Krita 4.4.3 Plus - Resizing window generate a flickering

Hi,

Don’t know if problem is known or not and if bug on next/plus version can already be reported…

When I resize window, it seems the menubar&status are cropped and/or produce an extra space
This generate a bad flickering effect…

Can’t tell from which build it appeared…
At least, it was already here in following build:

• Krita 4.4.3 c0196f1
  • Krita 5.0.0 86f9fd1
    (tested appimage on Debian 10)

Can’t produce problem on 4.4.2 appimage (and I don’t remember to got this effect on previous 5.0.0 and 4.4.3 build, but I don’t all of keep :sweat_smile:)

Example of produced effect:

Reading webm file in VLC allows to read frame per frame; here 2 frames where we can see menubar and status suffering:

Grum999

I see this with the 4.4.2 appimage on Debian 10 (and also the 4.4.3-alpha and 5.0.0-prealpha).

It only happens with vertical resizing and it only happens if there’s an image open.
It doesn’t happen if canvas graphics acceleration is turned off.

OpenGL Info

Vendor: “NVIDIA Corporation”
Renderer: “GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2”
Version: “4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.80.02”
Shading language: “4.60 NVIDIA”
Requested format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Current format: QSurfaceFormat(version 4.6, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Version: 4.6
Supports deprecated functions true
is OpenGL ES: false

QPA OpenGL Detection Info
supportsDesktopGL: true
supportsOpenGLES: true
isQtPreferOpenGLES: false

If you have a more powerful graphics card than me, maybe the more recent builds are putting more stress on the GPU?

You’re right
I’m confused, I don’t know how I missed this :flushed:
Just tested all version I have, problem is already here from 4.1.7

If nobody noticed it before, it might not be such a disturbing problem :sweat_smile:

Yes and no :crazy_face:

The problem is not the same, but you can see a very strange string in window title bar: it stretched horizontally or vertically according to resize action…

This also occurs when no document is opened (but that’s barely noticeable)
But I can’t say if it’s related or not… :thinking:

But it’s right that with graphic acceleration off, the big flickering effect is not here anymore…

My GC is strong enough to support many more than a window resizing :slight_smile:

Vendor: “NVIDIA Corporation”
Renderer: “GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2”
Version: “4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.181.07”
Shading language: “4.60 NVIDIA”
Requested format: QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Current format: QSurfaceFormat(version 4.6, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 0, stencilBufferSize 0, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Version: 4.6

I have a doubt that is stressing the GPU…

On my laptop, with a less powerfull GC, problem is the same

Vendor: “Intel Open Source Technology Center”
Renderer: "Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) "
Version: “3.0 Mesa 18.3.6”
Shading language: “1.30”
Requested format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::CompatibilityProfile)
Current format: QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(DeprecatedFunctions), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize 8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DoubleBuffer, swapInterval 0, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Version: 3.0

Grum999

I just tested some other Qt application, I got the same problem with title bar.
I’m pretty sure that if appliciation was using graphic acceleration the same flickering problem will occurs.

So it seems to be a Qt bug, don’t think that Krita’s team can do anything on it…

Grum999

The thought that later builds were stressing the GPU was based on your initial statemement that you didn’t see it on 4.4.2.
So that’s my nice theory shot down :slight_smile:

Also, from a practical and pragmatic point of view, it only happens with a quite rare event and doesn’t affect normal use.
If it is a Qt bug then that’s the thing - nothing to do but tell them, which has it’s own problems and complications.

I didn’t see it on all Qt application running on my Debian… :dizzy_face: and yet I have …
Don’t know why today I’m seeing this…

Yes, I don’t resize windows all the time, they are often (almost always) in maximized state…

So nothing to do for this.

Thanks for time passed on this subject, at least I know that’s not a Krita’s relative problem :slight_smile:

Grum999

1 Like