Krita OCIO and LUTs

I found this tutorial on youtube and wanted to share as it was nice.

1 Like

I have to admit, I was hoping to see how he’d use it… and it’s basically as a filter collection… but Krita has no lut baking, so now I am even more confused???

OCIO integration right now is primarily to work inside a studio workflow where the luts given are transforms that will eventually be applied at the end, so they can be temporarily applied while editing the image with Krita.

I have been trying to learn that studio workflow better but most tutorials seem to point me to this.

Fair warning: I’m triggered! :rofl:

Hot take: This guy has no clue what he’s doing. He’s taking a hammer to some paint buckets and likes the result. That may work, but it’s pretty far from what a hammer is usually meant for.

the OCIO/ACES workflow is not an artistic tool. It’s a technical tool to manage colour precisely and predictably. The most common benefit is that it allows you to linearize material into the ACESCG working space, and view that material on an SDR monitor using one of the viewer LUTS that include a highlight rolloff so your highlights don’t blow out. Also, it can be used to preview a final look, with LUT provided by a colorist that gives an idea of where they’re going to go with the colour grade, and also possibly emulating the final viewing medium - e.g. film projection, digital DCP etc.

So all these LUTS are just descriptions of various existing colourspaces that different devices and workflows may use. They are not “presets” intended for an artist to choose from at will.

I’ll admit, sure, you can find interesting ideas just by scrolling through the list at random. But that’s very limited, it’s hard to control, and again, really not what the tool is meant for.

Yeah, we do get a lot of confusion in general because for a lot of photo people luts are just a funny filter like the one in photoshop, while OCIO uses luts for all color management transforms. It’s one of those Krita features that just doesn’t make sense unless you work within a studio context (we have similar issue with teens being confused about file layers or non-destructive editing, asking ‘why is this in here? this seems too complicated’, but once you start doing multi-file project work, non-destructive editing immediately shows it’s value).