Need some advice with compostion and angle

So I have this Idea for a painting but I was not sure how to tackle it. I quickly threw down some concept sketches and then modeled the whole thing with basic shapes in Blender, so I can try different perspectives and compositions without re-sketching the whole ting over and over.

So Far I narrowed this down to three renders I like. The set up is pretty much the same for all three but the camera angle is different.

This one is pretty simple, slight rotation and with a 30 mm lens

I like the dutch angle on the second one and the slight distortion. I think I used 27 mm focal lenth.

The next is basically the same but more from the top and with 17 mm lens and even more tilted. I really like this one, especially because the background character appears very far away which I was going for amd it has a fancy vibe to it. But I fear that it might be too distorted in the foreground and just look odd.

Any advice is welcome. I can paint and stuff but composition isn’t really my strength.
I want to emphasize the Character in the middle interacting with the foreground character and have the one in the background like lurking around.

1 Like

Hi Takiro!

A couple of tips that might help you in your “quest”.

The first one, and the more boring, is that the more you own your solution, the more satisfying it will be, so take whatever tips, guidelines or clues as pointers to a path for you to walk, not as a destination.

That said, I put here some of my humble ideas: For convenience, I will number them:

1. Your setup suggests a conversation between the foreground character and the main, “central” one. Not knowing more context, I can be wrong, but then it seems to me that your foreground character is not shown clearly enough. It might require a little bit of more silhouete context, to help identify it and equally importantly, to help to frame your shot and the direction at which the main character is looking.

2. One thing that has the potential of being insteresting and captivating but simultaneously very tricky to get it right, is the tilted camera. Especially in a relatively complex scene with all those beautiful shadows, foreground character and all, the tilted camera is making your life complicated. Perhaps you may want to try first a more traditional “level” shot, and do your composition in that angle, – temporarily forgetting your more dynamic angle --. Once things look better, then you could try to introduce yet that one more variable of a tilted camera. Again, be aware that tilted camera is not necessarily a good thing unless you manage to justify it without damaging your scene. Do not quit yet, though!

3. In 1. I mentioned “silhouete”. That’s a very important tip when we are composing the position of a character. Imagine just the silhouete of each figure, and see if that silhouete is transmitting enough information. If the silhouete looks like something nobody could identify, then you should find a better position.

4. Your main character doesn’t necessarily have to be centered in the frame. There are several “recipes” (well, sorry: “techniques”) of composition that have been developed since centuries, that “just work”, for many reasons, (including mathematics, as in everything). I am not suggesting that you should use a recipe just because everybody else does. No. I am suggesting that perhaps you can take one of those known recipes (e.g. think of a dialog in a TV series, with two actors in front of each other, and the typical compositions they use), as a starting point. Then, make small variations, first, without escaping too much from the “rule”. I just say “small variations”, only because you say you are not very experienced with that. With more experience, you might try more complex angles.

5. Finally: Do not hesitate in look for inspiration in other artists’ works. Art is, like everything in life, an infinite succession of “borrowing” ideas from others. Nobody invents anything in Art since centuries. Whatever anyone does is absolutely based on someone else’s things. Great artists have always admitted to that. Make no mistakes: stealing is bad; copying is bad; do not plagiarize. But within ethical boundaries, do estudy and get inspired by great works, please!

Good luck!