Krita 4.4 crashes on macbook when launching from .kra

Hi, downloaded 4.4 yesterday. I have been using 4.3 all summer with great results.

But, now Krita crashes on loading screen when I attempt to open from a newly saved .kra file.

I’ve been messing with other files, older projects and I’m finding that more than half the time I can’t launch Krita from the .kra file without it crashing. But if I open Krita and then launch the file it usually works…IDK

Crash report:

Process:               krita [722]
Path:                  /Applications/krita.app/Contents/MacOS/krita
Identifier:            org.krita
Version:               4.4.0 (???)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           krita [722]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-10-16 15:39:39.151 -0400
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        518285E2-877F-2FB4-560B-AE2BBF8734BA

Time Awake Since Boot: 490 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [722]

Hi, the text file you showed is not really helpful for developers. It would be better to get a backtrace - https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/sharing_krita_logs.html#crash-log-and-backtrace or provide the test file that you cannot open.

Btw I am currently working on a crash on loading for some of my files, so maybe (hopefully) it’s the same issue.

EDIT: Do you have any FIll Layers in that file? Possibly with a pattern? Possibly with a mask?

Thanks for getting in touch. I don’t have lldb and can’t seem to get it at the moment.

Here is the file that crashes Krita (but I am seeing that every .kra file will crash the program if I try to open Krita through the file)

File

Yes, I have two Fill Layers, one with a color, the other with a pattern. But, it also happens on files that do not use the Fill Layer…

If you open Krita normally and then try to open those files, do they (all) open or (all) crash Krita? Or something else?

So, I open Krita, then open a file, works fine EXCEPT for the one I sent you.

I open Krita, I open plantawareness2.kra inside krita, CRASH.
I open Krita, I open any other .kra, no problem.
I open Krita, I open any other .kra, then I open plantawareness2.kra, CRASH.
Wild.

And none of the .kra will open if Krita isn’t already running.

That 'Plant Awareness2.kra" file crashes 4.3.0 and 4.4.0 on Linux and Windows 10 when I try to open it.

Here is the Windows crash log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5fcmycgcy4u8m5/Plant%20Awareness-crash.log?dl=1

The document is CMYK Chemical Proof but one layer is RGB default profile and that layer is called “plant eyes.jpg”.

Ah. I suppose competing colorspaces would make a mess of it.

Nah - Krita should be able to handle them. So it’s only good that you’ve found this so we can fix it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw since it’s crashing on 4.3. as well, it’s not the same bug report as https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427866 . @AhabGreybeard will you report it or should I? (Just the file needs to be reduced first - either resized or cropped - because it’s quite big).

@tiar I’d prefer that you report this one.

(How could the file be resized or cropped if it can’t be opened?)

I also meet crash when opening a picture file from desktop. What I did was right click and open with krita.

macOS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro 2012
Krita 4.4.0

Tried your suggestion, but still crashes on loading.

Honestly, I feel dumb for updating my os and krita in the same week. All my problems started there. (Also experiencing my os crashing randomly with different programs, not krita related) :man_juggling: