How well is Krita supported from a development view?

I’m interested in using Krita as an alternative to Photoshop and a few other art programs, but before I invest time in learning it fully, I was wondering if someone could give me a brief overview of a few things.

• How frequently does Krita get updated? Is it likely to end up being discontinued at any point in the foreseeable future?

• What level of support is available in terms of tutorials and in the community (as a general rule)?

If I do end up deciding Krita would work for me, then I would go ahead and buy the Steam version to support the development of the program.

1 Like

Welcome!

I think you’re pretty safe with Krita in terms of support; this forum is testament to that. The program has a long history you can read about here, and as far as I’m aware it’s being more actively developed now than it’s ever been. We get several updates through the year, and a big one (Krita 5) is due sometime this year.

Photoshop is the ‘industry standard’ in that it’s very widely used by studios and individuals, and as the PSD is a closed format there are some compatibility issues around that.

Krita is a very capable program though and I love how the community comes together to solve problems and develop features.

There are plenty of tutorials - including the main Krita youtube channel which Ramon updates regularly: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkIccKaHDGA8lYVmUerLhag

3 Likes

Thank you for this! This is just what I was looking for.

1 Like

Hi

Many release per year, development is currently very active :slight_smile:

You can take a look here about releases to have an idea about frequency:
https://krita.org/en/?s=release

Here a synthesis of year 2020
Here a synthesis of year 2019
Here a synthesis of year 2018

Usually asking question here, you can an answer in the day (but sometimes it could be longer :sweat_smile:, it will depend of availability of users here too :slight_smile: )

Grum999

2 Likes

Just want to add that Krita is not a replacement for Photoshop. Photoshop is an all purpose photo editing tool while Krita is a painting tool and aims to be just that. There is some overlap but when you are looking to completely replace Photoshop, Krita allone probably won’t do.

I mention it because there were some complains in the past about “missing” capabilities for photo editing or graphics design.

3 Likes