I would like your help

It is time for me, to stop the experiment painting, decide what style I need to do, “as my style”. I would like to conduct a poll, from my painting gallery, which style do you think should be my signature style. This is the link to my painting gallery, Profile - Sydney - Krita Artists
Thank you for your participations.

1 Like

Forgive me, but to my mind one can’t ‘choose’ their style you just have to go with it… I mean maybe you can force different styles for different jobs to some extent once you have a lot of commercial experience under your belt…but I think if you try to force it constantly you’ll just be frustrated…of course whadda I know I’m just a dabbler…

4 Likes

kacart, your a Krita e-friend. However we have to agree to disagree. If you check the good artist of today, and yesteryear, you know just by their style if u follow one, that is “X” work. I want to do a style, that I can label, as “my style”. I get most of my references from Pinterest, if I want a watercolor, I know 2 or 3 artist, that only do watercolor. Same applies, for oil paintings, portraits, you get what I am trying to say.

I understand what you are saying, but feel like you have to ‘find’ your own style … it’s the same in almost any creative field. I dunno…let’s see what others say. Enjoy!

1 Like

Do what you enjoy and that is you style.

I think you strongest skill is colour, as seen in the Einstein, Chaos and Cityscape 3 pieces. Those are great!

However, I’d say that your second strongest thing is curiosity - trying new things, new motifs, new ways of drawing/painting. That is what great artists do i.m.o.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t give you any advice on that, it’s a decision you have to fell on your own.
But I want to tell you that I would not make such a decision, why should I limit myself and deprive myself of the joy of painting whatever I feel like at any given time?

If I were in an employment relationship, would be a dependent artist, okay, then I would probably have to follow a style, whether I want or not, to earn a living.

But why should I do that to myself? Why harm myself? I already live in a nursing home, the only one I will have to follow is the reaper, I can give everyone else the finger and go on doing what I feel like doing. Enjoying the things that remain instead of neutering my creativity.

Michelist

4 Likes

You already have a style with how your work turns out. It’s in the angle of the strokes that you use, it’s even in your black and white paintings/sketches. It’s in the way you do your artwork.

Just do the subjects that you find interesting! I do like how your landscape paintings have turned out btw and also the kitty cats! Those are my favorites, but you go with what fascinates you most. Notice my galleries (both here and on Wix.) I do whatever catches my attention at the time. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Just do your best and have fun with it!

2 Likes

Hey Michelist, Again thanks for your advice. The reality I face everyday, I am 82 years old. I have many health issues, some life threatening. For whatever time I have left, I would like to focus on one…or two styles to paint. My paintings that I do everyday for about 6 hours, is a therapy for me, as a deterrent, to any depression I might feel. It is complicated. However if you could move out of your safe space, I would like to hear, which one of my styles, you think I should latch onto. Thanks.

1 Like

I really liked the style in Making a change.
It depends on what you want to see, and what you want others to see.

Thanks CatBirdy. You have been a big help for me, when I was just starting out with Krita. We are in a different situation. I am assuming you have a regular job, plus whatever household chores you have. As noted in my reply to Michelist my situation is completely different. That is why I was to latch on two, a monotone, and b a colored painting.

Nope, I am retired you might say, and I do have some health issues. You are about the age my dad would have been, had he not died some years ago.

As I said, just do what interests you!
Paint what you love! :+1:t2::grin:

Catbird…ok thanks

1 Like

URaveragebi, thanks…so you like the cityscape watercolors?

1 Like

Yes! They look great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you have an illustrative style as well as a painterly style. It’s ok to have more than one when you approach different subjects. It helps to keep you flexible, but I know what you mean by wanting one style to be recognized for. That will only come with more work. Do more and see which style you deeply enjoy more and if you find that you gravitate towards that style more then that is your natural bent. You can have ‘seasons’ in your art as well…and switch over to another style of yours and back again! Many Old Masters used different mediums in creating art.

2 Likes

Sydney, I can’t advise you to do anything that I am reluctant to do myself. I can only tell you that I really like both your portraits and your environmental studies, without exception and regardless of their style.
I think you would not have painted these pictures if, at the moment of deciding “I’m going to paint this very picture now”, they had not given you something that satisfied you - even if it was only at that moment. Further, I think you’d be better off trying to preserve that moment rather than submitting to a self-imposed doctrine, but here I’m already in an area I didn’t want to enter - telling you what to do.
If you absolutely want to restrict yourself, then do so, I can’t stop you, for me this would not be a viable path, not even a conceivable option. I would strive to preserve my moments of satisfaction rather than submit to a norm, even a self-imposed one.

Michelist

1 Like

Hi @Sydney — Is it making you feel unhappy when you vary your subjects and painting styles? If yes, then pick one or two. Whatever you decide, I hope we get to keep seeing you work magic with colours the way you’ve been doing.

3 Likes

But their style just happens to be how they paint. They don’t contrive it. They are probably influenced by their culture or their favourite artists but thhat is a natural process. You’ll enjoy your work much more if you just do whatever you do and develop your own style naturally instead of trying to be something specific.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.