KRITA 4.4.2 CAGE MODE (in-depth 2021 tutorial inside the transform tool)

Continuing the series on the different modes of transformation in Krita!!!
Today, it’s all about the CAGE. I believe it is more powerful and faster than the warp tool. To demonstrate its strength, I will make quick changes to a cartoon character I created especially for the tutorial.

Since I am French, I had to make a frog… LOL and why not, make my character one of the most famous three musketeers: D’ARTAGNAN!!!

Let me know if you like that little character. I appreciate your feedback.

Chapters
00:00 Introduction
00:53 How do I set up my anchor points? (showing how to start and also how to add extra anchors)
02:26 Can I still move and/or rotate my image while in the Cage mode?
03:20 What you cannot do!
04:22 Demonstration
04:50 Adjust granularity
07:55 Conclusion (Introducing the next tutorial)

Click here to see the tutorial. Have a great week.
Cage transform tool

3 Likes

Another very good video :slight_smile:

I used the Cage Transform on a 4000 x 3000 photograph and zoomed in close to work on a small detail.

For The Granularity, using values of 4 or 32, Real had little effect I could see on the final result.
Preview had a small effect on the appearance during anchor point adjustment but there was no better/worse effect that I could see.

You used the Cage to surround the entire area of the artwork you were transforming, which is probably the main way of using it.

With local use of the Cage, you can use it to break/cut an artwork.
Used carefully, you can even peel the colour from a rose:

1 Like

I am so glad you tested the granularity function. I was starting to wonder if I was blind.

Maybe, I should contact Krita and ask them what this granularity is really about and how to best use it?
As for your test… Using the cage to cut the image is something that I didn’t think about. Good call on that point.

Ah, Krita isn’t a person, so you cannot contact them :P. The manual (Transform Tool — Krita Manual 4.4.0 documentation) says “This adjusts the precision of the cage transform grid. Lower precision gives more speed but also gives less precise results.”

Btw, I shared your video on twitter :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing the video on Twitter. I am new and it is hard to get known out there. You are the kindest person ever. THANK YOU :blush: