My exports keep turning gray

Hey guys, I have a question. I have Krita 4.4.8 and whenever I export an image and try to upload it, it turns gray. I have no clue what I’m doing wrong. I don’t want to keep using screenshots because screenshots reduce the quality so much :sob: . Does anyone else use Krita and can help me? Here’s my options when I try to export an image:

The image turned gray when I uploaded it to friends on Discord and Instagram but it doesn’t show up gray on my computer. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or how to fix it. Thank you very much for your help!

Hello and welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:
Can you checkout what is showing when you open your .kra file here?

If it is something like sRGB-elle-V2, can you tickoff the checkbox Save as HDR image in the export option, export and see if it is still gray?

2 Likes

Hello! I turned off “Save as HDR” image and tried exporting it again and uploading it and it worked! Thank you SO, SO much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

And yes, it said, “sRGB-ell-V2”! May I ask what that means!?

It’s the name of the color profile. Color spaces and profiles define what colors can be in an image and how they are displayed.

1 Like

Oh wow! Okay, thank you very much!! I wonder why the HDR thing was messing up the colors. Regardless, I’m so happy that it’s fixed!! Thank you!

Because HDR uses a different color profile that also needs special hardware to show. This means you not only need to account for HDR before converting to it, you also need a screen that can handle HDR. And any further software working with the image (image viewers, websites , etc.) need to be able to process and show HDR images too (but most can’t).

1 Like

Oh wow! Okay, thank you so much for explaining! I appreciate it!

Color management is a more or less complicated matter a digital artist has to learn at some point. I recommend reading this:

1 Like

okay! Thank you so much for all of your help! I will definitely check this out! Thank you so much! Is it okay if I ask you questions about the material later if I need to? Thank you!

There are people on this site knowing a lot more about color management than I do. Just create a new topic with your question and someone will help, if they can.

1 Like

Okay!! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.