Interface Overflows Screen

Hello, I just installed Krita 4.3.0 on Ubuntu and unfortunately the UI overflows the available screen (1920x1080) space on the bottom making a number of items inaccessible. Doing a search I’ve seen that others have had this problem as well. However the advice they were given (right click toolbox and resize icons) does not exist on my screen - well maybe it does but is simply being displayed off screen (right clicking toolbox brings up a list of options but icons isn’t one of them).

So is there a way to force Krita to resize its UI so that it fits within my screen? Note that of the applications I use, this problem is unique to Krita.

Thanks. Jim

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?
Where did you get krita 4.3.0 from?

For clarification, please make a full screen screenshot and post it in a reply.

Can you download the current release 4.4.3 appimage from here:
Krita Desktop | Krita

Then right-click it and select Properties, go to the Permissions tab and enable the Execute option to make it executable.
The run it by double clicking it and see if that still has the problem.

Hi,
Using POP 20.10, which is derived from Ubuntu and using Gnome. Installed Krita from the POP store.
Screenshot follows.

Followed your instructions re installing from appimage, Krita opens windowed rather than full screen and the entire UI does fit within the desktop, as does the new file dialog, which as you can see from the screenshot got cropped off at the bottom leaving the Create button inaccessible.

Do you know of any potential operational differences when using the appimage version?

Thanks for the suggestion re appimage. Jim

Krita should be okay in 1920 x1080 screen, Have you scaled up your UI in the settings?
As a workaround you can do this:

Ubuntu documentation:

• Hold down Super key and drag the window
  • Move or resize a window using only the keyboard. Press Alt+F7 to move a window or Alt+F8 to resize. Use the arrow keys to move or resize, then press Enter to finish, or press Esc to return to the original position and size.

Using the appimage has no operational differences compared to using your distribution’s repository installation.
As you’ve just seen, the latest formal release of krita is easily available if you use the appimage and also you’ll be able to download and try the public beta versions of future releases, which is always fun to do. The appimage is built by the krita developers.

As a matter of interest, if you use the flatpak then that does have an operational difference and that difference can be useful in some situations as described in this topic:
Guide to testing latest Krita nightlies on linux using Flatpak

Thanks for info re functionality of appimage vs flatpak. Note I downloaded and installed a version on Windows w/o problem. At this point I am simply evaluating Krita. I had installed a very early version some years back but never pursued it.

Re raghukamath comment, yes I did scale up the UI but that should be irrelevant.

Thanks again. Jim

That is the reason the window is going out of the screen. I don’t know for sure but there is an option for hidpi screens inside Krita as well.