Monthly Art Contest - November 2021 - Topic - "Hurry" Contest is now closed

Hello Krita artists.

So we completed last month’s contest and the winner @hulmanen has given us a new topic for this month. So let us start the next contest.

Monthly Art Contest - November 2021

Topic - Hurry

Challenge - “Artwork must be made with photobashing”

Contest Description by hulmanen

So, create an original composition, wholly or in part using photographic elements. You are free to modify photos as you see fit, and painting is definitely allowed in addition to using photos. Mind the licenses of the material you use! You can find free-to-use materials at, for example, pexels.com .

The task is not to take photos and make a picture that looks like them, the task is to come up with an idea and use photos in realizing it. You can also show the process shots for others to learn from it.

The topic changes every month. Your submission should be somehow related to the topic. And if possible please add a few lines explaining your idea and image. Each topic will accompany a challenge to make it more interesting. Artists are advised to follow the challenge rules. Artwork should be done in Krita.

You can post maximum 3 Entries and also edit the entries until the deadline. Reply to this post in this thread. The submission will be open until 2021-11-25T00:00:00Z.

We will hold a poll at the end on 2021-11-26T00:00:00Z till 2021-11-29T00:00:00Z . The artwork with most number of votes will be the winner.

The winner be featured on this website and the winner will have the privilege to choose the topic and the challenge for the next month! If the winner is not available or reachable then the 1st runner up will be asked to provide the topic and challenge

In order to have the image featured the entries need to be safe for work so please avoid any NSFW or controversial content. The moderators can use their discretion to disqualify the image from the contest with prior notice. Of course the artist will be given chance to submit alternate image or change it.

Also please spread the word about this contest by posting your artwork on various social media websites with a hashtag - #kritachallenge , if possible with a link to the forum post.

I hope we will enjoy this exercise so let us begin.

P.S. Note we can change the rules based on the feedback on this contest and modify the format. Any suggestions are welcome. We can make a new topic in the #site-feedback category for it. Please post only artworks and discussion related to them in this thread.

**If you have any doubts or question please post your questions in the dedicated thread here →

3 Likes

In a hurry to deliver giant sausages

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Detail about pilot (I let you trying to guess who is it :sweat_smile:)

Here’s the original pictures used to create it:

Used a lot of layers, transparency mask, filter mask, transform mask, clone layers.
The v) Clone tool to cleanup some details on plane.
Vector tools to create logo on the plane.

And I used G’mic filters and few strokes with b) basic-5 size and f) Bristles-3 Large Smooth for the final rendering style

It was funny, I think I didn’t made photobashing since 20 years now :sweat_smile:
(back in time, internet was not what we currently have and I had to buy some magazines just to scan interesting pages and get some pictures)

Grum999

9 Likes

This was a colaberation with @Bleke So I can’t take all the credit. Hope thats allowed.

2 Likes

I certainly don’t mind. :slight_smile:

But I do think that you should try it yourself, if only just to get the exercise. Find some other mountain and forest pictures and try to fit them on top of the original image you made.

And you get to take all the glory for yourself if you win. :wink:

here is one I did some time ago but I thought it was more about using the photos in a painting… All good. I loved playing with photos I took.

3 Likes

Nice! And that fly had better hurry. :slight_smile:

I think I’m done with mine.

I was a little apprehensive about getting painting and photos to gel, but it was pretty clear from the start that setting the scene with a few choice photos really helped.

I saved some process steps:

I made quite a few composition sketches. Something about this was just hard to nail.

As you can see, I wasn’t quite sure what the monster should look like :smiley:

11 Likes

I wanna try out :smiley: - it’s called fire in the paper ship - i never tried "photobashing” so sorry if i got it wong :sweat_smile:

'and fire
https://www.pexels.com/da-dk/foto/brand-kamp-rog-flamme-54627/

and ship
https://www.pexels.com/da-dk/foto/rod-kunst-kreativ-bla-194094/

2 Likes

Go go go!

Very much not finished, but it’s something at least.

Mishmash of photos, 3D render and painting.

5 Likes

Title: Hurry to the shelter!

Nice to meet you. Something went wrong, so I re-uploaded it.
This is my first photobash.
I’m not sure if this is correct.

I made this picture using a photo I took.
This cat is my cat who went to heaven three years ago.
I also used the recording function of krita5 beta2 while I was drawing. It’s fun!!

// I use the DeepL site to translate into English.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

The contest is over we will have votes now.

Let the voting begin!! :fire::fire::fire:

The winner will choose the topic for next contest

Congratulations!@hulmanen

Congrats everyone. Congrats @hulmanen and @KIO. I would ask @hulmanen to suggest a new topic or if you are okay we can ask @KIO too since you have chosen the topic for this contest.

5 Likes

Thanks for the votes! I know the technique was probably not that familiar to many, I hope trying it out was fruitful. For myself, I haven’t really been doing that much photobashing, if any at all, and will definitely be making more use of it going forward.

@raghukamath I was going to suggest someone else pick the topic! So if @KIO feels up to it, I’d be happy to pass the task on!

4 Likes

The photobash was a great experience for me. I always find it difficult and time-consuming to draw, but I found photobash to be a very good way to finish the composition quickly.

I’m very happy to have been given the task of coming up with next month’s topic, but since @hulmanen is the reigning winner, even though he is this month’s proposer, would you like to split the task of coming up with the topic and the challenge between the two of us?

Of course, it’s up to you to decide which one you want to consider.

I’m using the DeepL translation, so I apologize if the translation is somewhat strange.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

@KIO I’m happy to leave it all to you! BTW I don’t think there has to be a special challenge, it’s just what we’ve been doing so far.