Krita 5.0 released!

Krita 5.0 released!

After many years of hard work, we’re excited to present to you Krita 5.0!
This is a huge release, with a lot of new features and improvements.

Read More

51 Likes

This is a huge release, with a lot of new features and improvements. Some highlights:

• The way Krita handles things like brushes, gradients and palettes, as well as tagging, has been completely revamped. The new system is much faster, uses much less memory and is much more dependable!
  • Gradients have been improved: they are much more smoothed and can handle wider gamuts.
  • The smudge brush engine has been completely rewritten, and we’ve got a new brush engine, based on MyPaint
  • The Animation system has been overhauled, with both user interface improvements and new features, such as clone frames and animated transform masks
  • Krita now has a built-in storyboard editor!
  • There’s a recorder to create a video out of your painting sessions

And much, much more! For a complete overview, read the release notes.

If you have bought Krita in the Windows Store, the Epic Store, Steam or the Google Play Store, you will get an update when the stores have processed the application submission. We will keep Krita 5 in the stores at the old base price until around January 10th, so grab your chance!

From Krita 5.0 onwards, Krita will also be submitted to the Apple Store!

Krita is a free and open source project. Please consider supporting the project by joining the development fund, donating or by buying training videos! With your support, we can keep the core team working on Krita full-time.

Download

Note on File Compatibility with Krita 4.x and Krita 3.x files:

• Krita 5.0 is a major release of Krita. Krita 5.0 cannot load vector layers created before Krita 3.0 and >has a completely reworked resource system.
  • Krita 5.0 has an updated brush preset file format (.kpp). Krita 4 and earlier cannot use brush presets >created in Krita 5.
  • Krita 5.0 fixed an issue with text size in documents. However, opening files created with earlier versions of Krita may require changing a setting to get the originally expected text size.

Windows

If you’re using the portable zip files, just open the zip file in Explorer and drag the folder somewhere convenient, then double-click on the krita icon in the folder. This will not impact an installed version of Krita, though it will share your settings and custom resources with your regular installed version of Krita. For reporting crashes, also get the debug symbols folder.

Note that we are not making 32 bits Windows builds anymore.

Linux

The separate gmic-qt appimage is no longer needed.

(If, for some reason, Firefox thinks it needs to load this as text: to download, right-click on the link.)

macOS

Note: if you use macOS Sierra or High Sierra, please check this video to learn how to enable starting developer-signed binaries, instead of just Apple Store binaries.

Android

We consider Krita on ChromeOS as ready for production. Krita on Android is still beta. Krita is not available for Android phones, only for tablets, because the user interface needs a large screen.

Source code

md5sum

For all downloads:

Key

The Linux appimage and the source .tar.gz and .tar.xz tarballs are signed. You can retrieve the public key here. The signatures are here (filenames ending in .sig).

This post was published on krita.org

24 Likes

Gr8! So one mere human can surely uninstall v4?
How about brushes from V4? Should I completely uninstall all Krita’s v4 stuff and then
install brushsets one by one, in v5?

From Krita 5.0 onwards, Krita will also be submitted to the Apple Store!

I hope one day it will appear on iPads at last! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, you can just install 5. Brushes will be visible there. Tags will be lost, I think. But brishes and other things will stay.

2 Likes

sorry to keep harping on about this, but this bug is still present in the release. it’s been present from krita 4.4.2

1 Like

Yes, I found that too. And it only happens to me when I switch to Windows Ink in tablet setting.
Can’t reproduce it with mouse, WinTab, and on Linux.

Edit: After some more test, I find the bug only occur when turn on Digital Ink in tablet driver (XP Pen), in Krita setting WinTab and Windows choice does not affect.

either wintab or windows ink causes the bug for me.

Yes, we focused this release on getting tagging bugs fixed. That took 3 years because it required a rewrite.

Woo-Hoo! Excellent! Thank You and All the Developers!!!
Will make a new donation shortly! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

got it, that’s great. is it safe to assume that future releases will deal with bugs like this?

So…I have to re-tag and recreate all my ‘favorites?’

As long as we can reproduce bugs, we intend to fix them yes. We close them if we do not intend to fix them (with an explaination of why). But sometimes we need to prioritize bugs, and the tagging bugs in question were already 5+ years old, so we’re super happy we’ve had time to do this refactor and it’s now out in the wild :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you

Sorry, but yes. The old tag file format was so utterly broken that I didn’t write a converter for it. I do feel bad about that, but not bad enough to do it. So, sorry…

8 Likes

Thanks for the quick response, and thank you for all your work! I will gird my loins and carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been using it since it appeared on Jenkins on Monday, and what can I say?

I AM THRILLED!

The inconveniences and bugs that bothered me personally have been fixed, and you have lent a hand in so many other things that you deserve huge praise, only I’m bad at formulating such things, so I’ll just say to everyone who has part in this,

“Thank you so much for making this possible, you are great!”

Michelist

8 Likes

Downloaded and started trying it out…
The new " drag colour to layer or canvas" option is simply terrific !!
Kudos to Krita team for developing such an important feature :slight_smile: !
Will keep checking K5 for other new features !

1 Like

The new features look brilliant! I will probably die of curiosity as i’m at my parents house and can’t try it out over the christmas days hahaha.

When I had this bug yesterday(krita beta 5), I could get rid of it by just alt-tabbing directly back to krita from another application.

Excited about this new release too!!

Feels great to have some code I made appear on the trailer, that’s a new one for me! Thanks for that, and I hope to continue to work with you! :smiley:

6 Likes