Someday, graphic design will be there too.(Praise)

And then with Krita 5 or Krita 6 or Krita 7, it will be like this :

• concept art
  • texture and matte painters
  • illustrations and comics
  • graphic design

I am just praying that this dream comes true.
This is also because starting from around the end of 2020, I’ve been sticking more with Krita
for my works. Bit by bit, the things I missed in Krita in comparison to other softwares were being added. So yes, I guess, overall, I love this app.
Giving my thanks to all the people behind this project. Once again, God bless you all for your hard work. You’re awesome.

(oh, maybe you didn’t know, but BoroDante is a youtuber who has more experience than I do with art programs. He uses both free and paid ones. But if despite all that he happens to have developped a preference for Krita as he stated himself in his latest videos, it means that the quality of this art tool is starting to dazzle ! Yes, right now, Krita is a competitive software, just a remark from me.)

Keep going forward guys. I think i’ll be using Krita for more than a year for my main works now.

:v: :ok_hand: :+1: :+1: :+1: :pray: :pray: :pray:

2 Likes

Krita’s goal is mostly to be a painting app but since it’s open source maybe someone else will implement the tools a designer would need.

2 Likes

I think first we’d add pixel art there - since most of pixel art is already supported and fits the rest of the goals more than graphics design.

For graphics design, wouldn’t Akira or Inkscape be better candidates in free software world?

3 Likes

Then it’d be like this :

• concept art
  • texture and matte painters
  • pixel art
  • graphic design.

For graphic design, Krita doesn’t have to possess absolutely every tool that would make the workflow possible. The graphic design part can be limited to just a few things like :

• layer styles,
  • a vector path tool,
  • a vector shape tool capable of generating custom mechanical shapes(a star for instance),
  • auto-snapping or alignment between layers bounds and layer centers, be it vector or raster(smart snapping ?),
  • and most importantly, maximum inter-compatibility between raster and vector layers with arrangement/alignment tools or buttons(they’re called interaction tools I believe and consist of operations like distributing layers equidistantly on the horizontal/vertical axes, align layers to the top, left, right, bottom, center, etc.)

Maybe…

You know.
Actually the new list would be this :

• concept art
  • texture and matte painting
  • 2D animation
  • pixel art
  • graphic design.

See the manifest here: Welcome to the Krita 4.4 Manual! — Krita Manual 4.4.0 documentation

Also I don’t think it would be a good idea to extend the goal right now, considering how much we still need to do in the areas that Krita is already trying to fill. Text is still abysmal, and it’s needed for comics. Trying to cover everything might just end up making a tool that is mediocre for everything and best for nothing. I believe it would be better to just ensure more intercompability with other free/opensource/libre applications that are designed for slightly different things.

Like Krita won’t ever be a video editor, so maybe let’s try to make Krita write and Kdenlive read animated .ora files as a video sequence? That would be cool, I think. Even better if it would work like File Layer in Krita, detecting changes.

3 Likes

The intercompatibility I mentioned is for vector and raster layers though. Not programs.
It’s also linked to arrangement tools a.k.a interaction tools.
Basically the goal is to make all arrangement operations possible between raster and vector layers. With that alone, a big part of the graphic design workflow in Krita would be enough in terms of capabilities.

Yes, I’m talking about something else. I do believe that it’s better to have programs that specialize in some things and lets other programs do the rest of the job. Especially since we don’t have infinite workforce. In fact, there are 9 paid developers and a handful of volunteers - and you yourself asked for, for example, advanced perspective and assistant tools. That’s a few months of work. Trying to cover more fields would mean needing more and more workforce.

If we focus on just a few specific fields, that means we can focus on advancing features that are specific to Krita goals and make them better and better. That includes assistants, for example.

You say it would be enough for capabilities, but if we add it to goals, then it means we invite feature requests in that area - and people would come and suggest more and more. For example, once someone probably said “well if only I could have an assistant that makes all my line fit the vanishing point, that would be awesome! No one will ever need anything more” and then some time later people do need more. If we cater to graphics designers, they will come and they will ask for more things to improve their workflow more and more. (Which is good, since that’s what they’re supposed to do, just, we don’t have enough funds or reach to do it yet).

I believe having animation there is already quite a bit of challenge. And for comics, even David Revoy just uses Inkscape instead of using text in Krita.

Some part of arranging things as you said is something requested quite often and it wouldn’t be that difficult to do, so I do want to do to someday. But adding graphics design to Krita as a goal, that might be a bit too much.

2 Likes

Don’t say just “too much”. Add “right now” :smiley:
And I’m fine with waiting 5-10 more years if need be for the new features.
With everything you just explained there, I get that the task would be monstruous. But, I’m just a guy dreaming
and formulating my wishes for a futuristic Krita. You don’t have the workforce to handle more. For the moment that is. But stay positive. It’s step by step and by managing things in a smart way that this workforce can grow effectively. And the little guy that I am can only hope that it happens for real, sooner or later.

I will tell what I believe would boost things up.

Sponsorship and mega grants. It happened for Blender. It happened and is happening for Godot. Krita should also take place I believe. I have not heard of any of those happening in the news yet. But I keep hope. It might be a long way, but once the “How” is figured, you will boost everything in the development. So take action. Seek. Find. Amen
Among open source programs Krita is a leader in the artistic field. It deserves encouragements, more funds, basically anything to transform it into a competitive software like Blender. You will say being competitive is not its goal. Is it because you don’t have the power for that, or just a decision judged relevant for some reason ? Anyway.

For now, I’m just a little guy enjoying work in Krita. I’m letting you guys continue doing what you do. I know awesome stuff are in your roadmap already. Maybe once I’m comfortable enough, I will return to coding only to give my personal help myself. Or simply offer a potential donation. Time will tell.

1 Like

While on the subject, is matte painting really something Krita aims to support? It’s pretty photobash and CG-element-heavy these days.

Yes, we aim to support that, and it’s our out-of-jail clause for photobashy features – but with the proviso that, well, what happens in Krita is influenced by who supports Krita, and while we’ve had VFX studios interested in Krita – we even flew out to London to visit Double Negative years ago – they don’t want to invest in development, so they don’t get the features they need.

Either studios provide code, or money, or bragging rights (for instance by crediting Krita when it was used for a movie like Little Big), but none of that happens. No bragging rights, no money, no code…

The one studio we’re working with productively is Blender Studio. They supported the development of the mesh transform tool. One smaller Dutch VFX shop maintained the Python2 compatibility layer for scripting for some time, but we haven’t heard from them for quite some time.

5 Likes

On pixel art, wasn’t there a discussion that it requires a whole new internal engine to fix some problems. I think a bigger scope on photomanipulation is easier to achieve. As a matter of fact, I believe I can make a better pixel art tool with problems addressed quicker with gmic scripting than the entire engine to be changed from top to bottom to accommodate issues with pixel art. That’s the impression I get from that thread which speaks about Krita limits on pixel art and having a idea on the depth involved into attempting to change the entire Krita internals.

Photomatting only requires a foreground selection tool to complete. I wish I could finish it, but only has the gui part ready.

1 Like