Orange and teal - How To, in krita?

Orange and teal is a way of using filters to produce a certain look, often used in film and TV. It’s very cool and I am wondering if anybody has experience how to produce the look in Krita?

1 Like

I haven’t done much color grading in Krita since I use other programs for it, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would suggest using a Filter Mask, then using Color Balance. Or to use a Gradient Map (You find it under “Map”) on a duplicate layer, then choosing Teal and Orange as your colours, then using blender mode/transparency to adjust the effect!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try. I was watching tutorials for Photoshop yesterday, but they were difficult to adjust to krita.

The g’mic plugin has a large number of looks, too.

2 Likes

Oh thanks. Haven’t checked them out !

Wasn’t Darktable supposed to be used for this kind of stuff?

1 Like

Yes I’m sure, but I aim to do as much as possible with krita, so just wanted to hear if anyone has any experience. But you might be on to something, it could be smart to do that I’m a dedicated software for photo editing. I dunno.

You can probably create a new layer from visible, desaturate it using one of the luminosity options, then apply a gradient map filter to it changing the left stop to a teal and the right stop to an orange. Once that is applied you can change the layer blending mode to overlay and adjust the opacity until you get the effect you are looking for.

As far as I understand, the effect is more like pushing the shadows towards teal and the highlights towards orange, so orange-teal gradient with probably multiply(or any other blending mode) won’t work the similar way.

Here is an example using my above stated workflow, based on the following image:
https://www.pexels.com/photo/balloon-beautiful-eyes-bohemian-bohemian-party-1113636/

Seemed to work just fine.

Not a photographer or colorist but this is my attempt with a cross channel color adjustment and a normal color adjustment. Though I might have overdone it, :laughing:

Hmmm, yours seems to be tinting everything somewhat orange, instead of just the lighter parts, like even the dark background has an orange tint to it. I’m pretty sure the point is to up the complementary contrast, so dark stuff is shifted towards teal and light stuff shifted towards orange, with those colors chosen to help skin tones (which tend to be in the general orange range) to pop from the background a bit more. Which is why I chose to approach it with luminosity desaturation and mapping the results to a teal-orange gradient for the overlay.

Edit: though that approach may fall apart for subjects with really dark skin, heh.

Edit 2: Seems that adding a bit of color curve correction to the desaturated image copy before applying the gradient is all that is needed for even fairly dark skin tones. I gave it a try with this source image:
https://www.pexels.com/photo/women-s-yellow-floral-v-neck-top-3025110/

I think in general doing some curve adjustments is likely a good idea, you want a good contrast in the desaturated copy with emphasis given to lightening skin values and darkening the background to get the most out of this.