So I just challenge myself to do some photo editing and I was thinking some ideas that would be easier to manage to do this process inside Krita.
- brush engine or pixel brush option to activate. This is not important for me how it is activated.
- the color active inside Krita with this brush will target that color in the canvas.
- the brush settings would indicate the variation to nearby colors around the targeted color.
- when painting on canvas it would sample all available colors on the screen even considering active channels BGRA or just BR per example. this is Important.
- when painting it will paint white in normal state and paint black when the eraser is active.
- Opacity might be another factor to have in consideration to target
- it paints on a simple pixel layer.
- My example is with HSV but I believe it would work very well with HSY and LCH. HSV would just be easier to consider for a first case implementation.
- Target Color - This is the RGB mid that will give the HSV mid.
- (Hue, Saturation, Value) Amplitude - amount of range around the RGB mid that is considered.
- Range - Area that consists of 2 tris and 1 quad. the quad is the section where 100% will be considred and the tris are linear interpolations to zero. The sizes of these would be adjustable in the settings.
By painting Black or White you can create masks more easily. This leaves the brush able to do other operations since colors is not coming out but a factor of consideration to paint the mask with. Using a brush that creates the mask is easier to go around fringe cases like you wanting to paint the positive on one side and right next to it painting the negative. this would mean creating 2 different filters at least and editing both their masks which is a bore and very time consuming to set up, might as well be using nodes by that point instead of layers then. you could just make one layer and use the eraser alternate what your leaving in or not.
This would increase speed in creating masks. Would make hair masking easier which is one of the most hardest masks to create. Would bring the elegance of hand painting with pressure to calibrate the amount of masking on any given spot without having to change the whole filter for one tiny section. Technically is not inventing nothing new in terms of things to take in account for just assemble them in another way this means easier to implement but not actually faster to implement.