Pattern selection outline color question?

I changed colors of sliders to make it less contrast and less disturb to the eyes. But seems that pattern outline selection and slider colors are bound together. Is it possible to change colors of them independently? Since it pretty hard to understand which texture is selected in the icons list.

Possibly @Zoldyako knows a solution, as he has already created many different designs, unfortunately I don’t know who of the @devs is responsible for this part of the interface and can help.

Michelist

1 Like

Actually I don’t understand a reason why it is was made since it is obviously the strange solution. Perhaps only certain limitation of qt or something?

I will check tonight if there is a setting in @Zoldyako’s and @wojtryb’s themes that allows you to set these two values separately.

Michelist

1 Like

It’s [Colors:Selection] BackgroundNormal which is used all over the UI for selected items.
It does seem strange that it’s also used for the Toolbar Sliders but I assume it’s part of making a ‘visually consistent’ theme.

What would need to be changed is the internal association between the sliders and that particular item. Also a new colour item to associate with slider colour.

1 Like

I had hoped it would exist, and you just have to find it. :frowning:

Michelist

I found it this morning but I got distracted and forgot about it until I saw your reply.
There will be another puzzle soon :wink:

Yep, I think so! :rofl:

Michelist

In qt you have a palette that you can use to get the colors of the theme to use to paint the widgets. Unfortunately there is only an “accent” color available, named “highlight”. That is used for different purposes. The colors you use on a theme are essentially those used in the palette.
Now, the styles (windows, fusion, breeze) have their own schemes of color and can have whatever accent colors they want and still be consistent. For example breeze uses a light blue to surround the selected input fields (text field, spin box, etc.). This way they can leave the “highlight” color to be used only for highlighting things.
But the styles are like black boxes. You have no access to their internals and so you cannot use those custom theme colors. And it is normal since every style does things its own way. Also, one would have to code different special cases for each style.
So if one wants to make a custom widget (like the slider-spinbox) and they want to be consistent with the theme, they have to choose a color from the palette, and for accent colors the most suitable is the highlight one.
One cannot choose an arbitrary color because it is not guaranteed that it would work with all themes/styles, and even choosing a color derived from one in the palette is not a guarantee of good look in every theme (although I think it would be more sane). It also wouldn’t be possible to set this custom color in the theme file.
It would be great to have more control over all this, but right now I don’t see a solution that is simple and doesn’t involve touching a lot of code to make this right.

4 Likes