How to - My line art illustration style

@raghukamath asked me for a “process post” so I saved some middle steps when I did my last illustration. Maybe it can be useful even though I am not that pleased with the result. Oh well, here goes!

1. Sketch
    I drew the image on an A3 size paper, first I sketch loosely with a bluepencil, using some photos of my girlfriend, then I define the lines with a 2mm lead point.

6 Likes
  1. Cleaning up
    I scanned the drawing and imported it into Krita (300 dpi A3). I cleaned it up using the tips from David Revoy (https://www.davidrevoy.com/article239/clean-blue-sketch-traditional-line-art-to-color-it-digital-with-in-krita).

4 Likes
  1. Flat colors
    Using the Basic brushes I fill the different areas with flat colors, all placed on their own layers with Alpha Locked on. This way the base colors works as masks for the layers.

6 Likes
  1. Volume
    I apply tones using the Wet Textured Soft and Airbrush Soft tools.

6 Likes
  1. More volume
    I continue this process on the rest of the layers.

6 Likes
  1. Bringing it all together
    Here I start to think about making all layers work together.
    I adjust the colors mostly using Filter > Adjust > HSV Adjustment.
    I have also imported two texture layers with generic watercolor splashes. I place these above the rest of the layers, Overlay mode, opacity 20%. I adjust the colors of these layers using the Filter > Adjust > HSV Adjustment.
    There is an element of randomness to these texture layers, so I try different colors.
    At this stage I thought that a mini black hole would be here magic thing. I added some hightlights to her hair.

5 Likes
  1. Finishing
    I brought back some different colors in their clothes.
    And changed the magic to a butterfly.
    Finished! On to the next illustration!

6 Likes

This is how Krita looks on my Lenovo Yoga 730 flipped into a tablet.

6 Likes

And this is how the Layers docker looks at the end of the project.

5 Likes

amazing ! I admire your art work

1 Like

That is very kind and encouraging to hear! Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like