Hi!How do you deal with distant or near scenes?

About scenes,I always speed too much time to draw it. :thinking:
My approach is fistly to draw it carefully,and then blur it.But I found that it no only wastes my other time also makes my picture Inability highlight.So I hope friends here can give me some advise about scene :yum:
Thank you

The best tip I know is to use as large brush as you can! Then do smaller and smaller brushstrokes. This way you can do a lot in a short amount of time, and if the background doesn’t look nice, you don’t have to undo a large amount of work since the brush was so big! You can keep unimportant parts of your image undetailed and with large strokes, and important parts with detail! That way the eyes of the viewers will gravitate to the detailed parts! :grin: And the parts with little detail will be a place where the eyes can rest

Edit: Google WLOP’s artworks, those are a great example on how undetailed parts of the image can be, and it acts almost in the same way as a blur would do!

4 Likes

Oh!
I often use small brush.Maybe it is one of reasons.Also WLOP’s works have many advantages I can learn.
The most important is your suggest.Thanks :heart:

Here’s a video where Tyler Edlin talks about brush stroke efficiency. He uses saved selections a lot, which in Krita are Local Selection Masks. Selections are a great way to still work with big brushes and big textures even on smaller shapes.

I’d also suggest you watch landscape/environment speedpaints, and do your own as well. It’s fun and educational. Here’s a great one. Concept art is another interesting category to look at, like this speedpaint. What both examples have in common is that they give a lot of attention to the general shapes, rather than get lost in the details.

In art, the hardest skill to learn is to be simple. As artists, we have a natural inclination to create detail; we must overcome this tendency. The first rule is to begin big and simple, then move toward small and complex. The few details that show character are important, but the main character is held in the shape. The best art amazes us because of what the artist left out, not because of what he or she put in. — Sergei Bongart

3 Likes

That’s how I do it too. I usually start with a very large brush and half the size every iteration.

Blurring things has another disadvantage. It makes it look like the picture is taken by a camera or looked at through a lens. This is usually not what the artist wants. Just use values to indicate distance and reduce detail. Leave the blurring to the viewers eye which will do it naturally.

Execive bloom and lens flare are also things that further enance this “taken by a camera” feel.

2 Likes