New effect for picture transformation

Dear Community,
me and a Python programmer (I’m not into programming at all) have developed a desktop application wich can transform normal pictures into center based pictures, meaning that the converted picture is very detailed in one point and less detailed the more you get to the borders of the picture, while nothing gets blurred - no - the pixels are growing steadily.
Do you know if there is already a thing like this?

It could be interesting for saving space when dealing with large pictures with small detailed areas, or when creating pixel-art in a new way…

3 Likes

If it’s a desktop application, then it’s not really a plugin for Krita, is it? If so, it should go to Lounge, not here.

Other than that, yeah it looks like a very nice effect.

Is this effect similar to pixelation? Maybe creating a pixelated filter mask in krita and drawing with a gradient would have a similar effect

No, unfortunately not, the mask only controls the opacity, not the filter options.

Thanks for your appreciation! There will be a second version with an exponential growth of the pixels to make it more useful.
I have created a patent on it, now I want to make the most out of it. But I don’t want to monetize, I want to make everyone able to use. (Maybe except Adobe?)

Wouldn’t an Open Source license be a good choice, then?

I’m not into that topic. I don’t know much about open source. I thought I maybe could give free licenses to all non-commercial platforms etc. (like krita) and only charge the monetized platforms like adobe etc.
Is that possible in any way?
I thought I could spend this money to poor people in 3rd world countries.

I’m sure that’s possible. But did you actually patent this? AFAIK software patents are not valid everywhere, e.g. the EU.

I was asking different attorneys about it. The situation changed within the last years, if it is a procedure and not a software itself and has a technical use (in this case to save memory), it is patentable - also in the EU (I live in Germany).

If it should really not be patentable, at least it is now shown to the world (This forum is the only place where I have been showing it to the world.), so nobody else can claim a patent anymore.

Well, I would trust attorneys over whatever I have stuck in my head, because I don’t actually know anything about the subject!

1 Like

But anyway, if I understand you correctly, you have created, or intend to create, a new file format, not just a picture filter? A format that stores the data in a more efficient form accounting for this foveated pixelization? Otherwise, where does the memory savings come from?

I had the idea of a new file format (for the use of zoom pictures that can be zoomed very deeply!), i have included it in the patent. But you actually also save a lot of memory when saving in png or jpg if I could only find out how. There is a lot of algorithms that make pictures smaller by recognizing similar coloured areas.

My website is now online: deeppicture.de

I know I’m a master of nitpicking but I’ve read a bit on your website and I wonder:

but on the other side in a well known open source photo editing software forum I got positive feedback (’‘Yeah, it looks like a very nice effect.’’)

That’s about KA, right? Then if so, Krita is not a photo editing software, it’s a digital painting software. For painting stuff from scratch, not editing already existing images or photos. It can be used, but it’s not really “open source photo editing software forum”, for that you’d need to check on Gimp’s forum, if it exists, or pixls.us.

3 Likes

Your more than right.
I even noticed that when joining the forum, wondering about the fascinating artworks on the startpage. Yes it was stupid, I‘ll change it today. I didn‘t work with Krita yet, didn‘t like Photoshop and most other editing and creation software doesn‘t have an own forum.

The LOD boxes are curious to look at.

What is a LOD Box?

Well the box with a higher resolution or detail. LODs are exactly that, a change in resolution.

Ok. Yes - if you are talking about some pictures on the website - they are. That is because the pixels are growing linear (1,2,3,4,5…) by each row. We are working on a version with exponential growth.