Show donation badges next to user name?

I wonder if it’s possible to show the donation badge next to the username or something similar. Maybe make it a title. It wouldn’t have any use except giving people a way to flex a bit. Since gold sponsors and up get listed on the krita page, it would make sense to make it a available for them in the forums too. It would also promote donations a bit.

1 Like

On the one hand, this is not a bad idea, as it would certainly encourage users to donate, but on the other hand, I fear that users whose economic situation does not allow them to donate might feel uncomfortable as a result, or even leave the forum out of unnecessary and therefore wrongly located shame. What I would regret very much.
It does not matter whether someone lives in a country with a massively lower wage level than, for example, Germany, presumably gets along well with its income in its home country, or whether this person, for whatever reason, lacks the means or the possibilities to make a donation (I know at least one country whose inhabitants currently have problems with international payments).

Very few people are not wealthy by choice. Or to put it another way, most people would like to be able to donate, but they are not for a variety of reasons, and very few have culpably brought this about. Unfortunately, however, many poor people have feelings of shame to reveal this to others. This was the case with my grandparents, for example. They did the most absurd things to disguise their poverty.

And unfortunately, there are people who consider the fact of not having a donor badge (perhaps never having one) as a flaw in themselves, who would believe this to be a flaw, something I am deadly sad about.
I myself do not care, my self-confidence allows me to reveal my poverty. But please think of those who lack this self-awareness.

Michelist

2 Likes

This has been discussed before, but I don’t know if there will have different solution about this, after a year later.

1 Like

I don’t know. A lot of projects have this feature in their forums and it’s not like anyone gets any benefits for donating and therefore there’s no pressure to donate anything at all.

This could be said about the “regular” and other titles too. While certainly possibly how common is this actually?

1 Like

Oh, I searched but didn’t see the topic.

Well, the badges that have been awarded in the forum so far can be achieved by most users, as long as they participate in the “community life” in the forum, are active here. Except for the cost of Internet access, the users do not incur any costs to achieve such a badge, apart from the active cooperation, the participation.
Okay, the time to achieve “Krita 5 Beta-Tester”-Badges has passed and not everyone can get a moderator badge, but I believe this won’t harm people that much as to know they can never achieve these donor-badges because of lack of money.

Michelist

1 Like

You make it sound like the lack of a donations badge is the same as having an “I’m poor” marker on your name or something.

The badge system was discussed. As mentioned in the other thread linked here. There is a issue of data sharing since for KDE I am a third party. So Even when users are given a badge lets say on manual authentication of their donation, it will lead to extra work of always checking if the user has still subscribed to fund or not. We do want to utilise badges, but there must be some automation and ease of use.

4 Likes

Yeah, I read the other topic just now.

There, you have misunderstood me.
But I know from experience that there are people who feel exactly that. I am aware that such things are totally irrational, but not these people. I was active as a volunteer in the social sector and have experienced unbelievable things there. You wouldn’t believe what some people are willing to do to disguise their poverty, and I worry about these people.

Michelist

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.