Queen of Birds

I have a five year goal of being able to do work like Edward Binkley or Alexey Egorov.

21 Likes

I love the woman and the bird on her head :slight_smile: Your shading on this is better than on some of the others.
I think your work is very Brom like - the beautifully weird or dark. Brom in turn owes much to Beardsley.

I do think the castle and figure on the left is a little distracting though, even though I love the textures. Something simpler there would really bring out the main figure. :pray:

Thanks Sharon, I’m already deep into the next one but I think you are right. I added the tree at the last moment so I will chop that puppy down and put the revision in my grey scale gallery. The bird started out being a scrub Jay and ended up being a “bird”. I’m still trying to learn to be calm when I paint since I have only been doing this for a few months and to say I am self taught is a misnomer…

1 Like

Wow, considering that you’re self taught and not been going long this is great!

1 Like

@Sineater Great update :slight_smile:

Her profile is far more arresting now and it’s a more compelling image in general.

1 Like

That’s a pro illustration to my eyes.

1 Like

Thanks Sharon, I left them both up so people could see your correction. Thanks for taking the time. We went to Edinburgh a few years ago. We saw some “Hairy Coos”.

1 Like

Thanks djwateman for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. I ‘sold’ one drawing about forty years ago, a guy gave me a 15th row ticket to see Bob Dylan and The Band play. YIKES!

1 Like

That us a gorgeous painting full of compelling emotions and depth. I agree with @djwaterman…it looks like a pro painting to me.

1 Like

Thanks naloe, uh, I’m trying and that is very kind of you. By the way, and this is true, I got very discouraged about have way through , as I always do, and looking at your bravery to paint that Knight with a Dragon picture gave me confidence to just do it.

1 Like

Thanks @Sineater…I totally get and understand the frustrations especially learning something new, but I am really glad you found the inspiration and motivation or we may never have seen this beautiful painting.:wink:

I’m a bit torn between the two versions. The revision is technically better from a composition perspective, but I find the original more interesting - more surreal. There’s a sense of some kind of narrative which has been lost. The two elements do look a bit disconnected though - like she’s staring off into space rather than interacting with the other character.

The headdress is cool - bit of a Dune vibe about it! :sunglasses:

Nice work! :+1:

Thanks Mythmaker, I actually always have a little story for the pictures I do. My own little world.

1 Like

That is very interesting. The face is well done. I’m not to crazy about dark artwork. But this one caught my eye. Keep up the great work. You definitely have a future in art. Although I prefer the top one with the empty space. It makes a person imagine more.

Thank you Loni_Dove for taking the time to comment and the appreciation of my sketch. Knocking on my 70’s I think I will just enjoy what I do instead of looking for like my 3’rd career but that’s still a very nice compliment.

1 Like