Patterns thumbnails

Hi

I know that resource manager is currently rewritten with Krita 5, but here a remark.
Maybe it’s useless because current interface will be replaced by another one or problem I explain here as already been fixed and is waiting for a MR… but I prefer ask :slight_smile:

In few word: thumbnail of pattern is currently unusable.

Krita 5.0.0-prealpha: impossible for me to see the 4x4 pixel pattern

Krita 4.4.x: impossible to understand the 4x4 pattern due to anti-aliased upscale:

Expected:

• If pattern size < min preview size (at least 150x150 for example)
    – Use nearest neighbor upscale
  • If pattern size > max preview size (may be 512x512 for example)
    – Use a bilinear filtered upscale (or bicubic, or…)
  • Else use native size

Example:

Grum999

1 Like

Fixed :slight_smile: I used 48x48 though. And it always scales to 256x256, right now. I just pushed it, should be in tomorrow’s build. Please say if it’s still not good for some presets.

None of the interface is being replaced any time soon, so please do report stuff like that. You can do it in bugzilla though, too.

2 Likes

Oooh many thanks :star_struck:

I’ll test it tomorrow then :slight_smile:

Ok :slight_smile:

Concerning bugzilla, I prefer ask here before and then, open a bug in bugzilla if problem is confirmed.
Also, if something is more like an improvement than a bug, I’m not sure that creating a ticket in bugzilla is the right thing to do?

Grum999

Hi

Just tested, it’s perfect!
The hint preview is now usable :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Grum999

1 Like

:thinking:
Concerning Krita-5.0.0-prealpha, as resources management have been rewritten, do you know how much stable the “resources” should currently be?
Totally unstable?
Unstable?
Stable?

Switching from 4.4.3 to 5.0.0 to test your change on pattern preview and urgh :dizzy_face:
Use of patterns with filter layer is completely broken…

(But it’s not related to your change it was already here before :wink: )

Grum999

It should be stable now (stable… as in resources. Also I don’t guarantee it is stable, it’s just that it should be :stuck_out_tongue: ). There is some missing functionality, there are some issues around the edges but the general idea should be working. Please do report everything that is wrong, if you can…

Regarding improvements on bugzilla, well, it depends. Big feature requests is better to first discuss here. There are some that can go straight to bugzilla, when they don’t need any UI design, any discussion, everyone would agree that it’s a good thing to have it there (so no changes of behavior, only clear improvements), best if they are small/quick to implement. But on the other hand, if you see that the previous version was better, then it can count as “regression” (something got broken in the new version) so it could go to bugzilla as a regular bug report. It depends on the issue.

We often say “please do first post on the forum” because lots of users that haven’t been involved in reporting before, they are new in the community (or at least in the technical part), might not understand the difference between a help request (tablet issues, Krita is black, colors are swapped etc.) and an actual bug report, or between a feature request that needs discussion and a wish that doesn’t. In that case it’s better to direct them to the forum, since there are plenty of people to say “please report on bugzilla” if needed, while helping on bugzilla is much harder (and people there are mostly Krita dev team + our dearest Ahab :wink: so there is less people to handle the situation). I’d say that I see you around enough that I’d trust you to make a sane decision where you should talk about something. Also note that there are sometimes things that are not exactly that clear, so don’t worry if someone tells you “oh it should’ve been on KA first” or “please report on bugzilla instead”.

2 Likes

I go anywhere there’s an interesting puzzle to look at :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, what can I say, I’m very glad you find it interesting :wink:

1 Like

What I saw, I saw it because I was trying to do something for which I need a special usage of patterns.
Usually I don’t use them, or only have the most basic usage “fill pattern”
If i wasn’t trying to do this thing, I’m not sure I’ll be able to saw the bug and testing everything on developer side sounds very difficult, or impossible (I know what I’m talking about, I’ve been tester for 2 years in my carrier…)

Thanks for explanation :slight_smile:

One thing is, KA is better than bugzilla to explain complex things properly because of formatting text possibilities: form matters as much as substance :slight_smile:
And it’s practically more natural to write on KA :sweat_smile:

But I’ll take time tomorrow to try to explain properly in bugzilla what is the problem with pattern resources in Krita 5 :wink:

Grum999

1 Like

Hop, done!
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436485

Hope explanation are clear :sweat_smile:

Grum999

I’ll take a look tomorrow. At first look it is really strange since the halftone filter kind of bypass the settings to the generator used. Maybe it is an issue due to the resources rewrite. @Grum999 do you know if that was working ok before?

Hi

It works in 4.4.3, not yet tested 4.4.4
I’m not sure to still have an old appimage of Krita 5 before resources rewriting has been merged… Don’t even know since when it have been merged in main branch :sweat_smile:

I suppose that doing a checkout of main branch before merge and compile should allows to check that :thinking:

Grum999

No need to check it, I remember brush presets either have or had the same issue. It’ll be easier to just fix in the new system instead of trying to track down when it got broken. There is a big chance that even if we knew, we couldn’t just revert the code to that state anyway.

Hi @Deif_Lou

Just tested commited fix, that’s Ok now :star_struck: :partying_face:

Grum999