Krita 5 laggy perforance - Windows 10

Hi there

I’m trying Krita 5 on Windows 10 and find it extremely laggy, even for a basic pencil sketching (not mypaint) even on a single layer (A3 300ppi).
I know I haven’t got the strongest at all pc/laptop (i7 Q6230 2Ghz, 8gig Ram, SSD) … but I expected just somewhat better than lag on single layer just with first few strokes … can this really be normal and expected with my specs?
I got Rainmeter widget on desktop and while working I can see that both the CPU and RAM aren’t close to being fully used … lots of resources appear to be available, so really confused why such lag.

TIA

Hi

Looking your previous question, if stabilizer is active, yes, painting is “slow” and that’s normal, that’s the way stabilizer works :slight_smile:

If stabilizer is not active, the problem might be another problem…

Grum999

1 Like

In addition to what Grum999 said, if Krita is still too laggy for you, i.e. after reducing the Stabilizer to None, Basic or Weighted, there are only a few tiny things you can do to improve it. Mostly cosmetic, but if you like, you can try these Ideas to improve your Kritas performance.

What you could possibly try is to switch between OpenGL and DirectX to see which option responds more smoothly/faster for you, and then use the faster one. Furthermore, before starting Krita, you could close every application that is not absolutely necessary for your Krita session with a click on the “X” and not just minimize it, you should also close programs that reside in the notification area of the taskbar if they are dispensable for painting.

If you want to optimize even more, I would need information for a possible next tip, possibly one could still improve a little something. For this, I would have to question how much free space is left on the SSD? And if you could post a screenshot of your performance settings, the first tab will do. As I said, a possible tip, it may be that everything already fits with you.

Michelist

1 Like

Thank you again, spot on again … sheesh, i knew windows was heavy on resources compared to linux, but that just seemed hectic … now way improved by switching to basic/none.

Hi, thank you, was the stabilizer :slight_smile: … but will definitely try switching Opengl and directx and see the difference.
Yeah I always try close all other windows and apps in Windows especially because I don’t have a strong laptop.

You could safely increase your “Memory Limit” up to 5500 MiB. And if you told me how much free space you have on your SSD, preferably while you have a project open in Krita with a large image, I could tell you how much you can increase the lowest bar “Swap File Size” without colliding with the system.
It would be optimal if you had a second SSD in your computer, then you could move the swap file of Krita there - that’s how I do it, for example, and can save myself the following security precaution.

I’ll write down the rule of thumb for this, which is related to the swap space you need: With your 8 GB of RAM, Windows should be allowed 25 GB of swap space. Why?
This is based on experience. Up to 32 GB RAM, the existing RAM will be multiplied by 2 and rounded up to the nearest 0 GB, add 5 GB reserve for Windows, and Windows will be fine with that. (With 32 GB RAM, 75 GB would have to be reserved for Windows! (2x32=64 >> round up to the next 0=70 >> + 5=75)) With more than 32 GB RAM it is sufficient to leave at least 80 GB free space on the disk for Windows, who has more and can, can reserve more.

So in your case 2x8 GB=16 GB, rounded up 20 GB+ 5 GB security=25 GB which should be left for Windows. Then subtract this from the free space of the SSD to determine the maximum possible “swap file size”, Krita allows up to 64 GB swap files.
Assuming you have 70 GB free on the SSD when Krita is running, this minus the reserve for Windows 25 GB gives 45 GB maximum “swap file size” that can be safely allocated to Krita. You can specify more, but if Krita and Windows then “fight over the memory”, it can lead to a crash and data loss.

If you had 89 GB of free space on the SSD while running Krita with a large image on the canvas, you could now allow Krita a full 64 GB of “swap file size” without risking a collision with Windows (89-25=64).

This way you might be able to get a little more performance out of Krita.

Michelist

1 Like