. No one is born knowing how to walk or paint - you can learn both - it just depends on how much time you put into it. A great place to start getting better is to find an artist that you like and do studies - one of my biggest inspirations for figures is Jeremy Mann https://redrabbit7.com/figures/
I’ve done lots of studies of his work - most of them so terrible i wanted to stop painting - but as you can see, i haven’t

1 Like

hmmm… i hadn’t thought of it as complex - I like to mix on the canvas, so i just spray color everywhere :grin:

wonderful. elegant mark making.

what do you feel are the advantages of this kind of coloring process over say 8 bit color?

16bit holds more information regarding color and value. For on-screen blending the gradients are much smoother. When you apply blending modes that use math (multiply, addition, etc.) the results don’t get blown out - they are much more subtle and rich. On the down side, the files are much larger and some programs/screen don’t render 16bit images correctly - so if you are posting to the web. it makes sense to convert to 8bit (or just work in it entirely).

There is an image at the top of this article that shows the same image of a girl - one 8bit, one 16. Look at the highlights on her face and the shadows in the folds. The 8bit highlights are blown out (white) and the shadows go to black instead of dark grey. https://www.diyphotography.net/8-bit-vs-16-bit-color-depth-use-matters/

Keep in mind that when we talk about digital photography and digital painting, we have something in common. Cameras and painters are making images, and those images are represented in bits.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. You are correct. Time put in is the key. Happy Holiday cheers.

The lighting is top notch! How did you get such good anatomy skills, reference and sheer practice?

Thank you!

As far as anatomy - you got it. Lots of practice, and making sure i collect reference as needed for textures, colors, anatomy, etc. While the reference isn’t strictly necessary - it will make it sooooooo much easier and faster. I’ll also point out that practice needs to be effective :slight_smile: