My Desk on a Friday Afternoon

A friend made a deal with me to pick an artist we like and then draw a still life in their style. I picked the gouache skulls from @AngelaSungArt because…look at them!: https://twitter.com/AngelaSungArt/status/1303073681669672961

For a while now I’ve been looking at all the lovely studies done in Heavypaint on Twitter—a broad school I’ve begun to call cybergouache. Couldn’t get the hang of the app, so decided to try and fake it with Krita; emulating an app I’ve barely used emulating a medium I’ve never used…

I like the result but couldn’t do what I set out to: Couldn’t go bold and impressionistic enough with the shapes. Certainly didn’t make it colorful enough. The comp is stiff, the textures haphazard. But most damningly, I ended up cheating—used multiple layers :expressionless:

The brushes I made for this have a lot of potential though. They’re nice and chunky and mutate colors with every stroke and dab like Heavypaint.

Will try again with a variant that doesn’t mix colors and scales in size so I don’t feel like I have to / can layer things

43 Likes

So many faults with this picture… but it looks fantastic! :slight_smile:

I don’t mind that it doesn’t look exactly like an Angela Sung painting. Looking like a Scio painting is pretty damn good too.

1 Like

This looks really cool! The colors are gorgeous and the refraction of the water inside the glass bowl looks almost real. The only small problem that I noticed is that the upper part of the bamboo looks like it was in front of the glass.
But still, this is a great painting :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Never thought I’d be happy about a comment that starts with “so many faults in this picture” but I am and thank you for your kind words :smiley:

Aaah, I forgot to draw the rim of the glass back on!! Even after chickening out and using layers I still forgot to check for overlaps! I guess that’s another lesson not to worry too much about this :man_facepalming:

Edit: Forgot the first thing: THANKS!

1 Like

I wouldn’t have known about those faults if you hadn’t listed them in the first post. :wink:

2 Likes

Nice work. I liked the colors.

1 Like

I Love this! Faults my ass! This is wonderful!

2 Likes

I’m in love with the texture and colors. It’s eye-candy.
Always admired these small and self-contained still lifes, they’re like visual haikus in a way. Did u use a reference picture or was it done from life?
In any case, it’s a wonderful piece.

1 Like

Thank you very much :raised_hands:

I took a photo and used that as reference! No way would I have been able to finish that whole thing while the light was still coming in from the window without one :sweat_smile:

I rather like the muted pastel color scheme. And that glass bowl, fantastic work on the reflective surface!

1 Like

𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽’𝓼 𝓼𝓸 𝓬𝓾𝓽𝓮 :heartpulse:

What’s the problem with using multiple layers ? That’s what they’re here for ! Excellent piece…

1 Like

Thank you!

No actual problems per se: I love layers! Even when my RAM doesn’t… :smiley:

It’s just that my intent for this study was to emulate the normal process of working traditionally as much as possible.

Oh ok, I get it.